PDA

View Full Version : Boston Marathon explosion

Mags
04-15-2013, 15:34
Not strictly trail running..but very sad.

http://www.myfoxboston.com/story/21982342/apparent-explosion-hits-near-finish-line-of-boston-marathon#.UWxQfZ5wm-g.facebook

Passing this on for information purposes. Let's try to keep the politics out.

slow mind
04-15-2013, 15:34
Live feed: police fire & ems

http://www.broadcastify.com/listen/feed/6254/web

Snowleopard
04-15-2013, 16:10
Horrifying! NPR (WBUR) is reporting two killed as of 4:05 EDT.

slow mind
04-15-2013, 16:14
Another one ot JFK library

Malto
04-15-2013, 16:33
Some reports have the death toll as high as 12 with a number of amputees. Hopefully there is double or triple counting going on. Very sad for folks that were suppose to be having a high point in their lives. One other thought..... And folks think we are crazy to go out into the wilderness with snakes and bears and other dangerous critters.

Luddite
04-15-2013, 16:49
stVery sad news....just horrific. I really hope they catch these cowards.

Therunner1Guy
04-15-2013, 17:05
Makes me sick. No bigger coward than a bomber.

Coosa
04-15-2013, 18:18
If anyone finds a way to contact the actual injured and offer condolences and friendship, please post somewhere ... some of these people will be suffering from PTSD and a hiking friend to introduce them to 'walking off the horror' might be a kind idea.

Coosa
Praying for souls of the deceased and the victims and the surviving family members.

Sarcasm the elf
04-15-2013, 18:43
I spotted this on Facebook (okay, Jester spotted it and shared it), I thought that it belonged here:

From Patton Oswald:

Boston. ****ing horrible.

I remember, when 9/11 went down, my reaction was, "Well, I've had it with humanity."

But I was wrong. I don't know what's going to be revealed to be behind all of this mayhem. One human insect or a poisonous mass of broken sociopaths.

But here's what I DO know. If it's one person or a HUNDRED people, that number is not even a fraction of a fraction of a fraction of a percent of the population on this planet. You watch the videos of the carnage and there are people running TOWARDS the destruction to help out. (Thanks FAKE Gallery founder and owner Paul Kozlowski for pointing this out to me). This is a giant planet and we're lucky to live on it but there are prices and penalties incurred for the daily miracle of existence. One of them is, every once in awhile, the wiring of a tiny sliver of the species gets snarled and they're pointed towards darkness.

But the vast majority stands against that darkness and, like white blood cells attacking a virus, they dilute and weaken and eventually wash away the evil doers and, more importantly, the damage they wreak. This is beyond religion or creed or nation. We would not be here if humanity were inherently evil. We'd have eaten ourselves alive long ago.

So when you spot violence, or bigotry, or intolerance or fear or just garden-variety misogyny, hatred or ignorance, just look it in the eye and think, "The good outnumber you, and we always will."

https://www.facebook.com/pattonoswalt/posts/10151440800582655

Spirit Walker
04-15-2013, 18:56
I know several people who ran Boston this year, so this felt very personal to me. Those I knew all checked in, one by one, but still the horror was too reminiscent of September 11. A very sad day.

Mags
04-15-2013, 19:00
The Peace of Wild Things

When despair for the world grows in me
and I wake in the night at the least sound
in fear of what my life and my children's lives may be,
I go and lie down where the wood drake
rests in his beauty on the water, and the great heron feeds.
I come into the peace of wild things
who do not tax their lives with forethought
of grief. I come into the presence of still water.
And I feel above me the day-blind stars
waiting with their light. For a time
I rest in the grace of the world, and am free.

— Wendell Berry

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8470/8133491012_fe70cb80be.jpg

moytoy
04-15-2013, 19:08
This kind of thing sickens me as I'm sure is does most. I listened to an interview of a U of Florida runner who was in the race. It sounded like the explosion was in the onlookers to the left of the finish line. That was his take anyway.

jbwood5
04-15-2013, 19:39
I makes me sick just thinking of it. I ran it years ago and I pray for all those injured and for the families of those killed.

Snowleopard
04-15-2013, 21:36
Two friends were working the marathon near the explosions, but are OK. One was providing communication (ham radio) in the medical tent at the time. This horrifying event must be traumatic for my friends, the victims, the first responders and bystanders.

It's especially sad because the marathon is a feel good event, with, normally, so many heart warming stories.

HikerMom58
04-15-2013, 21:42
Two friends were working the marathon near the explosions, but are OK. One was providing communication (ham radio) in the medical tent at the time. This horrifying event must be traumatic for my friends, the victims, the first responders and bystanders.

It's especially sad because the marathon is a feel good event, with, normally, so many heart warming stories.

Good to hear about your friends, Snowleopard. This is such a sad day! :(

EriKelly
04-15-2013, 21:46
I know several people still in the hospital from the shrap metal. This is just disgusting. My heart and prayers goes out to all the other victims and families

Papa D
04-15-2013, 21:55
I don't really have a comment - - as a runner this is so scary - - as a member of society it is so scary - - so sad for people in Boston - - trying to send good energy....

Crusinsusan
04-15-2013, 22:35
Again.

:(

maybe clem
04-15-2013, 22:50
Prayers on their way for all those affected.

rocketsocks
04-15-2013, 23:00
This is just terrible news....been listening to on the radio, and just now got home to see the mass casualties...very sad day, and unfortunately an all to very real reality these days......

Chaco Taco
04-16-2013, 06:53
had a friend and former teacher working the event at the finish line...Both are fine, just in shock.

rocketsocks
04-16-2013, 07:03
had a friend and former teacher working the event at the finish line...Both are fine, just in shock.So glad to hear that. What a mess.:mad:

redseal
04-16-2013, 19:33
Being from the area I knew many people in Boston yesterday. All are OK, but still a very sad day.

Chaco Taco
04-17-2013, 11:00
So glad to hear that. What a mess.:mad:
Talked to a friend that was there last night. They were in the Hancock Building. They walked out into the streets and all hell was breaking loose.