PDA

View Full Version : staying dry?

Ang_Graham
04-15-2013, 21:42
Hello friends!

Its really interesting how my anxieties about the hiking the Trail fall from one thing to another. First ticks/lyme disease, then sleeping alone at night, then animals getting into my food. etc.

Well NOW my current fear is getting horribly wet and cold and dying of hypothermia, or wanting to die of discomfort.

How do YOU keep dry on the trail?

Is a pack cover enough to protect my things? Any advice on clothing? ideas of umbrella?

Thanks in advance for your imput!

Ang

jeffmeh
04-15-2013, 22:11
For your pack, I recommend a trash compactor bag inside as a liner, and a pack cover outside. Better yet, look at http://www.thepacka.com/, for a pack cover and some excellent rain gear combined.

For clothing, absolutely no cotton. Synthetics and wool are fine. Merino wool is wonderful for warmth, breathability, and odor resistance. I take as many merino layers as I think I will need for the coldest hiking conditions, have my rain gear or wind shirt I can layer on top of those, and have a warmer jacket or fleece and additional merino for camp/sleep. Don't forget gloves (I like the possumdown gloves) and perhaps overmitts, and a warm hat.

When you are hiking, resist the temptation to wear all of your clothing. Keep some warm layers dry in your pack for when you stop. The act of hiking will keep you relatively warm, and often when wearing rain gear you will get wet from the inside out. Keep yourself well fed and well hydrated and your body heat should keep you warm enough when hiking.

Personally, I have no use for an umbrella on the trail, but others use them.

Good luck.

Ang_Graham
04-15-2013, 22:35
Thanks! I'm doing Springer to Harpers Ferry beginning mid-may. Do you think I'll need all those clothes for warmth in the summer months? I'm from out west originally and not very familiar with Southern summer weather. Is warmth a big problem or just dry? Thanks again!

Abner
04-15-2013, 23:21
I have learned over the years a system for rain that works really well for me. Follow Jeffme's advice on clothing, and I'll give you advice about some equipment that for me is indespensible regarding rain. I like a broad brimmed hat that keeps the rain and drizzle from going down the back of your neck. My hat preference is a Filson Tin Cloth Hat, with broad brim for sun and rain. You can attach it with little clips to your pack when you don't use it. It is like a lid that really turns the rains and drizzle. I carry an umbrella too. Montbell or Golite. Just a few ounces but oh so handy when it drizzles and you don't really need your rain parka. That's next on the list a rain parka: I carry a generously cut rain shell that is breatheable, lightweight yet waterproof. I find it absolutely necessary in a chilly steady rain, the sort you very well may encounter on the ridgetops of your hike. I have added a rainwrap (rainkilt) from ULA. Lightweight and so much better for me than rain pants. The rain wrap is like an extension of your rain parka, and keeps your thighs and legs down to your knees warm in a windy rainy squall.

Lastly I carry an ultralight tarp in addition to any tent I have. 10 feet by 10 feet, or 10 by 12 (trust me you'll like the extra room. I just love the tarp. Nice to sit under, cook under, take a break under, have a pot of warming tea under in a steady rain. With these pieces of equipment (and saving my dry sleep clothes for sleeping) I have hiked, cooked, lounged, journalled and enjoyed multiple days in lots of chilly rain.

The trick is to stay one step ahead of the rain. What I mean by that is this...when it starts to drizzle, I pull out my umbrella. I locate all my rain gear and have it ready to add as the rain strengthens. I might decide to pitch my tarp (in under two minutes) pull out my stove and brew a pot of tea. Notice I haven't let myself get soaked to the bone. If the rain should let up I continue hiking; or if I want to keep moving, I have on my synthetic or wool synthetic layer, my windshirt (not rain jacket unless colder because I'll sweat) my rainwrap, my Filson Hat and my umbrella. You can go and go and go in these layers. If it gets really nasty with gusts of wind and rain, I put on my parka over my rainwrap. At lunch pitch your tarp, take out your sit pad for dry place to sit (12x12 inch piece of foam pad) When you pull into your spot to camp pitch your tarp, cook dinner, pitch your tent (if a howling rain under your tarp). Tarp is a nice place to relieve oneself in the middle of the night as well. With these pieces of equipment the rain becomes an enjoyable experience and is nothing to worry about at all. I came to appreciate all this when I was a river guide and hiking instructor for 15 summers in the Western Carolina Mountains. It sometimes rains like five, six, eight, or even one summer----ten days straight. No problems with these pieces of equipment and keeping your core warm and hydrated.

Abner
04-15-2013, 23:30
In May you can have hail on the ridgetops of the Mountains. I would add for such bouts of cold wet weather I carry a very light wool watchcap that can go under my Filson Hat. The overmits are a great idea too that Jeffme suggests, very light yet so sensible in a cold wind driven rain. Light weight warm synthetic gloves under the overmits are quite nice, too. It's like you are packing for that one or two day stretch where you get that chilly rainy somewhat unseasonable weather. You may not use all these clothes, but you will kick yourself (or just suffer) if you don't have them.

swjohnsey
04-16-2013, 06:47
A good tent will keep you dry. A set of good rain gear such as Precip or Driduck top and bottom will keep you dry.

smithcj06
04-16-2013, 09:17
I wouldn't worry to terribly much about weather especially starting mid-may. That being said, you ARE going to get wet, soaked to the bone wet and then some eventually. Most of the advice already given has been spot on. I absolutely recommend a trash compactor bag as an inner liner for your pack it will keep everything dry. Have a dry set of clothes/set of town clothes be it one of your layers or a duplicate of what your hiking clothes are. Being in the south and only hiking to harpers ferry you won't have to worry to much about lymes and deer ticks. They are way more present north of the mason dixon and into New England. When you get close to northern VA keep your eye out for moving freckles. There will be people out and about on the trail so sleeping alone won't be to much of a problem if you plan on sleeping around shelters and the critters are tricky but hanging your food on the mouse strings in most shelters does the trick (if you plan on sleeping in shelters). If you plan on tenting it, just make sure to keep a clean food free camp at night. Don't leave crumbs in your tent or empty wrappers around which will invite sneaky little mice.

Remember one foot in front of the other and have tons of fun it's going to be a fantastic experience!!!

FarmerChef
04-16-2013, 10:12
I have been cold and very wet on more than one hike so I know the fear of which you speak. But I was prepared for it and with the right decisions managed to make the most of it. Here are some tips, many of which Jeffme and Abner have already mentioned:

Dress in layers, reserving some of the warmest for camp later when you are done getting wet. You will feel immeasurably warmer in even thin dry clothes than bulky wet ones.
Cotton kills. Bring synthetics or wool-based clothing. I carry my lightweight merino base even in the late-spring and summer.

Have two pairs of socks. No matter how wet one pair gets, keep the dry pair for camp. Never have two wet pairs of socks unless you are standing in front of a clothes dryer ;)

Get used to wet feet. It's ok. You won't get frostbite in mid-may. But make sure to stop and let your feet air out at night. Bacteria love warm, wet environments so let the dryness kick their butts each day.

Protect yourself from a soaking rain. Ponchos, rain skirts, rain pants, rain parkas. Whatever. Pick something that works for you. Just remember that you will get slightly less wet from sweat than you would have gotten from rain. The difference is: you'll dry your sweat faster than the rain when you finally take off your rain gear.

Watch caps and gloves can be useful depending on your tolerance to cold. I don't carry these that late in the spring as it just doesn't bother me.

Carry a pack towel or bandana that is dry when you get to camp. That way you can dry off a little faster.

Rain can also be just another form of a shower. I've been known to stand under the eaves of a shelter at lunchtime in the driving rain and just let it rinse me off. Once hiking again, after the storm passed, clothes were dry again in an hour but I was a bit cleaner than I was. :sun

Finally, remember: You can get hypothermia when it's 70 degrees out if you are wet and cannot get dry. Always have a set of dry clothes in your bag, even if it's just underwear, a pair of socks and a t-shirt. Even being naked but dry is warmer than clothed and wet. Just use your head BEFORE the rain starts and have a PLAN to stay safe. If you follow these easy tips you can stay safe and worry free in a variety of wet conditions. When you're prepared it's easier to just relax and enjoy the show. Have fun!

Berserker
04-16-2013, 12:37
Well NOW my current fear is getting horribly wet and cold and dying of hypothermia, or wanting to die of discomfort.
The first thing to come to terms with that has been mentioned by other posters already is that you will get wet. Especially if you are out in multiple days of rain. Unless it's cold usually the rain is just more of a mental issue (i.e. it can get pretty mentally draining being out there in rain for long periods of time). The two main things to do in rain are to make sure you keep your gear as dry as possible, and stay warm if it's cold.

How do YOU keep dry on the trail?
I don't stay dry, but I keep my gear dry with a trash compactor bag lining my pack and and pack cover. For camp I make sure to have some dry clothing available to put on.

Is a pack cover enough to protect my things? Any advice on clothing? ideas of umbrella?
No. You need something lining the inside of your pack like a trash compactor bag. As for clothing if you get too warm you'll get wet from sweat, and you don't want to get too cold. So the best clothing is quick drying materials, and breathable rain gear such as a poncho. I've never used an umbrella so I can't comment on that.

Being in the south and only hiking to harpers ferry you won't have to worry to much about lymes and deer ticks. They are way more present north of the mason dixon and into New England.
Not to start an argument, but this isn't the best advice. Lymes has become fairly prevelant here in VA too, so the best prevention on the trail is to just periodically check for the little @#%@#^s and make sure to get them off of you as soon as possible.

bigcranky
04-16-2013, 13:17
Not to start an argument, but this isn't the best advice. Lymes has become fairly prevelant here in VA too, so the best prevention on the trail is to just periodically check for the little @#%@#^s and make sure to get them off of you as soon as possible.

Yeah, I got Lyme disease (confirmed) in Shenadoah in 2005. Not fun. My personal preference is to use Permethrin on my clothing.

Ang_Graham
04-19-2013, 22:22
Thank you all for your help. I really appreciate your thoughts and time!

Dogwood
04-19-2013, 22:51
Seems like you have some phobias. Are you related to the Wicked Witch of the East? So you get wet so what? You take showers or bathe DON'T YOU? if you hike long enough you WILL GET WET! Once you accept that one of the best times to get wet is on the AT with SHELTERS DURING SUMMER WHEN IT IS WARMER. Maybe it could be little uncomfortable but that's what hiking is about - pushing your comfort zones! Life begins at the end of your present comfort zones! Go dance/sing/hike in the rain!

Deadeye
04-20-2013, 00:31
Don't waste your money on Precip... worthless. DriDucks and an umbrella will do the trick. No rain pants needed.

henry g wilgo
04-20-2013, 07:58
Well,,,i too was concerned about rain hypotherm problems, putting on wet clothes at the beginning of the day..
(but)....rain does have its good points,,,first thing coming to mind,,,less "bugs" and it is truly a welcome thing on very warm and hot days.

swjohnsey
04-21-2013, 08:16
Precip works O.K. if you know how to use it. Driducks work but fall apart pretty quick.

MuddyWaters
04-21-2013, 13:59
Raingear is not to keep you dry.

You can, and will, be very wet with sweat often when temps get above 60F

Raingear , keeps you warm, by keeping cold water off of you, and blocking cold wind.

What keeps you warm while moving, is your bodys heat generation, whether wet or dry.
What keeps you warm when you stop moving, is shelter, dry clothing, dry insulation gear