PDA

View Full Version : Water status shelters in Roan Highlands

fellcat
04-18-2013, 07:46
Hi guys,

Planning a weekend trip to Roan Highlands area, just wondering if anyone has any beta on the water situation around those parts. We plan in going north from Carvers Gap.

Tennessee Viking
04-18-2013, 08:33
The gardens are not opening up till May but it should have plenty of water. I heard there was still some snow a couple weeks ago. And there has been plenty of rain. The only thing to worry about is its going to be crowded with a lot of thru-hikers and very windy.

There is a really good spring just after the split to Grassy Ridge. The Stan Murray source isn't consistent but should be flowing. Overmountain is always good. Then spring before the open area of Bradley Gap is good. Doll Flats is pretty good until the summer time.

fellcat
04-18-2013, 10:05
thank you very much for the info!

jeramie75
04-18-2013, 21:00
Was up there 4-14,15,16-2013. Erwin to 19E. Water was plentiful. Many small springs along the way. Excellent at Cherry Gap and Roan shelters.

Dogwood
04-18-2013, 22:53
Lately, it's been raining in the southern Appalachians Mts probably at least once a wk nearly every wk so water shouldn't be all that BIG a deal. Did you check the elev profile for your hiking section? Be nice to take in Cloudland if at all possible too.

The Cleaner
04-19-2013, 07:35
I was up there last year in June.Some thru hikers still coming thru+a ton of day hikers and section hikers.The parking lot at Carver's Gap was almost full.Reminded me of hiking in GSMNP.On the plus side several good campsites away from the shelters.Good campsite just south of the spring near Bradley Gap.....

littledragon
06-01-2013, 16:52
Jumping in on this one- same topic, different location. What are the water conditions between Winding Stair and NOC? Thanks for the help. littledragon

illabelle
06-01-2013, 18:01
Jumping in on this one- same topic, different location. What are the water conditions between Winding Stair and NOC? Thanks for the help. littledragon

We did this same section in mid-May. Water supply was good. We've had a lot of rain so far this year here in east TN. Now this past week the weather has turned hot and dry. Still, I would expect the water supply to be more than adequate.

littledragon
06-01-2013, 18:59
Thanks! for the quick reply and info, illabelle!