PDA

View Full Version : Pubic Lice

Easyhiker
12-31-2002, 23:39
has anyone experienced this on the trail. I had a bad case when I got off, i think I might have picked them up at Sassafras Gap Privy where there were bugs and weird **** flying all around. Or it could of been from my over indulgence in Gatlinburg, which most I forgot about. Anyways its a concern if you hike.

Jumpstart
01-02-2003, 16:28
Happily and thankfully, no lice problems -anywhere.

Israel
01-03-2003, 00:18
I would suggest adding this post to the "hooking up" post you put for finding women on the trail. I am sure it would aid in your success...

:rolleyes:

:D

Easyhiker
01-03-2003, 00:34
:D LMAO!!!! I should shouldn't I!

Thanx Israel

Hammock Hanger
01-03-2003, 02:50
Is not gotton from privy's or toilet seats. You had some contact somewhere... I don't think the majority of hikers will need worry about this one. I do not recall any one at anytime getting lice of any kind while on the trail. Chiggers, maybe. Hammock Hanger

ATN2N
02-01-2003, 22:50
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Hammock Hanger
. Hammock Hanger [/QIs not gotton from privy's or toilet seats. You had some contact somewhere..UOTE]

Sorry HH but lice/crabs can be contracted on privys/toilet seats, clothing or body contact to name a few. Bet SGT Rock and others can tell us all about that.

Hammock Hanger
02-01-2003, 23:00
What are pubic lice?
Also called "crabs," pubic lice are parasitic insects found in the genital area of humans. Infection is common and found worldwide.

How did I get pubic lice?
Pubic lice are usually spread through sexual contact. Rarely, infestation can be spread through contact with an infested person's bed linens, towels, or clothes. A common misbelief is that infestation can be spread by sitting on a toilet seat. This isn't likely, since lice cannot live long away from a warm human body. Also, lice do not have feet designed to walk or hold onto smooth surfaces such as toilet seats.

HH (PS: I ran a medical clinic for 15 years and still say you do not get lice from toilet seats.)

ATN2N
02-01-2003, 23:13
[B]What are pubic lice?
Also called "crabs," pubic lice are parasitic insects found in the genital area of humans. Infection is common and found worldwide.

HH... I understand what you said and your medical background. I also know that you do not have to have sexual contact to get pubic lice or crabs. Maybe the "issue" is that they can be transfered for a short period of time. Have seen it happen several times and am positive there was NO SEXUAL CONTACT.

Hammock Hanger
02-01-2003, 23:25
If your bodies come in close contact even w/o sex there can be a transfer. Bed linens, clothing still warm (lice die at a certain temp) yes. I still maintain no on the privy issue. HH

Hammock Hanger
02-01-2003, 23:26
I doubt it would be a issue unless someone was sharing a sleeping bag with an infected person. HH

SGT Rock
02-01-2003, 23:57
Well HH, I've seen problems with lice spreading on high traffic privies in the field. The Army is normally pretty good about getting them cleaned regularly, but there have been issues before in the field.

steve hiker
02-25-2003, 01:02
I think we should turn this discussion to what Easyhiker was doing at Sassafras Gap and <i>with whom.</i>

Dirtyoldman
02-25-2003, 02:07
or what?

Former Member
02-28-2003, 17:25
you can crawl in my bag anytime for you experience.

No seriously there freindly little buggers and just tickle a bit, you get them from anyone around you that has them im there bag, say I slept in a 8 place shelter and you slept 8 spaces from me its iffy, u 7 you'll get them for sure, they also linger around for months at a time.

ga>me>ak
03-20-2003, 11:09
Got the crabs from a toilet seat at work(hadn't gotten lucky for months before the incident). While sitting on the seat, I was reading the graffiti. Someone was nice enough to point out they had been sitting there picking crabs while taking care of business. They gave a time and date, 10 minutes previously. I laughed it off... until about a week later. Funny how life is ironic, in between that time I got lucky with a nurse (cute as hell) . Yes, I did the right thing and informed her, but , talk about being humbled. Left there with my tail tucked away. Figured her being a nurse she would be undestading, not so. Oh well

asmtroop3
05-08-2003, 15:03
Pediculosis Pubis needs a warm host to survive and multiply.
Having been in the military and seeing those public privys used quite a bit, alot of times there was never a chance for them to grow cold. (a blessing in December, a curse in the case we are discussing).

We use to tell the Marines the best cure was to shave one side of the Pubis and set the other side on fire.
When they ran over to the shaven side, stab them with a hunting knife.

Skyline
06-12-2004, 22:30
Inappropriate comment here edited by the author upon reconsideration.

stupe
06-13-2004, 00:12
Do they still make Kwell Lotion? That was the best cure for pubic lice I ever used.

Hammock Hanger
06-13-2004, 09:35
I do believe Kwell is still on the market, by script. Back in the 70's it use to be an ung called Blue Ointment...

Having re-read this old post I will say that possibly military toilets that have no time to cool and are used one butt to one butt could possible pass the "beast" but it is not the norm...

Sue/HH

Ankle Bone
06-13-2004, 12:07
The best way to treat:

1. Shave 1/2 the infected area.

2. Set the other 1/2 on fire.

3. When they coming running out of the fire, stab them with an ice pick.

Jack Tarlin
06-13-2004, 13:43
Skyline's post about the Doyle was 1000 yards out of line. The new owners of the Doyle have worked their fingers to the bone improving the place, and ignorant posts like this do not help....for anyone interested, the rooms and linens at the Doyle are changed after every guest checks out, which makes them a hell of a lot cleaner that any hiker hostel bunk or trail shelter, never mind the typical hiker's sleeping bag, which can go weeks or sometimes MONTHS without cleaning, not to mention hiker clothes which are usually indescribaly filthy.

In the old Days, the Doyle was indeed a bit grungy; people who visit today who were last there years ago will be very much surprised.

There's nothing wrong with the hygiene or cleanliness level at the Doyle, and to imply otherwise, even in jest, is to perform a dis-service to some very fine folks who've knocked themselves out the past few years trying to fix the place up.

Hikers might leave the place with a hangover, but as for leaving with other gifts....no, I don't think so.

cabalot
06-13-2004, 19:34
. Hammock Hanger [/QIs not gotton from privy's or toilet seats. You had some contact somewhere..UOTE]

Sorry HH but lice/crabs can be contracted on privys/toilet seats, clothing or body contact to name a few. Bet SGT Rock and others can tell us all about that.

very true,
when i was in basic training at ft jackson, SC a lot of troops got crabs from toilet seats and from them crawling from the top bunk to the bottom bunk.
i have never sat on a privy

Skyline
06-15-2004, 18:26
Skyline's post about the Doyle was 1000 yards out of line. The new owners of the Doyle have worked their fingers to the bone improving the place, and ignorant posts like this do not help.....

Jack, the last time I was there was in 1999, and back then the rooms and bathrooms were absolutely filthy. If new owners have taken over and improved it, my apologies and definitely my hat's off to them. They had a mammoth task in front of them.

Again, my mini-attempt at humor may have been out of line, so I apologize to anyone who was offended. And it was only an attempt at levity--not a report on anything that actually happened there. I have self-censored my inappropriate comment on the previous page.

Surplusman
03-17-2009, 20:13
One character in my squad bay had "mechanized dandruff" when I was at Ft. Riley. Wherever he picked them up at (probably a "date" in Junction City) sure caused a lot trouble for us. All of our clothes had to be dusted with insecticide powder, we had to use a separate latrine, and on it went. It was embarrassing and it wasn't funny then and it still isn't to me 40 years later, even though we didn't get them, thank goodness. If you wind up with them, get them taken care of ASAP. And for goodness sakes, let other people know, no matter how embarrassing it may be, that you have them.

Spogatz
03-17-2009, 21:17
Public Lice.....is that supposed to be shared with others?

Kathfishes
03-17-2009, 22:11
OK..In case your ever really bothered by lice, fleas, or nits...cheap fix...on your town visit. go to the grocery store or a pet shop and buy a bottle of Sergant's Skip Flea dog shampoo. The active ingredient in it is permethrin. Just spread it over your body, wait 5 mins and shower off...problem usually solved. :-) Cheaper than a Dr. Visit and the prescription med.

Kathfishes
03-17-2009, 22:17
OH..BTW I think crabs in Maryland have to be 5 1/2" to be keepers. :-)

sheepdog
03-17-2009, 22:17
OK..In case your ever really bothered by lice, fleas, or nits...cheap fix...on your town visit. go to the grocery store or a pet shop and buy a bottle of Sergant's Skip Flea dog shampoo. The active ingredient in it is permethrin. Just spread it over your body, wait 5 mins and shower off...problem usually solved. :-) Cheaper than a Dr. Visit and the prescription med.
It works but you get an irresistable urge to scratch your ear with your hind leg.

Desert Reprobate
03-17-2009, 22:42
There is a big difference between a nice smooth toilet seat and a privy seat.

Turtlehiker
03-19-2009, 09:56
Privies have seats? Wow you must stay at the fancy places! I love the ones in Maine that don't even have walls, nothing like a view while you are doing your business.

Bucky Katt
03-19-2009, 11:19
EWW! I'm never sitting on a toilet seat ever again. SO if you have those little antibacterial wipes...and clean the seat before you sit...will that work?

The Weasel
03-19-2009, 11:45
Yes. It will kill the germs in the crabs. They will be much healthier then.

TW

Bucky Katt
03-19-2009, 15:26
....I'm glad I saw this site. I will continue to do my bizness in the woods....privys be doooomed. lol.

Boudin
03-19-2009, 22:32
This is a public service announcement!!!

Easy Hiker Please report to the free clinic immediately.

randyg45
03-19-2009, 23:16
In 1972 I saw lice run through a barracks at Fort Bragg pretty thoroughly (50% or more, as I remember), and I don't think it was spread by sexual contact...

Lugnut
03-19-2009, 23:23
They have Navy barracks at bragg? :p

Wise Old Owl
03-19-2009, 23:42
What are pubic lice?

How did I get pubic lice?
Pubic lice are usually spread through sexual contact. Rarely, infestation can be spread through contact with an infested person's bed linens, towels, or clothes. A common misbelief is that infestation can be spread by sitting on a toilet seat. This isn't likely, since lice cannot live long away from a warm human body. Also, lice do not have feet designed to walk or hold onto smooth surfaces such as toilet seats.

HH (PS: I ran a medical clinic for 15 years and still say you do not get lice from toilet seats.)

These are wood objects, not toilet seats, we have covered this before.....Yes I too have had no sexual contact and got the worst case out in the field as a teenager. I don't even think a privy was involved when I got it. I was spending three days in a survival test and part of the time I was making cat holes.

Here is a picture of two of my favorite little freinds. - DOAH!

http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg275/MarkSwarbrick/Visitorinabox.jpg

Skyline
03-20-2009, 00:00
Is not gotton from privy's or toilet seats. You had some contact somewhere... I don't think the majority of hikers will need worry about this one. I do not recall any one at anytime getting lice of any kind while on the trail. Chiggers, maybe. Hammock Hanger

Most doctors will belittle the idea that you can get crabs from toilet seats, tho it's probably possible but statistically insignificant. Many a relationship and marriage has been saved by one partner claiming he/she got crabs from a toilet seat, and the other party who became infected by him/her buying it. A polygraph would often prove otherwise.

Most likely is from human-to-human contact. Also plausible is from bedding and/or sleeping bags recently used by someone already infected. If not from actual crabs, then their eggs.

As this applies to the Trail, I'd be weary of sleeping in beds at hostels or motels where the sheets are not changed after every use, and the mattresses sprayed—where there are linens or mattresses. To a lesser extent, I'd be concerned about borrowing someone else's sleeping bag.

Tin Man
03-20-2009, 00:10
i;m with kathfishes, md bluecrabs are yummy.

privy's are for people who pass on picking a private perch under the pristine pines

Bucky Katt
03-20-2009, 13:58
well geesh, the spider in the picture alone is enough to keep me outa privies from now on!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Add the lice to that and fogethaboutit!

Lilred
03-20-2009, 15:15
I got crabs once years a ago from a toilet seat, at an outdoor concert. Getting crabs from a toilet seat in a someone's house, and an outdoor privy, are two different animals. BTW don't lice jump?, they don't have to be on the seat.

Surplusman
05-03-2009, 16:40
EWW! I'm never sitting on a toilet seat ever again. SO if you have those little antibacterial wipes...and clean the seat before you sit...will that work?

I guess you could be doubly safe and use the wipes, plus put down a paper ass gasket before you sit down. :D

warraghiyagey
05-03-2009, 16:52
I got crabs once years a ago from a toilet seat, at an outdoor concert. .

Yeah. . . me too . . . :rolleyes::p:sun

saimyoji
05-03-2009, 18:41
was there a sweaty groupie sittin in your lap at the time?

Chaco Taco
05-03-2009, 18:44
I heard you got herpes on a thruihike:eek:

warraghiyagey
05-03-2009, 18:53
was there a sweaty groupie sittin in your lap at the time?Perdoodle!!!:banana

I heard you got herpes on a thruihike:eek:
Ummm. . . . . maybe. . . . .

Dr O
05-03-2009, 19:25
has anyone experienced this on the trail. I had a bad case when I got off, i think I might have picked them up at Sassafras Gap Privy where there were bugs and weird **** flying all around. Or it could of been from my over indulgence in Gatlinburg, which most I forgot about. Anyways its a concern if you hike.

naa, they don't weigh much

Phoenixdadeadhead
05-03-2009, 20:23
I feel for ya easy hiker, I got them so bad one year while at a gathering, that even after repeated uses of Rid and other products like that, I couldn't get rid of them. I shaved myself bald, washed or replaced all my gear, even added chemicals to the wash to kill off the buggers, but they kept coming back. In the end, I took a large can of Raid and sprayed the crap out of myself everyday for a week, after shaving myself and washing my gear. Now i take Teatree oil on hikes, it has a nice smell and keeps the bugs away, including tics, fleas, lice, and crabs. I haven't noticed a decrease in flying insects though and use spray for those.

Dr O
05-03-2009, 20:26
Vaseline works for drowning chiggers, scabies, and all kinds of mites without chemicals (or in addition to), wonder if it'd work for crabs?

rhodeshale19
05-05-2009, 04:17
About Public Lice

Pubic lice (often called "crabs" because of their crab-like appearance under a microscope) are six-legged creatures that most commonly infest hair in the pubic area, although they also can infest other body hair. In most cases, pubic lice are transmitted sexually (http://kidshealth.org/parent/infections/std/talk_child_stds.html) from the pubic hair of one person to another. But lice can be contracted in other ways, too — from infested clothing, towels, and bedding.
Typically, pubic lice can be treated at home. But if someone in the house has them, it's important to take precautions so that they don't spread.
Symptoms

Although it's possible to be infested and have no symptoms, people with pubic lice usually experience itchiness. This can worsen at night when the lice become active and bury their heads inside pubic hair follicles to feed on a person's blood.

Sometimes, lice bites can also cause the infested area to become inflamed because of a reaction to the proteins in the saliva of the lice. Constant itching and scratching can cause the area to become raw and lead to a secondary bacterial infection. Scratching also can help the pubic lice to spread.

If the infestation consists of many adult lice, symptoms may be noticeable immediately. But if the infestation initially involves a few lice that then lay eggs, a person may not experience any symptoms for 2 to 4 weeks until the eggs hatch.

In young children, pubic lice may also be a cause of blepharitis (irritation or infection of the eyelids). So, a child's eyelashes should be examined with a high-powered magnifying glass if lice are suspected.

Rockhound
05-05-2009, 18:30
It's your own fault for using the privy at Sassafrass Gap. It's the worst privy on the trail. I'd much rather s@#t in the woods.