PDA

View Full Version : Tarptent Rainbow?

joeboxer
04-15-2013, 00:22
Anyone have any experience with the Tarptent Rainbow? I've been looking at shelters for about two weeks now, I'm 6'4 so a bit limited in my selection... I noticed the rainbow is 88in long which is longer than most of the 1p tarptents. Whaddyall think?

Siestita
04-15-2013, 03:18
I'm 5'10 and fit fine into my Tarptent Rainbow. Perhaps for you, though, an even longer Tarptent would be better, if Henry makes one.

When you raise the sides and ends of a Tarptent's floor it reduces the interior size slightly. Also, once while camping in the open during a windy mountain storm, some sideways driven rain entered one of the ends of my Rainbow, coming through the mesh right above ground level, dampening the foot of my sleeping bag. A few more inches of tent length (or more alertness during the night on my part) might have prevented that from happening.

I've been using my Rainbow for several years now and love it. I willingly accept its limitations to obtain great weight savings. I considered buying the two person model but bypassed that one because I often camp in locations where finding clear, flat locations is challenging. So, I opted for the one person Rainbow to obtain its narrower width. I believe however, that descriptions of the Rainbow as a "one and one-half person" shelter, are a tad optimistic. It's a good one person shelter.

bigcranky
04-15-2013, 08:30
You might look at the Moment, too, as it is nice and long inside. I'm just over 6' with a Long bag and don't touch either end. It's so fast to set up and has so much room inside for a solo tent - love it.

Not sure how long the Notch is, but if you use trekking poles you might look at that one, as well.

Doughnut
04-15-2013, 08:46
Love mine, take a few tries to get it set up tight and perfect for you. Light, stands up well in winds, stays dry, no issues. On windy night I had to stake out the doors because of the flapping, but that was my fault for not getting it tight to begin with.

Franco
04-17-2013, 02:14
Joe,

This is the raised floor of the Rainbow with a combined mat + pillow length of 80".Set up like this you still have about 4" at each end.
Measuring from the top of the pillow to the fly in the area where your nose would be , you have 21" , about the same at the other end (the mat is 3" high , the pillow about 4")

Quick tip about the Rainbow set up :
Make sure you use the corner tie outs at the correct angle.
If you do, the floor will be square and you should not be able to see any mesh by standing outside the zipped-up tent looking down.
(see the TT drawing found under specifications for the correct corner guyout position)

joeboxer
04-17-2013, 02:30
wow, thanks for all the info guys. I think I may get one now :)

krazykiddjoe
12-19-2013, 01:00
Im 6'3" and 300 pounds. I just picked up a used rainbow from here, I've set it up a few times and there should be a good bit of room for you. I use a NeoAir XL pad. 25" width and 72 long. No Problems so far. I haven't had the chance to use it on the trail yet tho.

Chubbs4U
12-19-2013, 02:21
I have a rainbow, Im much shorter than you and I love it. Hindsight I probably should of went with a double cause a little more room never hurt for not much weight penalty. I would also suggest the Notch as I have heard rave reviews. I also would rec the So Long, I dont have experience but also heard great reviews and I believe they maybe as long or longer. The SMD tents are also long enough (10 ft maybe) and also on sale.

http://www.sixmoondesigns.com/tents.html

http://www.lightheartgear.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1&products_id=42

http://www.tarptent.com/allproducts.html

HeartFire
12-19-2013, 06:44
The LightHeart SoLong 6 is 100 inches long with 8 inch boxed corners, 45 inches of head room - on sale now!

juma
01-01-2014, 19:39
the rainbow works better for the tall by using a flatter mattress like the prolite or other selfinflating mattress.

10-K
01-01-2014, 20:19
I'm 6'2" and have enough room for me and my gear with enough left over to squeeze in my German Shepherd in my Rainbow. Like mentioned above it stand up to wind and rain very well but watch out - it mists in a hard rain. I was asleep during a hard rain and it was enough to wake me up.

Franco
01-02-2014, 00:05
In 2010 TT switched to a different type of silnylon that is more waterproof than the previous version.
I have not seen mist from penetration with the new fabric.

cowpoke
01-02-2014, 23:00
I'm also 6'4" and settled on the Double Rainbow after talking with the folks at Tarptent...just a little more weight. Plenty of room for all my gear plus good head room to sit up in the tent. Condensation can be an issue but not a show stopper. Sets up quickly.

mankind117
02-04-2014, 10:14
I'm 6'6" and used the Rainbow for a year on many trips but eventually gave up. I live on the east coast and there is just no way to prevent condensation especially in the spring and fall. It was really hard to avoid touch the walls given my height. The last thing I wanted to do was worry about getting wet if I accidentally touched the walls in the morning. I thought that for a single wall tent it was very well designed. It pitches real quick and was my first 2 lb tent. If I were hiking in a dry envirioment I think it would make a great tent. I tried a double rainbow but even with the extra space the single wall was a dealbreaker. I'm using double wall tents from here on out. That said I have a tarptent moment dw, stratospire 2 and used to have a stratospire 1 and they are all great tents. I'd just rather have something between my and the wet fly.

Drybones
02-04-2014, 10:54
I see this is an old post but I'll add my $.02 anyway. I have the TT Double Rainbow and the TT Notch, like the Notch much better...couldn't be happier with the Notch.
1. The Rainbow door is lower and a little harder to get in and out.
2. The Rainbow design allows rain to fall in the doors when going in/out.
3. The Rainbow has more condensation.
4. I can hang my pack on one of the hiking pole supports with the Notch.
5. The Notch sets up/takes down much faster...probably the fastest of any tent out there.
6. Door zippers work much easier on the notch because the tent floor is held in place by the support poles.
7. The Notch is double wall, and warmer.

I'm 6'1"+ and they both have plenty of room. I use the DR when hiking with a dog, if I had it to do over I'd probably go with the Contrail when taking the dog.