PDA

View Full Version : Speer Hammock

stag3
07-04-2005, 20:08
Looks like a lot of HH fans at this site. I have the bottom entry UL Backpacker and might switch to a Speer. The problem with HH is using a sleeping pad inside the hammock. Once you manage to get arranged-not a trivial task-the pad will slide out from under the sleeping bag :datz . The HH underbag looks like too much trouble.

The Speer photos and side entry seem to eliminate this problem.

So, does any one have experience with HH and Speer?

Just Jeff
07-04-2005, 20:20
I think my homemade Speer is warmer and much more comfortable than my HH.

If you get one of Speer's SPEs, it might solve the squirting pad problem no matter which hammock you use.

Or you could get an underquilt or PeaPod and leave the pad at home...much more comfortable that way. Check out my page for other ideas to stay warm: http://www.geocities.com/jwj32542/HammockCamping.html

neo
07-04-2005, 20:50
Looks like a lot of HH fans at this site. I have the bottom entry UL Backpacker and might switch to a Speer. The problem with HH is using a sleeping pad inside the hammock. Once you manage to get arranged-not a trivial task-the pad will slide out from under the sleeping bag :datz . The HH underbag looks like too much trouble.

The Speer photos and side entry seem to eliminate this problem.

So, does any one have experience with HH and Speer?
i am a henn.hammock fan,but i use a speer hammock sleeping quilt
and a speer segmented pad extender,ed is a great guy,:cool: neo

http://www.speerhammocks.com/Products/SPE.htm

Youngblood
07-05-2005, 01:15
I used a HH before I switched to a Speer hammock (home made). Most of my backpacking is in the Appalachian Mountains and in my opinion the Speer is a better choice for that type of hiking. There are several reasons for that and dealing with bottom side insulation with a bottom entry hammock is just one of them. Some of the other reasons are that I find a bugnet undesireable except when it is needed for insects or extra warmth, I enjoy being able to easily reach stuff without exiting the hammock and I enjoy rocking myself to sleep. Tarps can be substituted, but I think it is appropriate to mention that I also like a rectangular tarp because I feel they give the best coverage and they are worth the extra weight to me. I guess I look at tarp size this way-- if I am going to bother to take a tarp, then I want a full sized tarp, not half of one.

Youngblood

Fiddleback
07-05-2005, 12:08
When I started reading about hammock hanging it sounded to me that getting in and out of a sleeping bag had a bit of a learning curve. And there was a fair amount of writing about slippery pads too. Eventually, Sgt Rock's site tipped me off to Oware's 40X60X1/4", 7oz pad (it's too big to squirt out:D ) and I never have slept in a sleeping bag in my HH. My first year in the HH I slept in cold-weather clothing that was part of my standard pack. This year I've added a quilt but have yet to get out with it and the HH together.

I did take the quilt to ground last week on an outing with a hammock-less friend. I used a 25 year old ThermaRest and folded the Oware pad around it like a taco shell. It was surprisingly comfortable and warm (low temps in mid-40s, snow all around but not under us) and, given the type of foam the Oware uses, there was no slipping and sliding.

It was really convenient during last year's season to get in and out of the hammock during the night without having to hassle with getting back into a cooled-down sleeping bag. And, of course, it was nice to shuck the the weight and volume of the bag while hoofin' around. The quilt I've added has added back a pound.

Fiddleback

chowhound
07-06-2005, 11:44
Just how warm is the Oware pad? I just bought a hammock, and am now thinking about how to keep warm. For background info, I'm short and thin with not a lot of body fat. I'm aware of the various underquilt options, and may try to make one in the future, but right now I'm looking for simple and inexpensive.

Thanks,

Bill

SGT Rock
07-06-2005, 18:16
I use a two layer saet-up I made and I've used it down into the 30s. The weight for my mummy cut version is 9.6 ounces.

stag3
07-08-2005, 07:02
Thanks for all of the replies....I think I,'ve got this figured out.

First, the problem with the Thermarest pad is the slick surface. It does not grip any to the nylon hammoc, just really slick. No way this is going to work. Maybe I'll glue some of the rubberized material used for drawer lining to the pad.

The $12 WalMart foam (egg crate looking, blue) grips the nylon and has the additional benefit of being 24 " wide. Keeping the full 72" length will let me get double thickness by folfing for those times I need to use the HH as a tent. Final idea is to slit the pad to match the entry on HH.

SGT Rock
07-08-2005, 10:35
Thanks for all of the replies....I think I,'ve got this figured out.

First, the problem with the Thermarest pad is the slick surface. It does not grip any to the nylon hammoc, just really slick. No way this is going to work. Maybe I'll glue some of the rubberized material used for drawer lining to the pad.

The $12 WalMart foam (egg crate looking, blue) grips the nylon and has the additional benefit of being 24 " wide. Keeping the full 72" length will let me get double thickness by folfing for those times I need to use the HH as a tent. Final idea is to slit the pad to match the entry on HH.
I had one of those (well I still have it but don't use it) and it didn't keep me warm worth a flip.

Just Jeff
07-08-2005, 10:46
Rock, why didn't the pad keep you warm? Too narrow?

Stag, try putting a few lines of silicone on the underside of the pad. I haven't tried it but I've heard it works well, and it's much lighter than that shelving stuff.

SGT Rock
07-08-2005, 10:56
Rock, why didn't the pad keep you warm? Too narrow?

Stag, try putting a few lines of silicone on the underside of the pad. I haven't tried it but I've heard it works well, and it's much lighter than that shelving stuff.
I think it was because it was too thin. Egg-crate pattern, in my experience, uses that wavy pattern to make a thin, light pad look thick. That thin pad didn't cut it. The Evazote pad I double layered would have the same problem if I left it single layer.

DLFrost
07-08-2005, 22:22

Some folks get shower stickers (to make tubs non-slip) and put them on their the bottom of their pads.

The WalMart eggcrate pad should be sevearly trimmed down to a mummy shape (and also trimmed at the opposing corners) to fit in & behave in a Hennessey. Otherwise it will ruck like crazy at the edges of the pad and pop up and shift around. Leave extra at the shoulders for your shoulders/arms. There are better closed cell pads though... this one seems a bit heavy.

Check out Ed Speer's new SPD pad holding gizmo. You could make one yourself if you're short on money. (www.speerhammocks.com) These allow you to use better pads even though they aren't as wide as you'd want--you just stick extra into the whings.

Doug Frost

stag3
07-20-2005, 23:22
Thanks for the input---the problem is solved. I used the shelf liner that wieghs 1 oz/sq ft, some is 1.4 oz. I used two 4"x6" patches-one under the shoulder area and one under the butt area. Then two 3"x3"-one under the feet and one about 18" up the pad. The total weight is less than 1 oz.

It works perfectly, and there is no movement of the pad. Maybe smaller patches would work.