PDA

View Full Version : AirTran stove policy

alana
04-15-2013, 11:18
Hello all. I'm traveling to Georgia tomorrow via AirTran airlines. There baggage policy does not allow for any fuel powered camping equipment (I.e. my jetboil stove). They only allow it in checked or carry on if its in its original package. It's been recommended to me to take my chances. Any thoughts or experiences with this airline?

Chaco Taco
04-15-2013, 11:36
Hello all. I'm traveling to Georgia tomorrow via AirTran airlines. There baggage policy does not allow for any fuel powered camping equipment (I.e. my jetboil stove). They only allow it in checked or carry on if its in its original package. It's been recommended to me to take my chances. Any thoughts or experiences with this airline?
I have read that the airline policies are that you cannot pack the fuel canisters but that the stove body is fine.

grayfox
04-15-2013, 12:05
If you can check it then do that. If you are worried, you can mail drop your stove. Take the cup with you and use a fancy feast cat food stove for a few days. You should be able to get alcohol at the trailhead and you probably can't fly with your fuel anyway. My cat can stove works well with my jetboil cup. I remove the neoprene cover and just set the heat exchanger on the can rim(just make sure you buy the right size can). My whitebox type homemade stove is perfect with the jb cup but more difficult to make than a can and a hole punch.

alana
04-15-2013, 12:34
Thanks, cat stove info is good to have. I don't quite understand their "flammable gas" vs "flammable liquid" Policy. The person I talked to from the airline wasn't sure either. The information below is from their website:

Flammable Liquid Fueled Equipment:
Camp stoves, heaters, lanterns or other flammable liquid fuel camp equipment will only be accepted as checked or carry-on baggage if the item is brand new and unused. AirTran Airways will not accept flammable liquid fueled equipment if there is any evidence that the equipment has been used.

Flammable Gas Fueled Equipment:
Camp stoves, heaters, lanterns or other camping equipment that uses compressed gas cylinders will require the customer to sign a limited liability release form if checked or carried on. The stove filter or lantern filament may be carried, as long as there is no fuel cylinder. The fuel cylinders must be removed and are prohibited in checked and carry-on baggage, whether they are empty or full.

Can someone please help differentiate between the two? Thank you!

Coffee
04-15-2013, 12:37
Bottom line is that you will be at the mercy of whichever TSA agent happens to be screening you and your luggage. I don't think it is worth the stress and plan to send my stove ahead on the trips this year that involve flying.

Rocket Jones
04-15-2013, 12:50
What Rambling Hiker said. It doesn't matter what you understand or were told, it all comes down to the interpretation of the TSA people doing the screening. In your shoes, I wouldn't chance it and would mail my stove ahead.

gearfreak
04-15-2013, 13:16
The difference is in the type of stove, gas being cartridge stoves like your Jetboil and liquid gas being the fancy feast variety which can have a residue. Your Jetboil should be fine for carry on and is definitely not a problem if checked. Arrive early enough to check your bag if TSA thinks otherwise

melaniebk
04-15-2013, 13:42
Gases are vapor and liquids are wet? We decided to mail our stove and get fuel from our shuttle provider.

BobTheBuilder
04-15-2013, 13:56
You can't take the fuel, no how no way, in your checked or carry on baggage. Don't believe anybody that tells you otherwise. As long as your stove body has no fumes or residue, it won't cause any stress for the TSA or airlines in your checked bag. I take my stove out and set it on the counter for a couple of days before I fly, just to make sure it gets aired out. I have checked an alcohol stove, a jet boil, and a pocket rocket at various times without incident.

perdidochas
04-15-2013, 14:32
Thanks, cat stove info is good to have. I don't quite understand their "flammable gas" vs "flammable liquid" Policy. The person I talked to from the airline wasn't sure either. The information below is from their website:

Flammable Liquid Fueled Equipment:
Camp stoves, heaters, lanterns or other flammable liquid fuel camp equipment will only be accepted as checked or carry-on baggage if the item is brand new and unused. AirTran Airways will not accept flammable liquid fueled equipment if there is any evidence that the equipment has been used.

Flammable Gas Fueled Equipment:
Camp stoves, heaters, lanterns or other camping equipment that uses compressed gas cylinders will require the customer to sign a limited liability release form if checked or carried on. The stove filter or lantern filament may be carried, as long as there is no fuel cylinder. The fuel cylinders must be removed and are prohibited in checked and carry-on baggage, whether they are empty or full.

Can someone please help differentiate between the two? Thank you!

Flammable liquid is white gas or alcohol stoves.

Flammable gas is isobutane/propane or propane. A Jet boil is flammable gas with compressed gas cylinders. You will need to get a new canister, but should be able to fly with the stove.

staehpj1
04-15-2013, 15:28
I started just using an alcohol pop can stove when I fly. I figure I can make some kind of alcohol stove when I get there if it is confiscated, but mine never has been.

SassyWindsor
04-15-2013, 20:39
Reason I started using a Sierra Zip stove. You need to check the legal problems if you get caught with fuel in your luggage. A lot of airlines won't let you carry on a previously used (non wood) fuel burning stove with or without the fuel.

SassyWindsor
04-15-2013, 20:41
...... TSA are afraid of fumes or residue these stoves may have. If it's new, no problem. I said carry on above, not allowed in checked luggage either.