PDA

View Full Version : Hiker falls 60-100 feet

Chaco Taco
04-16-2013, 07:12
Really awful fall for this hiker.
http://www.boston.com/news/local/massachusetts/2013/04/13/hiker-falls-feet-mount-sugarloaf/fnQyAvVIiswOLT3rsrWcOM/story.html

Another Kevin
04-16-2013, 10:52
Ouch! That's my real worry on the trail: that a fall will incapacitate me. All the other things that people worry about here (wildlife attacks, insectborne disease, rogue humans, ...) pale in comparison. Worry #2 is a motor vehicle accident on the way to or from the trailhead.

It seems that in the area where I mostly hike, I hear about a hiker getting killed in a fall almost annually. They seem to group into two scenarios: college kids showing off, and old men whose falls may well have been secondary to a heart attack or stroke.

Hope the guy makes a full recovery!

turtle fast
04-16-2013, 11:42
Ive been in a group where we had a guy fall from the top of a canyon to the bottom of a waterfall gorge in the Porcupine Mountains in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan and suffice to say its a trying event depending on the type of injuries sustained by the hiker. Its one thing to have a slide down a valley and suffer bumps, sprains, and bruises....to where you think the guy spewed brain matter from a sheer drop off (luckily it was just vomit) and shattered his leg bones. Most falls I hear of is from folks goofing around or not paying attention to where they are walking. I wish the injured hiker a speedy recovery and luckily the extraction point fro the hiker was not too far from an access point.