PDA

View Full Version : Previously posted in wrong area ... Looking for List of Hostels with Rates

Coosa
04-16-2013, 03:49
I accidentally posted this over on CAMPSITES and Lean-tos ... it's after 2 AM, I'm stressing out over money and I can't locate a simple list of the prices of Hostels ... as well as the Hotels, Motels, etc, used by Thru Hikers anywhere. IS there a list somewhere? I don't need EXACT rates, but a general idea of the costs.

Has someone created a list of the rates charged by the Motels, Hotels, Resorts, B&B's, and Hostels on the AT? It would make a great Article for White Blaze, hint hint.

I am looking for inexpensive places to stay when I go into Trail Towns ... the Rate at the Long Trail is listed at $79 ... is that correct? And Highland Center is $77 with Dinner and Breakfast. I'm going to have to skip those places ... my income isn't sufficient. I have not 'saved' any money, I am planning to use my Social Security/Retirement AFTER expenses ... Somehow I thought living on the Appalachian Trail would be less expensive than sitting here in this bedroom. And I'll still have to pay 'room rent' while I'm gone. I will have $500 with a max of $600 available.

How do you do it? I think I'm going to run out of money before I run out of month.

If no one has a list already to post, I'll try to find time after I get to my Mom's the week before I leave to find the information online and in AWOL's guide. I was hoping to find a list someone else had worked up.

I'm stressing over this. Can you tell?

Thanks,
Coosa :eek:

Coosa
04-16-2013, 03:50
That's $500 to $600 available A MONTH.

bigcranky
04-16-2013, 07:42
Living on the AT is less expensive, but if you still have to pay your rent and other expenses back home, the combined cost is going to be higher than normal, not lower.

Most hostels in the South run from free to $5 or $15 or so. Up North it gets more expensive, though I haven't been north of Front Royal yet.

If you're concerned about minimizing expenses, try to minimize your town stays. Stop a couple of miles short of town and camp, then go into town, buy food, get a restaurant meal, and head back out onto the trail. Most towns have a place where you can buy a shower for a few bucks, which is nice; same with laundry. A clean body, clean clothes, and full belly make me pretty happy, and less likely to "need" to sleep in town. (Though I usually end up doing so.)

When you do see a hostel for a reasonable price, stay there and enjoy.

DeerPath
04-16-2013, 08:14
Living on the AT is less expensive, but if you still have to pay your rent and other expenses back home, the combined cost is going to be higher than normal, not lower.

Most hostels in the South run from free to $5 or $15 or so. Up North it gets more expensive, though I haven't been north of Front Royal yet.

If you're concerned about minimizing expenses, try to minimize your town stays. Stop a couple of miles short of town and camp, then go into town, buy food, get a restaurant meal, and head back out onto the trail. Most towns have a place where you can buy a shower for a few bucks, which is nice; same with laundry. A clean body, clean clothes, and full belly make me pretty happy, and less likely to "need" to sleep in town. (Though I usually end up doing so.)

When you do see a hostel for a reasonable price, stay there and enjoy.

Ditto...... Good Advice.

Jeff
04-16-2013, 09:33
Take a look here:

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/content.php?533

Coosa
04-16-2013, 10:31
Take a look here:

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/content.php?533

Thank you, can someone add a couple of TAGS to this ... "hostels" or something ... of course it WAS after 2 AM when I was panicked about costs.

Thanks,

Coosa

Coosa
04-16-2013, 14:04
Found a good piece of information on how to cut down on costs of Trail Towns by Weather Carrot ... it's from his 2003 hike but the information is helpful.

Ideas for an Inexpensive Thru-hike (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/content.php?177)

pelenaka
04-16-2013, 18:15
Thank you all for the links. Since I'll be hiking with my dog when I do the AT and I'm always broke this thread topic gets my attention.

If I might add a few suggestions - for those of you with a smart phone research apps (discounts) for the chain restaurants that are along the trail. Also check websites for coupons you can print off before your hike.

If shopping @ a chain grocery store where they employ a shopper's card consider asking the person behind you if they want to swipe their card for your purchases so you'll benefit from any discounts. Don't forget to snag a store advertising circular which often have store coupons. Ask if there's a clearance/scratch & dent section.

Years ago our extended family rented a condo in Myrtle Beach for a month. A handful of us signed up with the local chamber of commerce as new residents ... coupons coupons coupons. Might work for the larger trail owns what you don't use you could pass along.
Then there's always the good old AAA card discounts and for those of us mature hikers AARP status symbol badge.

4Bears
04-16-2013, 22:41
Here is a link for AT Hostels, though it looks like it might be a few years behind it is in a compact format, other info available on the site as well. http://www.sophiaknows.com/atdb/hostels.php

max patch
04-17-2013, 10:26
Here is a link for AT Hostels, though it looks like it might be a few years behind it is in a compact format, other info available on the site as well. http://www.sophiaknows.com/atdb/hostels.php

I certainly wouldn't rely on that list.

Use your Companion for current info.

Coosa
04-17-2013, 13:06
Using AWOL's AT Guide and the ALDHA Companion for my info, it's just NICE to have someone set it all out in one place. THIS was recently updated: http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/content.php?533-Hostels-and-Lodging-along-the-Appalachian-Trail

Coosa

Half Note
04-17-2013, 20:13
I would think you'll find that you'll be getting done a lot sooner, even at say 10 miles a day, that's only like 3 months, 3 1/2 at most. With income coming in per month though and not a sum amount from the get go, that will be tougher to work with. Honestly I would recommend skipping hostel stays as much as you can and camp out, you're guaranteed to save money that way.

Coosa
04-17-2013, 20:41
I would think you'll find that you'll be getting done a lot sooner, even at say 10 miles a day, that's only like 3 months, 3 1/2 at most. With income coming in per month though and not a sum amount from the get go, that will be tougher to work with. Honestly I would recommend skipping hostel stays as much as you can and camp out, you're guaranteed to save money that way.

Definitely going to go light on the Hostel stays ... until I get into Maine.

I'm giving myself longer than I think it'll take because I don't want to prime myself to rush. I have to keep remembering that I'm not in a competition ... I'm trying to have fun not run a race.

Thanks for the comments, Coosa