PDA

View Full Version : Need a quick gear evaluation.

redline
04-16-2013, 12:15
Hey all. I'm planning to start back my thru hike this weekend (april 19th) and need to know if my hammock setup can handle the elements near the smokies. I originally had a tent setup but saw just how nice and convenient hammocking would be. My biggest issue is I don't want to drop the cash (nor have the time to buy) an underquilt. It's too warm here in Alabama to test the gear properly - projected temps should be low to mid 30's and 40's at night.

Here's what I got:

Grand Trunk Nano 7 hammock
eno profly rainfly
MH Phantom 15 degree bag
cheap fleece sleeping bag liner
Thermarest x-therm sleeping pad

I always hear it's colder in a hammock and that's what has me worried. It's too late to switch out gear but I can always take the tent instead. Any advice appreciated!

bigcranky
04-16-2013, 13:20
My wife has the Xtherm, and it's a nice pad, but my untested opinion is that it's too thick to use well in a hammock. I think it would be warm enough, though, if you can get it to work. Test it in the yard.

I would go to Wal Mart and buy the famous Blue Foam Pad (closed cell foam) and use that. You can cut it down as you see fit - mine is torso length, but I use it in the summer in warmer temps. It's easy to use, light, warm, and carried on top of your pack it's available for breaks and lunch.

Snow>TP
04-16-2013, 19:27
That X-therm is a sweet pad that will keep you warm. You can always hang in shelters to get out of the wind but prepared to go to the ground if you need to. I spent several nights in the 20s later than this last year i the Smokies. Some snow too

zukiguy
04-16-2013, 21:52
The pad is kind of narrow but should work fine. That setup sounds like it would be warm enough. I'd only inflate the pad maybe about 2/3 of the full volume so it can bend and twist in the hammock. You'll have to do a bit of wiggling to get into position but with the bag you should be fine. If you take that fleece then maybe fold it in half and wrap it around your shoulder area. That's the spot that will likely get chilled, anywhere that hangs off the pad and contacts the hammock. I'd open up the bag and drape it on top like a quilt for convenience. You won't need all that insulation on top and that will make it a lot easier to get in/out of the hammock.

flemdawg1
04-18-2013, 16:39
You'll be fine. I used a 15 deg bag on the Pinhoti down to the mid 20s 2 months back using a similar setup.

lilricky
04-18-2013, 22:41
Might want to check out Shug's videos on pads and underquilts : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yFWs6UH7C74 (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yFWs6UH7C74) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XjL4ric6JZc

grayfox
04-19-2013, 13:17
Shug really knows how to get the most out of a hammock and his videos are so much fun that you might spend a whole day watching them!

When I first started using my hammock and realized how cold it can be, I used a cheap mylar space blanket under my hammock tied up loosely by the corners, diamond fashion, with light elastic from the sewing box. It added a lot of warmth and was inexpensive though not too durable.