PDA

View Full Version : Medical reason thet you cant eat first fue days

Stir Fry
04-15-2013, 17:53
I just finished a section hike. The first day I had a hotdog for dinner. Second day cup of broth and one bite from a bereto, thidt day tryed to eat some candy and almost gagged. It was last day of the hike but did 5.5 miles before the car. Once out of mountains I was able to eat a peice of chicken.

Is there a medical reason you have trouble eating at the start of a hike?

Coosa
04-15-2013, 18:15
Check here: http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?91238-Hiker-Hunger

And here: http://sectionhiker.com/no-appetite-on-backpacking-trips/

For your answers.

Coosa
04-15-2013, 18:34
At the start of your hike, one food source you may want to consider is a Whey Protein Drink [add lots of cool stuff to it ... spirulina, chia, etc]. You're gonna DRINK before you go to bed, right? Well, fill it with 30 grams of Protein [the optimum amount the body can process according to an article I read recently] and then brush your teeth and hit the sleeping bag.

Just an Idea ... YMMV,
Coosa

Malto
04-15-2013, 20:13
I used to have this happen on a regular basis. In my case I credit elevation and physical exertion for my appetite loss. I was able to overcome this with practice and the move to liquid calories, ie maltodextrin. I found I can drink inthe calories easier than eating normally irresistible foods. Good luck

max patch
04-15-2013, 20:43
Never affected me.

Train Wreck
04-15-2013, 21:14
I always attributed it to plain old disdain for trail food. Until the third day, when it all starts to look and taste better :D

kayak karl
04-15-2013, 21:14
i don't eat anymore on the first week or so then i normally do. after that my hunger kicks in big time and continues weeks after i finish hiking. i thing it's just Trail Lag :-?

MuddyWaters
04-15-2013, 22:43
Not unusual for less than a week or so
For a while, excercise suppresses appetite.

blue indian
04-15-2013, 22:46
I didn't realize this happened to other people. Good to know. Normally at home I constantly eat, but on my last outing I didn't have much of an appetite. I was sorta worried.

Although I've also been on trips where I couldn't stop eating...

Kookork
04-15-2013, 23:15
Two factors that I know affects the appetite is the weather and sun exposure. In hot weather one may take more time to regain appetite compare to colder weather and more sun exposure equals less appetite.

Another factor is the altitude of hiking compare to the altitude of living. If one ascends to 10000 feet or more from 3000 feet ,it takes more time for appetite to kick in than if one hikes in around 3000 feet and lives around the same altitude.

Northern Lights
04-15-2013, 23:21
I just finished a section hike. The first day I had a hotdog for dinner. Second day cup of broth and one bite from a bereto, thidt day tryed to eat some candy and almost gagged. It was last day of the hike but did 5.5 miles before the car. Once out of mountains I was able to eat a peice of chicken.

Is there a medical reason you have trouble eating at the start of a hike?
Same thing happens to me every time I head out. Last time thru the Smokies was the worst. By day 3 I had to force myself to eat something and gagged the whole time. I think for me it was the heat. It was hotter than hell.

Tuckahoe
04-15-2013, 23:38
I use to experience the loss of appetite on hikes. I didnt want to eat or even look at food. Now I find that I do not experience that appetite loss anymore.

I suspect that when I was out of shape and with poor eating habbits, the sudden increased exertion of hiking beyond my normal activity suppressed my desire to eat.

Now that I am eating right on a regular schedule and regularly exercise I dont have that loss of appetite when I hit the trail for a few days.

rocketsocks
04-16-2013, 07:24
I too did not eat as much as I thought I would, and ended up bringing food home...note to self

Bucketfoot
04-16-2013, 08:00
This happens to me on all my section hikes. I pack light as far as food and end up with lot left at the end of the hike.

Lyle
04-16-2013, 08:01
Very normal for the first two or three days of a hike to have decreased appetite. In winter I have to force myself to eat because I know I need the calories.

Hiking Man
04-16-2013, 08:17
I have the same problems talked about above. For me it will last for 3-4 days. I know exercise and heat suppress the apatite, but i think a lot of it too, is just anxiety of being out on the trail. It’s just a different route then your body is use too. The same way when you go on a trip you may not poop for a few days, but it will work itself out in a few days. Since I know this happens to me, I pack light on food for the first few days. Also, I find it easier to eat cold foods until my body adjust and my apatite come back.

Tinker
04-16-2013, 08:27
I actually used to eat way more, volume wise, on the trail than I did normally while at home, then I realized that I probably had enough fat stores to go a couple of days (at least) eating very little.

On my section hikes I usually eat very little the first two or three days and increase my daily intake after that, when I actually start to feel drained of energy.

MDSection12
04-16-2013, 09:34
The first day I can pretty much go without eating, after that I start eating more and more with each day. For me I always just thought it was because eating seems like a 'chore' there's a lot more fun things to do in camp. :)

FarmerChef
04-16-2013, 09:55
Some day I'm going to take the time to figure out how to do that multiple quotes per post thingy. In the meantime...

Muddy hit the nail on the head, I believe. "Exercise suppresses appetite."

Tuckahoe also had a good point: Level of physical fitness can impact perception of exercise. In other words, if I'm more out of shape then it takes less for my body to exert itself, suppressing my appetite. As you get in more shape, your body is more used to the level of effort and hunger stays in balance.

daddytwosticks
04-16-2013, 15:27
Same here. Small meals and many small snacks throughout the day keeps my energy up. :)

max patch
04-16-2013, 17:03
I use to experience the loss of appetite on hikes. I didnt want to eat or even look at food. Now I find that I do not experience that appetite loss anymore.

I suspect that when I was out of shape and with poor eating habbits, the sudden increased exertion of hiking beyond my normal activity suppressed my desire to eat.

Now that I am eating right on a regular schedule and regularly exercise I dont have that loss of appetite when I hit the trail for a few days.

I've never had a loss of appetite when hiking. I also find time to exercise a minimum of 1 1/2 hours a day 6 days a week. So from my perspective you may have a point.

Hairbear
04-16-2013, 19:00
I always looked at it as my bodies way of telling me ..heck no im not packin that fat ass up this mountain,ill starve it off you first.

Rain Man
04-18-2013, 10:07
Happens to me all the time. Just got back from 9 days doing the 112 miles of the northern half of PA. I think on three separate days I barely ate one meal (either breakfast or dinner) and maybe a light snack during the day. I'm used to it now, so I didn't fret over it. Didn't slow me down or cause a problem. Of course, my body has some reserves stored up around the middle!

Rain:sunMan

Stir Fry
04-22-2013, 10:36
Well I went to a sports doctor and asked the question. He said that it’s not uncommon for this to happen. There is a medical term for it, but I did not right it down.

He said, “When there is a sudden increase in activity the body sends all the blood available to the parts of the body that need it, i.e. mussels on your extremities; the stomach is on the loosing end of this”. The result is a reduced appetite. He also said dehydration plays a part, your appetite will return faster if you stay well hydrated. After a few days with the increase in activity and a reduced appetite the body will reset, and your appetite will return.