PDA

View Full Version : Thru hike gear shake down

gratefultrails
04-16-2013, 01:54
Hey yall!

I will be hiking from springer to Harpers Ferry starting june 3rd. This will be my first major long distance hike and I was looking for some HELP on my gear list. What looks good? What should stay at home? Any suggestions? Below is a list of the gear I will be starting with.

SHELTER:

Osprey 50L - 3lb oz
ENU Hammock - 1lb 6oz
Hammock straps - 8oz
Rain fly- 1lb 6oz
Kelty 20 degree down bag- 2lb 10oz
Dry compression sack- 30z
Short sleeping pad- 8oz ( Will I want a sleeping pad for rainy nights in shelters or should I bank on always sleeping in my hammock??)

COOKING:

Pocket rocket stove- 3oz
Cooking cup- 6oz
Cooking pot - 6oz
Bowl and spork - 3oz
fuel can - 4oz

WATER:

Steri pen classic - 6oz
2 water bottles - 4 0z

CLOTHING:
Short sleeve t shirt
Long sleeve t shirt
Hiking shorts
Light weight running shorts
Rain jacket
3 pair light wool socks
Long johns - ( good idea? bad idea?)

Ramdom:

Dry sacks- 3 oz
Head lamp - 2oz
Knife- 5oz
Pack cover- 2 oz
Bathroom stuff- 7 oz
Guide book
Journal/pen
Iphone/ Chargers
coffee filter
bandana
sham wow
I know it will be hot. Will I need the long sleeve shirt and long johns? should I do one pair of shorts or two? Any other suggestions on gear are greatly appreciated!

gratefultrails
04-16-2013, 01:58
I was also looking for some advice on hiking poles. Every one seems to use them, I have no experience with them. Should I buy some before I start or feel it out? Thanks for the info!

swjohnsey
04-16-2013, 06:43
SHELTER:

Osprey 50L - 3lb oz
ENU Hammock - 1lb 6oz
Hammock straps - 8oz
Rain fly- 1lb 6oz You hammock set up weighs more than 3 lbs. You can get a tent for under 2
Kelty 20 degree down bag- 2lb 10oz
Short sleeping pad- 8oz ( Will I want a sleeping pad for rainy nights in shelters or should I bank on always sleeping in my hammock??)

COOKING:

Pocket rocket stove- 3oz
Cooking cup- 6oz You ought to be able to cook and eat from a pot or two
Cooking pot - 6oz
Bowl and spork - 3oz
fuel can - 4oz

WATER:

Steri pen classic - 6oz
2 water bottles - 4 0z

CLOTHING:
Short sleeve t shirt
Long sleeve t shirt Ditch
Hiking shorts Pick one pair of shorts
Rain jacket Think I would add rain/wind pants It will still be cool in the mornings.
3 pair light wool socks
Long johns - ( good idea? bad idea?) I would ditch 'em

Ramdom:

Dry sacks- 3 oz
Head lamp - 2oz
Knife- 5oz
Pack cover- 2 oz
Bathroom stuff- 7 oz
Guide book
Journal/pen
Iphone/ Chargers
coffee filter
bandana
sham wow
I know it will be hot. Will I need the long sleeve shirt and long johns? should I do one pair of shorts or two? Any other suggestions on gear are greatly appreciated![/QUOTE]

bigcranky
04-16-2013, 08:24
Pad: You'll want the pad inside your hammock on cool nights as a torso insulator. I just use a 3/4 length closed cell foam pad (cut down from a Wallymart blue foam pad.) Unless you have an underquilt that I missed. I need some sort of bottom insulation in my hammock anytime the night temps fall below 70 or 75.

Poles: start without them. You can buy a pair at Neels Gap should you feel the need.

Clothing: probably fine. I'd want something for my legs at first, maybe long johns maybe a very light wind pant. I'd bring two lightweight tops, one s/s to wear hiking and one l/s for camp. The rain shell would be my only jacket, and I could wear both shirts and the shell on cool nights and (especially) mornings. I would definitely bring a light fleece beanie or balaclava. We had nights in the 30s on Springer in early June on our '03 hike. I like having two pairs of shorts, especially in the heat, so I have something dry to put on in camp, and I can hang my wet shorts (and shirt) overnight. Oh, and I bring some merino wool boxers to sleep in -- I've found that sleeping in nylon running shorts in hot weather causes chafing, as there is nothing to absorb moisture overnight. (TMI, I know, but maybe it'll help.)

Sleeping system: That Kelty bag is kinda heavy and probably overkill for the time of year. If you have a few bucks to spend, a down top quilt that weighs ~16 ounces will be more comfortable and save you almost a pound and a half. The Enlightened Equipment Revelation X or the Jacks R Better Shenandoah 40F quilts are under $200 and well made. But if the bag is what you have, take it and it'll work fine. Just drape it over yourself at night like a quilt.

Have a great hike!

smithcj06
04-16-2013, 11:59
If you are on a budget then you gear looks fine. A little bit heavy but not to bad. Starting down there in June you aren't going to need the long johns as mentioned above. I'd keep the extra pair of shorts for sleeping in something clean/town/etc. If you hate pants (I do!!) its more then fine to not have anything for leg coverings. I rocked shorts on my whole thru-hike (which went into October) so I don't see a need for wind/rain pants. As far as poles go I'd get them black diamond makes a standard issue model thats like 80 bucks and they lasted me plenty and then some I still use them after using them for a whole thruhike. The sleeping bag is definitely overkill for that time of year. I'd shoot for something more in the 30-40 degree range it'll be lighter and more comfortable.

Have fun out there!!

smithcj06
04-16-2013, 12:03
Also....you're missing a mp3 player. Nothing like crusin' down the trail with a solid Scarlet>Fire blasting!

gratefultrails
04-16-2013, 14:28
Also....you're missing a mp3 player. Nothing like crusin' down the trail with a solid Scarlet>Fire blasting!

Hell ya! nothing better for the head then some dead

blue indian
04-16-2013, 16:32
There is a whole thread about dead heads on the trail. Apparently there are a whole lot of us!

T.S.Kobzol
04-16-2013, 16:54
I would keep the long johns. You can use them under the hiking shorts on cool mornings and discount getting rain pants. I am assuming the long johns are WOOL that will keep you warm even when wet.

You need a longer and wider foam mat for inside of your hammock. Otherwise you will get cold. Or a second foam strip that will be used where your legs are.

Your pack looks pretty big for the stuff you listed. You are probably counting on carrying a lot of food to avoid going into towns. Not a bad idea.

AngryGerman
04-24-2013, 10:19
SHELTER:

Osprey 50L - 3lb oz - This is the pack I started with but it barely made it through ME, traded up for a Granite Gear AC 60, carries way better IMO.
ENU Hammock - 1lb 6oz
Hammock straps - 8oz - As stated above, your hammock setup is heavy and I guarentee that rainfly is over kill! My setup was 31oz and still to heavy for my liking.
Rain fly- 1lb 6oz
Kelty 20 degree down bag- 2lb 10oz - Heavvvy, try a 45* or an uber light weight 32*
Dry compression sack- 30z - Leave it, use ziplocs and trash compactor bags
Short sleeping pad- 8oz ( Will I want a sleeping pad for rainy nights in shelters or should I bank on always sleeping in my hammock??) - Closed cell foam pad cut down to 40 inches works awesome; put it inside your sleeping bag so it doesn't slide around.

COOKING:

Pocket rocket stove- 3oz
Cooking cup- 6oz
Cooking pot - 6oz - Keep the cooking pot and spork only and make yourself a cat can stove using a 12oz plastic bottle for fuel and you will be loving life!
Bowl and spork - 3oz
fuel can - 4oz

WATER:

Steri pen classic - 6oz - leave this behind and use Aqua Mira if you treat your water; I went the whole trip with treating water only 10 times and carried the same bottle of Aqua Mira the entire trip
2 water bottles - 4 0z - Smart Water bottles x1 with two 1L platypus bladders, lighter than those bottles you have listed.

CLOTHING:
Short sleeve t shirt
Long sleeve t shirt
Hiking shorts - leave at home and just wear the running shorts
Rain jacket
3 pair light wool socks - leave one pr at home; carry one, wear one
Long johns - ( good idea? bad idea?) - not needed but I carried a pair of Nike Dri Fit Leggings and wore them often

Ramdom:

Dry sacks- 3 oz - as stated above
Head lamp - 2oz
Knife- 5oz - thats a heavy knife, try a really basic and small swiss knife
Pack cover- 2 oz - leave at home and use trash compactor bag as a pack liner
Bathroom stuff- 7 oz - hand san, TP, toothpaste and brush is all you need
Guide book
Journal/pen
Iphone/ Chargers
coffee filter - leave it and jusst make cowboy coffee
bandana
sham wow - leave it and use the bandana

There is a huge misconception about gear and what not out there on the trail. You really do not need more than listed above and if layered properly on cold mornings, you will be just fine. Besides, you will be hiking in June in the South! If you find yourself cold or uncomfortable, stop at an Outfitter and grab what you like but do it with care!

flemdawg1
04-24-2013, 12:03
Hey yall!

I will be hiking from springer to Harpers Ferry starting june 3rd. This will be my first major long distance hike and I was looking for some HELP on my gear list. What looks good? What should stay at home? Any suggestions? Below is a list of the gear I will be starting with.

SHELTER:

Osprey 50L - 3lb oz
ENU Hammock - 1lb 6oz
Hammock straps - 8oz
Rain fly- 1lb 6oz Look into an OES tarp instead of the Eno, 12 oz less.
Kelty 20 degree down bag- 2lb 10oz Do you have a lighter bag?
Short sleeping pad- 8oz ( Will I want a sleeping pad for rainy nights in shelters or should I bank on always sleeping in my hammock??) Pad works fine for both.

COOKING:

Pocket rocket stove- 3oz
Cooking cup- 6oz
Cooking pot - 6oz
Bowl and spork - 3oz Eat from pot, ditch the bowl.
fuel can - 4oz

WATER:

Steri pen classic - 6oz
2 water bottles - 4 0z

CLOTHING:
Short sleeve t shirt
Long sleeve t shirt
Hiking shorts
Rain jacket
3 pair light wool socks
Long johns - ( good idea? bad idea?) I'd take them and add a knit hat if night temps are getting below 50.

Ramdom:

Dry sacks- 3 oz
Head lamp - 2oz
Knife- 5oz much lighter available.
Pack cover- 2 oz
Bathroom stuff- 7 oz
Guide book
Journal/pen
Iphone/ Chargers
coffee filter
bandana
sham wow
I know it will be hot. Will I need the long sleeve shirt and long johns? should I do one pair of shorts or two? Any other suggestions on gear are greatly appreciated!.............................