PDA

View Full Version : Anterolateral Ankle Impingement

treesloth
04-17-2013, 18:40
Yup. Who doesn't love a big word. Or two. So, my last hike was a while ago (mid Feb, I think) as I've been dealing with this maddening injury on my left ankle. I figured I'd be getting some good results after two months of rest. But still apparently have some issues.

And don't get me wrong, I'm not complaining here. Just looking for some insight about this type of injury. The web page below explains, but it's basically scarring on the tendons from a prior injury, and scar tissue buildup on top of that with more activity.

http://www.footeducation.com/anterolateral-ankle-impingement-dukes-lesion

The best way I could explain the way it feels is like 2 or 3 tiny snakes that just ate 2 or 3 mice, under your skin between the ankle and top of foot. Really weird and bumpy. And of course painful.

I'm going to see an orthopedist this week. Just looking to see if any of you have dealt with this, and what kind of treatment and/or therapy you did to fix it. I'm ready for someone to jam a needle in my foot and slice it open if that'll get rid of this problem. Getting a little antsy. :) Thanks for any info you can give.

The Solemates
04-19-2013, 21:29
i've sprained my right ankle 7 times and fractured it once. i would not call myself a chronic sprainer....just really active and have done some stupid stuff. i have an osteochondral defect and an avulsion of the talus that i deal with every day. its not really that painful....until i play ball on it and then its painful afterwords. i've always thought the chondroitin/glucosamine pills were hocus pocus, but recently I have started taking them and they seem to help. (i take them for my knees and hips too). i've been taking them for about a month now.

not sure if this will help if you have a ligament issue, but it wouldnt hurt and it may be something you should try. they havent been evaluated by the FDA, fyi though.