PDA

View Full Version : Brown Fork Gap Shelter floor

danil411
04-17-2013, 21:01
I want to appreciate the full AT community while thru hiking so I have a shelter design question for White blaze community.
I stopped at this shelter the day before yesterday to get water. The floor at this shelter is unlike any other in my short thru hike experience.
The floor does not extend all the way from the back wall to the front floor support. Instead there is a moat of sorts separating the front foundation logs from the shelter floor. In a couple of spots planks provide for safe passage over the moat.
We could see a ladder stored under the shelter, so this design does seem to allow maintainers to leave tools...but is that its purpose?
I joked that it was a bear moat, but not likely a good one.

Loving the AT life!
Dimples

Maybe one day
04-17-2013, 21:05
I was in the area 2 years ago...it was like that then. I have never stayed at that shelter, but I could only imagine getting up in the middle of the night to relieve myself and breaking a leg from falling into the "moat"

daddytwosticks
04-18-2013, 07:21
Someone once told me the design keeps small animals out of the shelter? Didn't know if that was BS or not. Yes, it is unique down south here. :)

redseal
04-18-2013, 07:48
I have also heard that region is to keep small animals out such as porcupines. You will see that type of structure more in New England.

danil411
04-18-2013, 08:01
Thank you, Red seal.

SouthMark
04-18-2013, 08:15
I think the design is to keep porcupines from eating the ends of the floor boards. All of the shelters in Maine are built with this feature.

GoldenBear
07-12-2021, 11:56
As of 2021 July 7, the "moat" is still there, and I came close to falling into it when I wasn't paying attention.