PDA

View Full Version : Wolf's Heart Attack

joshuasdad
04-15-2013, 09:50
It was supposed to be a hot day just north of Damascus yesterday, so I started early, leaving from Lost Mountain shelter before sunrise. Mostly uneventful, but pleasant hiking in the morning on smooth trails though a thick forest that was beginning to green with the coming of spring. A swift, narrow river was was my constant companion today, drowning out almost all sound of the outside world, except for the occasional shout from kayakers picking lines through the rapids.

On the climb to Saunders shelter, I began to see the first NOBO hikers of the day, who seemed to be very much appreciating the sustained moderate descent. As I was dressed for the near freezing temperatures of the morning, the ascent would require me to shed some layers soon, but not yet, I wanted to get more miles in before my first pack-off stop. The climb was a little bit longer than I expected, so I began to slow a bit, and stare at the few feet of ground in front of me as I climbed. As a result, I almost blundered into an eight foot long black snake, sunning itself on a waterbar. Snapped a couple of pictures as the snake eased itself off the trail, then, more carefully hiked the last mile or so to the Saunders shelter...turnoff. A quarter-mile off the trail, not today. Since there was no good place to rest there, I began the steep descent down the mountain to my river companion. Halfway down, a more or less comfortable log provided a great place for my first pack off break of the day. A zone bar, gorp, and a liter of water later, I was on my way, hiking a bit cooler after shedding the fleece jacket.

The sign read 7 miles to Damascus. Hmmm, I had a pint of water, should be able to make it without purifying more, but if I see a good piped spring, perhaps I would get some extra anyway.

The climb up to Cuckoo Knob was gentle, but hot, so I was really looking forward to that pint of water. Stopped slightly short of the crest and downed most of it, leaving about four ounces just in case. Passed three NOBOs, the one going down the knob seemed much happier to be hiking than the two still climbing. One young woman was contemplating heading back to Damascus to lighten her 43 pound pack. Most times I would offer help, but hunger and dehydration, and an earlier suggestion of the "Blue Blaze Cafe" as a cure for these ills from a NOBO, resulted in me just weakly offering some words of encouragement, and assuring her that the trail gets much easier after the climb.

I finally found that piped spring, right at the bottom of the final descent, just less than a mile of road walking to my final destination, Damascus. So I skipped it. I also passed a ice cream shop, a Subway, a BBQ place I had been to before, several convenience stores, etc., all which could satisfy my immediate need of food and drink, but would not satisfy my curosity regarding the intriguingly named "Blue Blaze Cafe". I passed MRO, and saw my car waiting for me, but still no Blue Blaze Cafe? I called over to a NOBO who was looking for Dave's Place--I told him it was probably at MRO--and he told me I was heading the right direction. Sure enough, a few feet later, I left my hiking poles outside of a set of opened double glass doors, and made my way to a bar stool, guided by the blue blazes that were painted on the backs of some of the chairs. First order of business was satisfying my thirst, my selection plus a large cup of water was swiftly passed to me. Next, finding something to eat. I heard about the steak sandwich, but a burger at the bottom of the menu was calling my name, the:

"Wolf's Heart Attack"

What can be wrong with a 3/4 pound bacon cheeseburger with mushrooms and hot peppers, served with some fries? I inquired as to whether this was "Lone Wolf's Heart Attack" burger, and if so, I needed to have one. The bartender pointed next to me, and sure enough, sitting there was none other than Lone Wolf, who not told me the story about the burger, but also other stories on and off the trail. As we were watching the Master's, he pulled out a well worn photo of a less worn Tiger Woods and Lone Wolf, grinning in front of a golf course sign.

The conversation, burger, slightly-seasoned fries, and the beverages were quite satisfying, and I would have loved to stay longer, but I had to hit the road (after very briefly considering taking advantage of happy hour pricing from 3-6, and sleeping off the results at Dave's Place...).

Well there is always next time, I still need to do that 35 miles south of Damascus. Perhaps Trail Days this year.

Happy hiking all!

Lone Wolf
04-15-2013, 10:09
was good to meet ya

joshuasdad
04-15-2013, 11:05
Nice meeting you too. I may take you up on that shuttle during trail days if you are free, probably just want to to do the 20 miles south of Damascus then.

I'll try to post pictures later (that black snake, plus ponies from the Grayson Highlands the day before).

I want another of those burgers...

Gray Blazer
04-15-2013, 11:39
AKA the Blue Blazin' Hobo from HeLL Burger.

Lone Wolf
04-15-2013, 12:29

this banner is hangin' in the bar

http://web.archive.org/web/20030208104609/http://hobocentral.com/images/traildaze02/Mvc-230f.jpg

Lone Wolf
04-15-2013, 12:29

http://web.archive.org/web/20030208104609/http://hobocentral.com/images/traildaze02/Mvc-230f.jpg

joshuasdad
04-15-2013, 13:14
Couple of pictures from this weekend's hike:

Pony near Wilburn Ridge on Saturday:

That snake...

4Bears
04-15-2013, 14:00
Great story, a day for your memory bank, plus you made a new friend, thanks much for sharing. That is one big black snake.

Gray Blazer
04-15-2013, 14:02

Looks like almost in front of Larry's.