PDA

View Full Version : Clipping The Nails Before hiking:

Kookork
04-17-2013, 17:22
The concept of preparing for a major hike is well discussed in this forum. Clipping the nails is one of them which I always consider before a long distance hike.

Keeping the nails of both hands and feet short helps maintaining the hygiene easier while hiking and in long run it can prevent developing blisters on feet.

The point is that it is better to be done a few days prior to the hike because any minor trauma to the nail bed and corners of fingers can be exaggerated while hiking.

During the long distance hiking the best time for clipping the nails is in the afternoon of the days that the feet has been wet for long time for some reasons.The soaked nails are much easier and less traumatic to cut .

Have I missed something you want to mention?

mrcoffeect
04-17-2013, 19:44
properly trimmed toenails prolong the life of your socks too! :D
But i have found if I let them puppies grow, I can climb a tree like a possum:banana.

The Ace
04-17-2013, 19:59
But i have found if I let them puppies grow, I can climb a tree like a possum:banana.

And yet another reason why I sleep with my food.

Biggie Master
04-17-2013, 20:28
Oh great. Now the young and entitled thru hikers will be expecting a free mani-pedi at every road crossing.

Rasty
04-17-2013, 20:30
Oh great. Now the young and entitled thru hikers will be expecting a free mani-pedi at every road crossing.

Not enough money in the world.

Hairbear
04-17-2013, 20:34

My mother in law can do that too. she also can nag it until it uproots and runs.

Wise Old Owl
04-17-2013, 20:41
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pP8LjEhNcKI

Coosa
04-17-2013, 21:01
I just carry a nail file and take a few seconds every day or every other day to lightly file all my nails.

That video grossed me out and I have a strong stomach.

Coosa

Wise Old Owl
04-17-2013, 21:48
WELL Coosa it grossed me out too but long distance hikers get them removed. And it blew me away...

coach lou
04-17-2013, 22:18
I just carry a nail file and take a few seconds every day or every other day to lightly file all my nails.

Coosa

Whoa......I could only do 56 seconds of that video. I missed the part where they put a gallon of novacaine in there first!!!!!!!!

Kookork
04-17-2013, 22:33
I have done this surgery on a few patients and it has been done on my both toe nails 10 years ago by my fellow colleague. It looks bad but the procedure is painless. the pain starts when the local anesthesia fades away and last for couple of hours.

HikerMom58
04-17-2013, 22:41
I have done this surgery on a few patients and it has been done on my both toe nails 10 years ago by my fellow colleague. It looks bad but the procedure is painless. the pain starts when the local anesthesia fades away and last for couple of hours.

I did not know you were a surgeon KoKo...

It's funny that you started this thread cause I had just worked on my toes right before I saw this thread...:cool:

Kookork
04-18-2013, 00:01
I did not know you were a surgeon KoKo...

It's funny that you started this thread cause I had just worked on my toes right before I saw this thread...:cool:

I was not a surgeon HM.I was( or you can say I am) a medical doctor/General practitioner but I have done many surgeries throughout my medical carrier and during the war. That is how you make money being a GP in third world countries.

mrcoffeect
04-18-2013, 07:02
My mother in law can do that too. she also can nag it until it uproots and runs.

that's priceless.

daddytwosticks
04-18-2013, 07:12
Don't forget to exfoliate...reduces skin-out weight. :)

Capt Nat
04-18-2013, 07:15
That is just one of the reasons that I carry a full sized knife...

HikerMom58
04-18-2013, 09:10
I was not a surgeon HM.I was( or you can say I am) a medical doctor/General practitioner but I have done many surgeries throughout my medical carrier and during the war. That is how you make money being a GP in third world countries.

Very nice KoKo! Sounds like you've had an interesting life so far....and you're still so young! :>) Nice to have you here!

Nytro
06-01-2013, 11:02
You could always carry a small swiss army knife with a nail file and scissors to maintain your nails on the trail. Before you leave I definitely would trim my nails very short before a long trip.

Malto
06-01-2013, 12:18
Slightly related to clipping toenails prior to hikes. I get small hard callous like spots just behind my small toe. I now shave off these spots with a cheap bic razor. If I don't the pressure that the hard spot causes develops into pain. This eliminates that issue. If only I would have known this prior to my thru it would have saved me considerable pain. This would also apply to any hard spot, not callouses as well.

agree with the OP comment on doing it a few days prior.

Patrickjd9
06-01-2013, 16:58
Probably going to lose a toenail (second toe) on my right foot. Still red under half of it about four weeks after finishing a section hike.

Kookork
06-01-2013, 18:50
Probably going to lose a toenail (second toe) on my right foot. Still red under half of it about four weeks after finishing a section hike.
If after 3 weeks under your second toenail is red ( and not black or deep purple) then it is gonna survive.

Del Q
06-02-2013, 14:49
Good move, years ago I added "clip nails" to my prep list. (Also put isopropyl alcohol on my feet 2x per day two-weeks in), I figure that each 12-mile day is 25,000 - 30,000 steps, every day for 10-12 days for me. My toes rub together enough, years ago I got nasty blisters by NOT clipping nails.

BirdBrain
06-02-2013, 15:10

Coosa

That is my plan. An emery board works fine and weighs less than the clippers. Clippers can leave rough edges that might need filing anyways.

Autumn A.
06-04-2013, 03:36
Oh, how I wish people would stop throwing the word "young" in there before entitled. Let's not forget, the self-entitled come in EVERY shape and form, not just us young ones.

Kookork
06-04-2013, 07:51
Oh, how I wish people would stop throwing the word "young" in there before entitled. Let's not forget, the self-entitled come in EVERY shape and form, not just us young ones.

Autumn A: welcome to Whiteblaze . With this kind of attitude you can change the mind of many members here about the young ones like you.