PDA

View Full Version : Need help choosing a sleeping bag?

nc1100c
07-04-2005, 16:09
I been backpacking for several years however now I have decided go lighten my load and by a lighter sleeping bag. I live in Western NC and will mostly be hiking in NC and TN. I'm looking at buying either the Western Mountaineering Megalite 30f, the Alpinlite 20f, or the versalite 10f. I had a WM ultralite. It was a good bag however it was too snug for me. Just not my size. Which bag would be the best all around pick for a lightweight bag? Which temp. rating should I go for?

Sly
07-04-2005, 18:45
Ideally I'd have three bags, either a Western Mountaineering or Marmot. The lighter the better as long as the ratings are true.

December/January/Febuary 0*
March/April/May September/October/November 20*
June/July/August 40*

As it is I carry a 2.5 lb 20* Campmor down bag.

TakeABreak
07-04-2005, 21:22
I think SLY, is right on the mark with the analysis. I personally use marmot, they have been to good me so far and they have wide range in 900 down, from -40 to +40.

check this out
http://marmot.com/products/subcat.php?cat=bags&subcat=33

newhampshire camper
07-04-2005, 21:35
:datz :dance :datz

In my opinion, you should switch to a hammock and instead of a bag, get a down quilt to cover up with.......just my 2 cents

Alpha
09-08-2005, 10:39
I think a fleece blanket and your clothes would be fine, or just an emergency blanket and your rain gear...haha, only during the summer though...

shades of blue
09-08-2005, 11:20
Where are you from NC? I live in Valdese...1 hour east of Asheville on I40. As for the bag....I have a versalite WM and love it. I tend to sleep cold and it does the job for me in cold conditions. I am a hammock hanger also, and use this bag as a quilt, when I don't resort to a tent in cold conditions. I would think about how cold you sleep, then vary your bag accordingly. I think the versalite comes in around 2 lbs, but you may want to check that info out.

gschwartzman
09-09-2005, 00:32
... I would think about how cold you sleep, then vary your bag accordingly.

Can someone explain the difference between "sleeping hot" and "sleeping cold"? thanks.

shades of blue
09-09-2005, 05:32
People have different metabolic rates....someone with a slower metabolic rate would probably produce less heat...and sleep colder. Higher metabolic rate would produce more heat and sleep warmer. That's my guess anyway. I know that I tend to get colder than some other hikers, or have less tolerance for it. I have to make sure my gear reflects that. They might be comfortable in a 30 degree bag without any clothes, where I might need long johns, tobogan and a 20 degree bag. So...I tend to go a little overkill with the bag rating so that I am comfortable. Someone else might roast like a pig (don't you love southern sayings....great to be back in the south). Anyway...that's my explanation.

Seeker
09-10-2005, 00:04
I been backpacking for several years however now I have decided go lighten my load and by a lighter sleeping bag. I live in Western NC and will mostly be hiking in NC and TN. I'm looking at buying either the Western Mountaineering Megalite 30f, the Alpinlite 20f, or the versalite 10f. I had a WM ultralite. It was a good bag however it was too snug for me. Just not my size. Which bag would be the best all around pick for a lightweight bag? Which temp. rating should I go for?
i read somewhere that the alpenlite IS a bigger ultralite, but with a 64'' shoulder girth vs the ultralite's 59" girth. i think the stats are on their website.

i ended up buying a caribou, which has a slightly thicker shell fabric and weighs a little more than it's 'lite' brethern... still nice at 20oz... but probably too narrow for you. doesn't seem to lose any down either... maybe the heavier fabric has something to do with it....

neo
09-10-2005, 01:16
yeah,get a quilt:cool: neo

Newb
09-10-2005, 10:54
With my current load-out of just a loin cloth and a knife I am able to construct quick shelters of pine boughs and loose branches. I sleep by covering my body with leaves and forest lichens. It's very effective.

gschwartzman
09-12-2005, 02:02
People have different metabolic rates....someone with a slower metabolic rate would probably produce less heat...and sleep colder. Higher metabolic rate would produce more heat and sleep warmer. That's my guess anyway.
makes sense to me. most appreciated, thanks.

neo
09-12-2005, 21:05
sleeping bag are out quilts are in:cool: neo