PDA

View Full Version : help need awol trail guide

Grinder
04-15-2013, 18:17
I am in the last phases of packing for my section hike. I drive up starting Thursday.
I cannot find the new trail guide I bought!! It's sad, I know. It makes it really hard to plan resupply points. I want to resupply around Waynesboro, Front Royal and Harper's Ferry. I'd like to pick up a guide before Frederick.

But, to the point. I will be driving to Tellico Plains, TN this week end and over to Fredrick, MD Sunday to drop off my shuttle motorcycle. Then I will drive down to Glasgow, dropping off resupply boxes along the way. At James River Footbridge, I will park and commence hiking.

Does anyone know of a hostel or Outfitter that stocks the trail guide? I know Woods Hole does (did last year) , but that's quite a way off the interstate.

I'm trying to avoid self flagellation over being such a dumb ass and get on with my life. Any help is appreciated.

moytoy
04-15-2013, 18:55
Call or e-mail AWOL in Titusville. He may be able to get one to you before Thursday. If I had known this morning, I drove right by his house on my way to Ocala and I could have picked one up for you.

Blissful
04-15-2013, 19:57
See if Rockfish Gap Outfitters has it in Waynsesboro on your way back down. Sure they have some kind of guidebook. Or you can, for a small price, download the ALDHA guide here (http://www.aldha.org/companyn.htm) and copy the parts you need.

quilteresq
04-15-2013, 21:58
They had some at Mt. Crossings.

quilteresq
04-15-2013, 21:58
Oh - and if you have a smart phone, you can download it - I got both hard copy and electronic.

Coosa
04-15-2013, 23:43
If you go thru Harpers Ferry, call the Outfitter there to see if they carry it. The ATC does NOT.

If you call AWOL, he might be able to mail it to you General Delivery to a PO or to the address where you left your first Drop Box.

Coosa

Grinder
04-16-2013, 08:28
thanks everyone who replied. I got the ALDHA guide (by joining, I might add. And I'm not a joiner) and it does load on my smart phone and reads quite well.
I feel I'm set to hike. There's enough data to figure out drops and someone will sell the AWOL guide at one of those stops.

Gotta love White Blaze!!!

Deer Hunter
04-16-2013, 22:44
Grinder,
I have a copy I will let you have. I don't carry the whole book with me when I hike. I copy the pages I think need at work and only carry the copied pages as I need them. I'm going to be hiking(hopefully) in SW Virginia this weekend or I would meet you Sunday morning. I would be happy to leave mine in my mailbox for you to pick up if you would like me to. It's 9 miles to Buena Vista from Glasgow. Pm me if your interested and I will give you directions to my house.

Grinder
04-17-2013, 15:09
There's a happy ending to this senile old man's story.
I found my trail guide. It was in the small bag I call the "kitchen sink" where I had pre packed it (so I wouldn't lose it. HA!)
Thanks for the offer, deer hunter. I just ripped out the pages I'm covering this year myself. Too much weight to carry for fun.

As plus, I also have the pfd hiker's companion loaded on my phone.

Love you guys. Mean it!!