PDA

View Full Version : Reccomended mail drop and hostel from Springer Mountain

jolly rancher
04-16-2013, 11:03
My son and I are begining a 7 day section hike on memorial weekend begining from the park 8 miles below Springer. (My 16 year old son just signed on!) We trained together in 2011-2012 for a Phimont hike where we completed 100 miles in July of 2012. We are seeking to rekindle the magic and the AT has always been on my bucket list. I'm looking for reccomendations for our first mail stop to re-supply. I can't stand forced marches and like to hike low and slow. Is there a good mail stop/hostel closer than Hiawessee?

atraildreamer
04-16-2013, 11:09
Look here for hotels and hostels:

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/content.php?533

Use the search feature and enter "mail drops" to get LOTS of information from the forum.

The Old Chief
04-16-2013, 15:19
At 28.9 miles from Amicalola Park at Woody Gap there is a hostel in Suches and the Hiker Hostel in Dahlonega will pick up at this location. At 39.5 miles from Park is Mountain Crossings, you'll go right thru it. Supplies and hostel there.

max patch
04-16-2013, 18:46
At 28.9 miles from Amicalola Park at Woody Gap there is a hostel in Suches and the Hiker Hostel in Dahlonega will pick up at this location. At 39.5 miles from Park is Mountain Crossings, you'll go right thru it. Supplies and hostel there.

This is an excellent post and tells you just about everything you need to know.

I'll add a couple minor details; at Mountain Crossings you can also mail yourself a package there if you want - but its not really necessary as they have supplies. Also, you already know about Hiawasse, I'll just point out that you can get there from either Unicoi or Dicks Creek. Or both.

QiWiz
04-16-2013, 20:01
You can send a mail drop to Mountain Crossings, right on trail, just after you descend from Blood Mountain.

SOBO_Pace
04-16-2013, 20:03
MC has supplies and although they have improved they are still limited. Depending on how far you travel a day it will probably take you three days leaving a four day resupply. May not be a bad place to have a box dropped which will allow for more meal choices and limit the redundant meals. May even save you a few dollars.

RED-DOG
04-17-2013, 17:36
Your first drop should be Mountain Crossing ( Neel's Gap) Second, Blue Berry Patch, But i have never used mail drops i have always bought my food.

max patch
04-17-2013, 18:07
Your first drop should be Mountain Crossing ( Neel's Gap) Second, Blue Berry Patch, But i have never used mail drops i have always bought my food.

Blueberry Patch will be closed when jolly rancher is hiking.

generoll
04-17-2013, 21:05
about 30 AT miles to Mountain Crossings.

MuddyWaters
04-18-2013, 22:48
For 7 days, mountain crossings will likely be your only resupply.
You have the option just to carry 7 days food as well.

Venchka
04-22-2013, 22:13
You have the option just to carry 7 days food as well.

The voice of reason.

Wayne

jolly rancher
04-23-2013, 06:13
Thanks everyone! Mountian Crossing it is.

Venchka
04-23-2013, 19:15
You really only need to carry 6 days of food. Assuming a hearty breakfast on Day 1 and snacks in the car and a feast after you leave the trail on Day 7. Fill in the gaps in your food planning at Mountain Crossing.
BTW, have you found the list of resupply points in the Articles section here at WB? All is explained very nicely.

Wayne