PDA

View Full Version : Swimming on a.t thru

gratefultrails
04-16-2013, 15:37
I was just wondering how often there is a chance to jump into some water while hiking the A.T?? I sure do love swimming :)

Thanks for the info!

MDSection12
04-16-2013, 16:02
I was just wondering how often there is a chance to jump into some water while hiking the A.T?? I sure do love swimming :)

Thanks for the info!

In Maryland there's only one actually on the trail; the Potomac River just North of Harper's Ferry... Sorry that's all the data I've collected so far. :(

gratefultrails
04-16-2013, 16:16
As of now, I am only planning on hiking from Springer to Harpers Ferry. Might go a few hundred miles past Harpers Ferry, well see when I get there. But some swimming info on the lower half of the A.T would be great!!!

yellowsirocco
04-16-2013, 17:22
There is not much swimming on the trail in the south. You want to go to New England for lots of swimming. Maybe change your plans and do the northern half?

Rasty
04-16-2013, 17:33
Fontana Lake

johnnybgood
04-16-2013, 17:39
If you don't mind a 3.6 mile detour on a blue blaze to reach one then I have a "grateful " swimming hole in mind . This swimming hole is worth a side trip on a hot humid day and is plenty deep toward the middle. In the southern section of SNP,take the Riprap Trail, about 0.4 mile north of the parking area of the same name and descend gradually before reaching the "Gap" where you'll follow the Riprap Trail as it climbs gradually toward Chimney Rocks, a rock outcropping with sweeping views of the valley farmland below. From here it's another two easy descending miles to the swimming hole.

gratefultrails
04-16-2013, 17:43
Thanks! ill write that one down. keep em coming if anyone knows more!

moytoy
04-16-2013, 17:49
The southern AT follows the ridge line, there's just not many swimming places. You can swim at the motel pools:)

Train Wreck
04-16-2013, 17:58
You can go wading, and possibly take a mini dip, if the water's high enough, at Laurel Fork Falls on the trail near Elk Park & Roan Mt. Ditto for Dismal Falls in SW VA. Just be careful and use common sense.

Wise Old Owl
04-16-2013, 18:38
I am all for it - take some Ivory - it floats...

max patch
04-16-2013, 18:50
I am all for it - take some Ivory - it floats...

Are you suggesting he take a bath in our drinking water?

max patch
04-16-2013, 18:51
I waded in the Housatonic when it ran next to the trail. A local told me that wasn't a really smart thing to do.

ratfaceraines
04-16-2013, 20:11
there is a public pool in pearisburg, va.--take a shower, take a swim.

Wise Old Owl
04-16-2013, 20:45
There are far worse "floaters" in YOUR drinking water....

Southerner
04-16-2013, 20:56
Two spots leap to mind in Virginia:

1.) Jennings Creek -- The AT crosses the creek on the Va. 614 bridge, and there's a good swimming hole directly downstream of the bridge. It's also a good camping spot, though the road access opens it up as a locals' party spot (which you may consider a good or bad thing). It's a good spot to cool off after coming down (northbound) from Cove Mountain and getting ready to go over Fork Mountain, a true PUD.

2.) James River -- The AT follows the James for about a mile from the mouth of Matts Creek northbound to the impressive James River Foot Bridge. Any place along there can make for a good swimming spot, though be weary of strong currents. A lot of people swim right at the south end of the bridge. People used to jump from the bridge into the river, but the USFS made a rule against it. Naturally, I am sure a lot of people routinely ignore the rule and jump anyhow.

gratefultrails
04-16-2013, 21:07
Two spots leap to mind in Virginia:

1.) Jennings Creek -- The AT crosses the creek on the Va. 614 bridge, and there's a good swimming hole directly downstream of the bridge. It's also a good camping spot, though the road access opens it up as a locals' party spot (which you may consider a good or bad thing). It's a good spot to cool off after coming down (northbound) from Cove Mountain and getting ready to go over Fork Mountain, a true PUD.

2.) James River -- The AT follows the James for about a mile from the mouth of Matts Creek northbound to the impressive James River Foot Bridge. Any place along there can make for a good swimming spot, though be weary of strong currents. A lot of people swim right at the south end of the bridge. People used to jump from the bridge into the river, but the USFS made a rule against it. Naturally, I am sure a lot of people routinely ignore the rule and jump anyhow.

Thanks! Great info

evyck da fleet
04-16-2013, 22:08
Watauga Lake has a small beach and rope swing nearby. As said before Jennings Creek is a good spot. HoJos in Daleville has a pool. If you venture into PA, Caledonia Park has a pool (I think its $5) and Pine whatever park just past the 1/2 mark has a beach.

Sarcasm the elf
04-16-2013, 23:50
I waded in the Housatonic when it ran next to the trail. A local told me that wasn't a really smart thing to do.

His advice is about 50 years late, I still wouldn't recommend eating fish out of the Housy every night, but it's safe for swimming and wading. My house is on the bank of (and occasionally literally underneath) the Housatonic on one of the hydroelectric dam lakes downstream, nobody worries about swimming in it.

Feral Bill
04-17-2013, 00:13
If you find yourself in NY, There is a beach at Lake Tiorati and a pool at Bear Mountain. I'm not sure if Island Pond is legal to swim in.

tf bear
04-17-2013, 08:39
Pine grove. Home of the half gallon challenge has a nice lake with a beach. Boling springs has a community pool and Calidonia park has a pool for campers. All in PA a days walk from each other

DeerPath
04-17-2013, 09:18
At Dick's Dome Shelter, mile 980.3, Whiskey Hollow Creek, follow it down hill a short ways to two pools large enough to soak in.

Nooga
04-17-2013, 15:46
When it gets hot, like you I love to go for a dip. I will warn that we had a fatality last year. A young thru hiker dove into a pond in Maine, that was spring fed with cold spots, cramped and drowned.

Tennessee Viking
04-17-2013, 15:56
Just remember that there are some areas that river and swimming holes are the only source of water.

In the south there are few waterfalls and cascades you can get under in the Tennessee area.

You can canoe/kayak the Nolichucky in Erwin.
Swim the pool at Laurel Fork Falls (TN) with care. Its an extreme tourist area. Don't climb it. People have died here.
There is Shook Branch Rec Area at Watauga Lake just off the trail.

Chaco Taco
04-17-2013, 17:37
Blue Blaze the Mau Har Trail, swimmin holes everywhere. Nice when its 90 degrees. Hitch down to Buena Vista? and hang out along the James River. We stayed there most of the day sittin in the shade, and swimming in the river. Daleville had the most amazing pool at the Comfort Inn. The staff we had there, was awesome. The manager of the hotel gave us a ride to the Outfitters and anywhere we needed to go. There are swimming pools and swimmin holes all along the AT.

virginia jen
04-17-2013, 18:17
+1 on Mau-har blue blaze, really lovely. Paul C.Wolfe shelter (5 miles before Waynesboro) has Mill Creek running in front. Nice swimming holes a but further down from the shelter. Cedar Run &White Oak canyon detour in SNP has lovely waterfalls & a rockslide (at white oak canyon)

SunnyWalker
04-18-2013, 01:35
Lots of opportunities, it just has to warm up a bit!

peakbagger
04-18-2013, 08:42
Maine must have 75% of the swimming spots

Tuckahoe
04-18-2013, 09:11
Whitetop Laurel Creek along the trail between Damascus and Lost Mt Shelter looked pretty inviting.

HikerMom58
04-18-2013, 09:21
Blue Blaze the Mau Har Trail, swimmin holes everywhere. Nice when its 90 degrees. Hitch down to Buena Vista? and hang out along the James River. We stayed there most of the day sittin in the shade, and swimming in the river. Daleville had the most amazing pool at the Comfort Inn. The staff we had there, was awesome. The manager of the hotel gave us a ride to the Outfitters and anywhere we needed to go. There are swimming pools and swimmin holes all along the AT.

Good to know about the pool at Comfort Inn in Daleville CT. I've been to the one at HoJo's. The view from that pool is amazing. Tinker Mtn is right there!! Also, good to know about the manager shuttling you around! :D

Ken.davidson
04-18-2013, 09:24
There is lots of fun to be had at Sliding Rock, not much for swimming but it is close to the AT.

http://www.fs.usda.gov/recarea/nfsnc/recreation/recarea/?recid=48156&actid=82

flemdawg1
04-18-2013, 11:20
There's a beautiful little pond (mile 560) 2 miles south of the Chestnut Knob Shelter, I enjoyed a dip there on my hike there last May.