PDA

View Full Version : Must see blue blaze trails

gratefultrails
04-17-2013, 19:02
I will be hiking from springer to Harpers Ferry this summer. Looking for some info on some must see, totally worth the extra miles, blue blaze trails along the A.T. Any insight is greatly appreciated!

brian039
04-17-2013, 19:12
Take the trail to Mt Cammerer in the Smokies and I'd do the Wilburn Ridge Trail (weather permitting) instead of the AT through Grayson Highlands, I think it's stupid that it isn't the AT.

generoll
04-17-2013, 19:24
nice side trail between Carter Gap shelter and Betty Creek Gap. Nearly 10 yards long and leads to a lovely view to the SE towards Clayton, GA. You'll be walking a ridgeline among rhododendron and scrub. Look for it to your right.

Almost There
04-17-2013, 19:31
Kimsey Creek Trail is a nice detour of Standing Indian just into North Carolina out of Deep Gap, and you can even pop into the campground to buy goodies from the camp store before hiking on and hooking back up with the AT.

4shot
04-17-2013, 19:51
I don't recall the names of any blue blazes really but take a map and just check them out...some of them are (almost) never travelled, poorly maintained (if at all) and are therefore hardly blazed at all. Spent many miles sort of thrashing around and bushwacking in cases. Broke up the routine a bit for me.....however I wouldn't have tried this w/out map and compass. Of course some of the blue blazes are in fact clearly blazed and maintained and make a bit more sense from getting from point A to point B....one never knows.

max patch
04-17-2013, 20:30
Kimsey Creek Trail is a nice detour of Standing Indian just into North Carolina out of Deep Gap, and you can even pop into the campground to buy goodies from the camp store before hiking on and hooking back up with the AT.

I love the KCT, but if you take that instead of the AT you'll miss Standing Indian Mtn and Albert Mtn and that would be a shame.

max patch
04-17-2013, 20:34
The Mau Har Trail in VA is "better" than the AT that it bypasses IMO.

Agree with the comment above that the best way to find other trails is to bring your maps - you'll see many trails that won't be written about in your guidebooks.

Donde
04-17-2013, 20:38
The Mau-Har Trail just north of the Tye river in VA. It used to be the AT, then they did a longer reroute at Three Ridges. It is a beautiful and slightly challenging climb with some nice minor falls.

Lone Wolf
04-17-2013, 20:47
I will be hiking from springer to Harpers Ferry this summer. Looking for some info on some must see, totally worth the extra miles, blue blaze trails along the A.T. Any insight is greatly appreciated!
Wesser Creek trail, Virginia Creeper trail, walkin' on Skyline drive and Blue Ridge parkway, MauHar trail

gratefultrails
04-17-2013, 21:01
The Mau Har Trail in VA is "better" than the AT that it bypasses IMO.

Agree with the comment above that the best way to find other trails is to bring your maps - you'll see many trails that won't be written about in your guidebooks.

How would i go about getting blue blaze maps? will they be in towns or do you need to get them ahead of time??

Lone Wolf
04-17-2013, 21:06
How would i go about getting blue blaze maps? will they be in towns or do you need to get them ahead of time??

the AT maps show these trails

johnnybgood
04-17-2013, 21:14
Try www.hikingupward.com (http://www.hikingupward.com) for trails in the Mid Atlantic region. Another vote here for the Mar Har.

rickb
04-17-2013, 21:15
Strictly speaking there isn't any "must see" blue blaze, vista, waterfall, hostel or wayside along the AT. It's the total experience that will be so special, not the sum of the parts.

Definitely consider all of the suggestions to come your way, or just sit on your ass at the junction to that special spot and watch an ant hill if you are so inclined. Better still, find something not on any list.

Its all good.

Rock Lobster
04-17-2013, 22:53
The Gulf Hagas in the 100-mile wilderness is nice.
I also heard the Mau-Har was cool, but as the hiker who owns the B&B in town said, "It's a bitch."
If you're not a purist, you'll probably enjoy the VA Creeper trail more than the AT there. Lots of PUDs, no views, while the Creeper is flat and follows the river.
I skipped Mt. Cammerer because it was fogged in but a friend said "Top 5 on the trail"
The same friend also recommended Wilburn Ridge.
It's only .2 off, but don't miss Charlie's Bunion.

Skip the Crabtree Falls blue blaze near the Priest - the Companion listed it at .2, but it's actually 2.2 one way and steep. I hear the falls are nice, but not worth it IMO.

Donde
04-18-2013, 04:30
I also heard the Mau-Har was cool, but as the hiker who owns the B&B in town said, "It's a bitch."
IMO.
Yeah it will save a few miles, but will not save any time. Worth the effort though.

Tennessee Viking
04-18-2013, 09:10
Laurel Fork Trail is a fairly remote trail from Dennis Cove campground to Walnut Mountain Road. But you can really jump off at Bitter End (FSR 293). You ford Laurel Fork a number of times; sometimes ankle deep to waist deep water. You pass a couple small waterfalls.

Roan High Bluff. Very easy and quick side trip from Cloudland.

Grassy Ridge. The side trail leading to the right from the Roan Balds. The peak is above 6000'. Follow the grown over trail to Grassy Ridge Cliffs.

Rich Mountain firetower. Quick side trip to the tower overlook. Very good cowboy spot.

The old Runion lumber camp. Its sits on the confluence of the Laurel Creek and French Broad just outside of Hot Springs. I think there is a small trail from Pump Gap down to the railroad that runs by it. The traditional trailhead is an old road trail from US25/70 at Hurricane.

Standing Indian summit. Very short side trip to the overlook.

CrumbSnatcher
04-18-2013, 11:28
southern terminus of the Tuscarora/overall run trail, blue blaze dives off the A.T. in the SNP. with 93' overall runs falls, 29' cascade falls & a butt load of bears :-)

Gray Blazer
04-18-2013, 12:55
Rich Mountain firetower. Quick side trip to the tower overlook. Very good cowboy spot.

Rich Mountain Fire Tower is nice. If you cowboy there, I hope it doesn't rain as the floor holds water better than the roof if you know what I mean. I speak from experience. Wesser Creek Trail is nice, but, I'd stay on the AT cuz it's a lot of road walking back to the AT.

aficion
04-18-2013, 13:30
Mau Har as either a short cut, or out and back side trail right off Maupin Field shelter at AT. Longer worthwhile side trip is Old Rag Mountain in SNP. Several different approach options. See SNP maps. Probably at least 15 miles from AT, across Old Rag, and back, no matter how you do it.

Jeff
04-18-2013, 15:08
A .2 mile side trail to "The Lookout" Cabin in Vermont. Outstanding views in a section with virtually no vistas on the AT proper.

Sherburne Pass Trail that takes you to the front door of the Inn at the Long Trail....and avoids a 1 mile roadwalk to the Inn.

fredmugs
04-18-2013, 15:20
If you're not a purist, you'll probably enjoy the VA Creeper trail more than the AT there. Lots of PUDs, no views, while the Creeper is flat and follows the river.

+1 for Gulf Hagas. I did Mau-Har SOBO and it wasn't hard at all and I saw a rattler. Creeper Trail is cake for sure. I only did the very end before Damascus heading SOBO cuz it was a monsoon.

fertilizer
04-18-2013, 16:33
The Jump off and Charlie's Bunion in the Smokies a few miles North of Newfound Gap.

gratefultrails
04-18-2013, 16:45
Where would I get these AT maps? I have the Awol guide book but there is no blue blaze info in there

springerfever
04-18-2013, 19:44
The Boulevard trail over to Mt Leconte is spectacular ridge walking and there is an AT shelter if you decide to overnight. Trail is on the left just before reaching Icewater Spring shelter.

I would highly recommend Mt. Cammerer even in the fog...it is that unique!

johnnybgood
04-18-2013, 21:12
Bearfence Loop Trail, in the central section of Shenandoah Nat'l Park is a challenging rock scramble to great views.

Rock Lobster
04-18-2013, 23:42
Sherburne Pass Trail that takes you to the front door of the Inn at the Long Trail....and avoids a 1 mile roadwalk to the Inn.

+1

Also, I hear that Long Trail is a nice blue blaze if you've got the time... :)

wcgornto
04-19-2013, 02:19
Where would I get these AT maps? I have the Awol guide book but there is no blue blaze info in there

Link to full AT map bundle.

https://www.atctrailstore.org/catalog/iteminfo.cfm?itemid=190&compid=1

You can also buy them for one or more specific states rather than all at once.

gollwoods
05-05-2013, 03:20
in the smokies just before you get to icewater shelter a few feet up the boulevard trail there is asign for the jump off. .5 mi to a magnificient view. I would leave the pack at icewater then go see it.

bigcranky
05-05-2013, 08:08
Most official AT maps are decent. Note that National Geographic sells larger maps that cover more miles and IMHO are much better than most of the official maps. Not sure you can cover the whole trail with them, but they are out there.

Just past Mt Rogers, the Pine Mountain Trail is a two-mile trail that cuts off ~8 miles of AT, but it stays up high on the ridgeline. It's a popular loop hike for weekenders with the AT from Grayson Highlands -- I'd be tempted to do the loop as part of a thru-hike (take the PMT, then the AT sobo, then the PMT again - it's obvious on a map.)

Meriadoc
05-05-2013, 08:15

I love the KCT, but if you take that instead of the AT you'll miss Standing Indian Mtn and Albert Mtn and that would be a shame.
What Max Patch said. Also, when I was at the campground three weeks ago, there was nothing for sale. I'm not sure if that is going to continue or if it was just because it is early in the season for them. They are geared toward the RV and car camping, so their season was just starting in April.

Side trails to not miss:
Any trail to a bald, but particularly Siler's Bald just north of Winding Stair Gap
Charlies Bunion in the Smokies just north of Newfound Gap
Mt. Cammerer in the Smokies
Spy Rock in VA

4shot
05-05-2013, 08:58
Just past Mt Rogers, the Pine Mountain Trail is a two-mile trail that cuts off ~8 miles of AT, but it stays up high on the ridgeline. It's a popular loop hike for weekenders with the AT from Grayson Highlands -- I'd be tempted to do the loop as part of a thru-hike (take the PMT, then the AT sobo, then the PMT again - it's obvious on a map.)

I believe that the Pine mountain trail is also the name of the trail that will take you from the AT directly into Gorham, NH. It forks off just past one of the huts (name escapes me). It saves the hassle of getting to the notch and hitching back to town. as I understand it, it used to be the original AT anyways.I know this is outside the scope of where the OP is hiking this summer and it's really not a "must see" but it does eliminate a hitch into town.

MuddyWaters
05-05-2013, 10:18
dontcha know blue blazes are heresy here.

just stare at your feet and keep walking the whiteblazed path
its all that "counts"

even if you miss the best views, falls, or areas of interest

rickb
05-05-2013, 10:46

its all that "counts"

You may have a different experience than me, but 30 years after the fact most of the individual "sights" along and off the AT faded in their importance long ago. That's not to say one should not go visit them if so inspired, but rather to suggest that its very OK not to see everything.

The one blue-blaze that I think might really stand out for a lifetime is the Knife's edge on Katahdin, but few thru hikers take it -- or even walk out it and back.

johnnybgood
05-05-2013, 10:59

its all that "counts"

Hooray for boring ! :rolleyes: I've done far more blueblazing than whiteblazing.

Now that I admitted that I feel much better...:)