PDA

View Full Version : Something to think about when sharing your advice

slow mind
04-17-2013, 19:10
Quoted from another site:

"white blaze almost ruined my entire experience. I am new to hiking and planned on hiking for the first time this year. their negativity caused me to completely change my date and re-consider taking my kids. Yes, I am fat. Yes, I am a newb. Yes, it's dangerous for me and my kids considering. Yes, I need better equipment. Yes, I need more experience. However, they went on and one about it until I just said **** it. I shouldn't have let them get in my head and I wont next time, but they made it sound horrible. I was constantly hearing how i wouldn't finish because i was fat with no experience. I even had one lady threaten to call CPS on me because she said it was a horrible thing as a parent to take my kids on a thru hike so they can see me die of a heart attack...lol....I am not that damn big (6'0-250)...lol"

Why not use this forum to be consistently helpful? It's not a private club. Be nice.

BobTheBuilder
04-17-2013, 19:30
WB might have ruined their hiking experience, but it probably saved the kids a lot of pain and suffering. I know people like that. Its all about them. Nothing wrong with being helpful, I just think the WB readers were being helpful to the kids.

MuddyWaters
04-17-2013, 19:33
I think 99% of whats posted here is helpful , personally.

Most new attempting thru hikers have :
1) no experience
2) out of shape
3) carrying too heavy loads

Not that much different.

Anyone is free to take, or ignore, any advice.

The friction between differences of opinion, is where real education is found.

mrcoffeect
04-17-2013, 19:33
wow that's pretty harsh. Im glad that I can say im not guilty of spitting that kind of venom out of my keyboard. I like to encourage anyone that shows an interest in hiking or backpacking. Im more of a "you can do it" kinda guy.

kayak karl
04-17-2013, 19:57
hopefully there hear the answers they WANT on the other site.

Kookork
04-17-2013, 20:01
I was not an active WB member when this happened and I like to find the thread about it and read it completely but I command WB members if they tried to convince this fellow hiker to act more responsibly. If I remember correctly he wanted to hike with his kids ( wrong company) in a wrong season with wrong preparation( both mentally and physically) and wrong gear and with not enough experience. I will not be the guy to say him " You can do it" in this case.

For me the safety and health of a hiker is way beyond anything else and especially the safety of the innocent kids of him. Shouldn't a hike be a enjoyable experience?

Sometimes WB is a little tough on new members but not in this case.

The Ace
04-17-2013, 20:02
I'm not buying any of that quote.

haolejohn
04-17-2013, 20:03
I'm new here. I'm not new to backpacking, but I'm not a thru-hiker either. I am fat. I currently weigh 250 lbs and I am only 5'9". But a year ago I weighed 290 lbs on my first long (to me) backpacking trip since my Marine days.

I get a decent vibe here. I have been reading many older threads and there are some "elitist" out there, but that is in any online community. I have encountered serious hikers and half were snobs and the other half were willing to share their wealth of knowledge.

There is nothing wrong with starting a thru-hike or even a section hike being out of shape. Heck to be honest with you...it is one of the best ways to get into shape (at least for me it is).

SO maybe the guy was right, but I feel that most of the interactions here are fairly decent.

Rasty
04-17-2013, 20:03
Sounds like a bit of exaggeration.

HikerMom58
04-17-2013, 20:12
SM... I'm racking my brain trying to think of someone, like you describe, asking for support on WB. I know of a King Gator from another forum, that sounds familiar. Sometimes a person that is "talking" ,on here, makes it difficult to be supportive of them. But, we should always try to speak the truth in love, that's a given. Don't you agree?

When you feel innocence (young children) aren't being properly cared for on the trail. That is tough.

If we all remain teachable (being willing to listen to people and learn from them; being willing to let others help you learn and grow)
& respectful , then our interactions with each other can be extremely helpful. Not hurtful.

Hairbear
04-17-2013, 20:17
dude there was a tragic thing that happened to a dad and his two kids on the o t in missouri. They all froze to death ,these folks are trying to help you even if you dont know it.

Hairbear
04-17-2013, 20:22
I'm new here. I'm not new to backpacking, but I'm not a thru-hiker either. I am fat. I currently weigh 250 lbs and I am only 5'9". But a year ago I weighed 290 lbs on my first long (to me) backpacking trip since my Marine days.

I get a decent vibe here. I have been reading many older threads and there are some "elitist" out there, but that is in any online community. I have encountered serious hikers and half were snobs and the other half were willing to share their wealth of knowledge.

There is nothing wrong with starting a thru-hike or even a section hike being out of shape. Heck to be honest with you...it is one of the best ways to get into shape (at least for me it is).

SO maybe the guy was right, but I feel that most of the interactions here are fairly decent.

Congrats on your progress. Keep going and soon you will know exactly what your ready for. Enjoy every minute of it .

Sarcasm the elf
04-17-2013, 20:23
This is an Internet forum, it's a medium that lends itself both to posting things the are written more bluntly than would likely be said if one were speaking face to face with a person. It is also a medium that allows people to very easily misinterpret the meaning of other people's posts or jump to conclusions. This is by far one of the most civil Internet forums I've seen especially give the number of active users.

HikerMom58
04-17-2013, 20:34
This is an Internet forum, it's a medium that lends itself both to posting things the are written more bluntly than would likely be said if one were speaking face to face with a person. It is also a medium that allows people to very easily misinterpret the meaning of other people's posts or jump to conclusions. This is by far one of the most civil Internet forums I've seen especially give the number of active users.

I agree 100% Elf. I didn't realize how civil this forum was b/c I have never been a part of other forum before this one. After observing other forums- Yeah, this one is tame. People, on here, are willing to make things right with each other. People have done that more than once. It's refreshing! :)

Lone Wolf
04-17-2013, 20:40

"white blaze almost ruined my entire experience. I am new to hiking and planned on hiking for the first time this year. their negativity caused me to completely change my date and re-consider taking my kids. Yes, I am fat. Yes, I am a newb. Yes, it's dangerous for me and my kids considering. Yes, I need better equipment. Yes, I need more experience. However, they went on and one about it until I just said **** it. I shouldn't have let them get in my head and I wont next time, but they made it sound horrible. I was constantly hearing how i wouldn't finish because i was fat with no experience. I even had one lady threaten to call CPS on me because she said it was a horrible thing as a parent to take my kids on a thru hike so they can see me die of a heart attack...lol....I am not that damn big (6'0-250)...lol"

Why not use this forum to be consistently helpful? It's not a private club. Be nice.

WB is JUST an internet forum. i was a newbie once. i had no internet or books or videos to learn from.him BLAMING WB is friggin stupid. some folks should just stay on the couch

Malto
04-17-2013, 20:43

i remember this thread as well as related ones on a couple of other sites. The CPS comment was on another site as were many of the harsher comments. Frankly, I was fully expecting him to get completely bashed here but it was much tamer than expected given the rather outrageous comments that were made here and elsewhere.

one final point. I suspect that most folks that join here think that people are too harsh in their judgement about others hiking plans. I know I did. But hang around here a couple of years and you will soon see how many half baked plan folk get. My favorite still has to be " I met a guy in a bar and he told me about the AT. I've never hiked before but I'm quitting my job, getting rid of my stuff and hitting the trail." So if its harsh to tell someone they should get should experience or get in shape then fine. They can ignore it and join the 80% that don't finish.

Donde
04-17-2013, 20:46
Also it seems like there are often folks who come asking if something unrealistic or dangerous is good idea, and when a bunch of seasoned folks tell them it is not, they blast them all for naysaying. I don't know what this guy's deal was, but all that negativity could have been good advice.

slow mind
04-17-2013, 20:46
I agree 100% Elf. I didn't realize how civil this forum was b/c I have never been a part of other forum before this one. After observing other forums- Yeah, this one is tame. People, on here, are willing to make things right with each other. People have done that more than once. It's refreshing! :)

Yup.
The OP is just a reminder to continue improvement.

Rasty
04-17-2013, 20:47
Sometimes the answer is no you can't do it.

Tuckahoe
04-17-2013, 20:53

Good points Elf. Sometimes I think folks come to a forum like WB hoping that I folks are just going to rubber stamp their hopes and dreams. "I'm going to thru on 100 bucks." Or "I'm going to do a long section with my 4yo." And so on. They are thinking about what they want to do, not the reality and any comments or criticisms otherwise are from people just being judgemental.

I am always atleast entertained by the many opinions on here. Sometimes some posts cause me to consider something new and some I just roll my eyes and ignore.

Wise Old Owl
04-17-2013, 20:54
PM sent.. lets help our members....

Old Hiker
04-17-2013, 20:55
PM sent.. lets help our members....

Sent to who? What help do they need? I'm confused !!!!

Tuckahoe
04-17-2013, 20:55
WB is JUST an internet forum. i was a newbie once. i had no internet or books or videos to learn from.him BLAMING WB is friggin stupid. some folks should just stay on the couch

I have always admired your ability to cut through the BS and say so simply what I want to say.

HikerMom58
04-17-2013, 20:57
Yup.
The OP is just a reminder to continue improvement.

Ok SM... got it!! :D I'll keep trying!

Old Hiker
04-17-2013, 20:58
Can you post the other site, please? I'd be interested to read it for myself.

Wise Old Owl
04-17-2013, 21:07
The whole thing is awkward - my Pm is to Slowmind.. I broke all the rules and sent him my personal cell phone.. before we post further.. something I do for people that I admire and are grounded.

HikerMom58
04-17-2013, 21:12
The whole thing is awkward - my Pm is to Slowmind.. I broke all the rules and sent him my personal cell phone.. before we post further.. something I do for people that I admire and are grounded.

That's what I'm talkin about! :D

S'more
04-17-2013, 21:20
'zactly. Except if I slipped up and gave someone my number, unless I got their's and actually put it in my phone, I probably won't answer. I have a few of DNA (Do Not Answer) numbers.

Dogwood
04-17-2013, 21:30
I'm not familiar with what thread you are specking about Slow Mind. Perhaps you might give me the title to see what was said. With ALL DUE RESPECT TO YOU this is the internet and this is an open forum just as STE said. In the end YOU have to own what advice or opinions you choose to heed!

Bobby
04-17-2013, 21:31
I think 99% of whats posted here is helpful , personally.

Most new attempting thru hikers have :
1) no experience
2) out of shape
3) carrying too heavy loads

Not that much different.

Anyone is free to take, or ignore, any advice.

The friction between differences of opinion, is where real education is found.

Sounds like me on my first thru-hike and I lived and learned. A lot of people on here make hiking the AT out to be more complicated and dangerous than it really is most of the time. It's the East Coast and there are literally thousands of people on the trail, and often times one is only a stones throw away from services. the wilderness it is not - it 's a great place to laern and make mistakes before one heads out into the wilderness

HikerMom58
04-17-2013, 21:36
Welp, I think that there was something awkward going on between the two of ya'll, from a long while back. I thought it was cool that you guys were going to talk, that's all. That's all I thought was going on....

Dogwood
04-17-2013, 21:37
I'll jump in here and possibly put my foot in it but there ARE DEFINITELY folks over wt even obese and totally inexperienced who get on the AT and find a way to finish.

Marta
04-17-2013, 21:40
WOW...I'm not accusing you of behaving inappropriately. I just deleted your post because it was a response to the deleted one.

Alligator
04-17-2013, 21:56
I commend the sentiment expressed about being helpful, but folks, please do not drag drama from site to site like this. The quote is unattributed and was not posted here. Posts like the one quoted are only half the story and sometimes not even that. There's a vocal minority on the web and they do not speak for the silent majority. This cross-forum posting leads to trolling and other issues.

attroll
04-17-2013, 23:31
I will weigh in on this subject. It seems like when some people cancel or fail at their attempts they feel the need to have something to blame it on. In this persons case he chose to blame it on WB.

It sounds to me like this person would not take any constructive opinions on his gear, taking his kids or his weight. I guess it depends on how someone looks at it. Maybe WB did help him and did him a favor. If he is second guessing some of his original ideas and thoughts then he did take others ideas into consideration. But to blame his failure on WB is ridiculous.