PDA

View Full Version : Trent's Grocery location?

Alleghanian Orogeny
04-18-2013, 14:07
Hikers,

Google shows Trent's Grocery to be at 900 Wilderness Rd, Bland, VA. Google Maps further denotes Wilderness Rd as Route 600 and spots it on the north/west side of the ridge upon which the AT runs, with VA state highway 42 running along the south/east side of that same ridge. Appears that the AT crosses Rt 600 in a gap in that ridge and that Trent's is about 1/2 to 3/4 mile away from the crossing, reached by going through the gap, along a good-sized creek.

Is that about right? I'm planning to be in that area by vehicle next weekend and it seems that I must stop at Trent's for lunch and to offer rides from or back to the AT while I'm there.

Any idea if they're open on Sunday morning?

AO

HikerMom58
04-18-2013, 14:21
I found this... hope it is helpful..

I'm not as familiar with that area of VA.

This link is better. :0)

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?46385-Va-606-Pkg-Trents-Grocery

Alleghanian Orogeny
04-18-2013, 14:53
Yep, looks like it's where I thought it'd be. I did a small mapping project in that vicinity for a class at Appalachian State about 100 years ago (actually more like 37, but who's counting). I recalled it being on the north side of that Clinch/Tuscorara ridge bisected by the creek and the AT crossing being in the same gap where the creek cut through the ridge. Those folks have been feeding we dirty hippies for a LONG time.

From that thread you linked, sounds like the Mennonite bakery a little bit up the road on 42 is worth a look, too.

I phoned Trent's just now and they confirm being open on Sundays--9:00 start time on the Sabbath.

Enjoy!

AO

flemdawg1
04-18-2013, 15:12
Its just a convenience store a half mile from a trail crossing. Back behind about 200 yds (north on the satelite view) is a bathouse, a few old campers and some picinc tables.
http://maps.google.com/maps?q=Trent's+Grocery,+VA&hl=en&ll=37.176082,-80.907735&spn=0.003556,0.004549&sll=32.576226,-86.680736&sspn=7.699289,9.316406&t=h&hq=Trent's+Grocery,&hnear=Virginia&z=18

HikerMom58
04-18-2013, 15:16
Yep, looks like it's where I thought it'd be. I did a small mapping project in that vicinity for a class at Appalachian State about 100 years ago (actually more like 37, but who's counting). I recalled it being on the north side of that Clinch/Tuscorara ridge bisected by the creek and the AT crossing being in the same gap where the creek cut through the ridge. Those folks have been feeding we dirty hippies for a LONG time.

From that thread you linked, sounds like the Mennonite bakery a little bit up the road on 42 is worth a look, too.

I phoned Trent's just now and they confirm being open on Sundays--9:00 start time on the Sabbath.

Enjoy!

AO

Glad I could help out... Have a great time out there! :)

Mountain Mike
04-18-2013, 17:23
Convience store with microwave food & deli stuff, beer, etc. Camping out back. Not the cleanest Bath/laundry house but water was hot.

Alleghanian Orogeny
04-18-2013, 19:26
All,

I'll be down at Stony Creek CG within the Jefferson NF, just west of I-77 and below Burke's Garden, for the weekend. Figured I'd amble on up to a notable AT spot while in the vicinity. Thanks for the help nailing down the spot.

AO

ratfaceraines
04-18-2013, 20:07
trents' grocery is on rt. 606(off 42).

kolokolo
04-20-2013, 13:15
Good cheeseburgers at Trent's. :sun

swjohnsey
04-20-2013, 13:20
Buffalo burgers! They have a good grill.

wornoutboots
04-20-2013, 15:26
Loved it last Fall! Convenient Location & Real Good Folks!

swjohnsey
04-20-2013, 21:39
Watch out for the dryer! It will shock the pee outa ya.

Kingbee
04-21-2013, 01:01
If don't want to camp out back of Trent's, just hike a few miles north on the AT to Dismal falls. Lots of spots around there.

Rain Man
04-21-2013, 21:49
Is that about right? I'm planning to be in that area by vehicle next weekend and it seems that I must stop at Trent's for lunch and to offer rides from or back to the AT while I'm there.

Any idea if they're open on Sunday morning?

Call them and ask.

I loved the cheeseburger I had at Trent's! :)

Rain:sunMan

wornoutboots
04-22-2013, 00:33
Call them and ask.

I loved the cheeseburger I had at Trent's! :)

Rain:sunMan

I 2nd that!!!

Alleghanian Orogeny
04-22-2013, 12:44
Yep, it occurred to me that I could call for current hours of operation. Trent's opens Sunday at 9:00am.

AO

Bronk
04-23-2013, 05:53
Its really not that far of a walk. By this stage of the game people have walked several hundred miles and can cover this distance in about 10 minutes. I'm sure if you happen to be in the right place at the right time people won't turn down a ride, but this isn't a place where I'd worry about getting a ride...if somebody said "The shuttle leaves in 1/2 an hour" I'd probably just walk and get there now. Trent's is one of those places everybody stops at because its convenient and practically right on the trail.

10-K
04-23-2013, 07:35
Good cheeseburgers at Trent's. :sun

It's one of those places that has good cheeseburgers if you're hiking. In the real world of food I'd rate them as poor to fair.

If you take your family there after your hike to have one of those "Great Trent grocery store hamburgers!!" they're going to think you've lost your mind.

flemdawg1
04-24-2013, 16:35
It's one of those places that has good cheeseburgers if you're hiking. In the real world of food I'd rate them as poor to fair.

If you take your family there after your hike to have one of those "Great Trent grocery store hamburgers!!" they're going to think you've lost your mind.

I guess you could call it Pizza Plus good.

flemdawg1
04-24-2013, 16:38
Its really not that far of a walk. By this stage of the game people have walked several hundred miles and can cover this distance in about 10 minutes. I'm sure if you happen to be in the right place at the right time people won't turn down a ride, but this isn't a place where I'd worry about getting a ride...if somebody said "The shuttle leaves in 1/2 an hour" I'd probably just walk and get there now. Trent's is one of those places everybody stops at because its convenient and practically right on the trail.

I picked up a pair of hikers after my section last fall there. It was the closest place to Bland that you could get a shower. They got in 20 seconds later, we're there. It literally took longer to get the packs inside than it did to drive.

wornoutboots
04-25-2013, 09:15

If you take your family there after your hike to have one of those "Great Trent grocery store hamburgers!!" they're going to think you've lost your mind.I guess we can add any fast food restaurant to this list :)

max patch
04-25-2013, 09:42

You mean that pizza I had at the Erwin Pizza Hut wasn't the best pizza I ever had? :)