PDA

View Full Version : Camping on 69 north of Wayah Gap (Southern NC)

FlyPaper
04-19-2013, 18:53
69 is a gravel road north of an old ranger station, which according to the guide books has a piped spring.
This is in southern NC. Can anyone tell me if there is space there for a group of about 7 to camp?

chiefiepoo
04-19-2013, 21:20
I was thru there last March. It was too soon to stop at Siler Bald shelter so I moved on a bit and camped trailside. The trail passes by a parking lot off of FS 69 mile 116.1 and there are a few small tent size sites just beyond. The parking lot seems to be a somewhat busy after-hours parking spot. I didn't bother to investigate. After the first few cars came and went, I fell asleep but I was concerned about a party starting up. About a half mile or so up the trail there is meadow mile 116.5 which is very open that might be a better size for a group of 7.

FlyPaper
04-19-2013, 22:46
Thanks.

(10 character minimum).

FlyPaper
04-20-2013, 09:19
I was thru there last March. It was too soon to stop at Siler Bald shelter so I moved on a bit and camped trailside. The trail passes by a parking lot off of FS 69 mile 116.1 and there are a few small tent size sites just beyond. The parking lot seems to be a somewhat busy after-hours parking spot. I didn't bother to investigate. After the first few cars came and went, I fell asleep but I was concerned about a party starting up. About a half mile or so up the trail there is meadow mile 116.5 which is very open that might be a better size for a group of 7.

I looked back over the various guide books. The maps I typically use don't have absolute mile distance from Springer. But I see these numbers in the 2012 "The AT Guide". The "skirting" of 69 is not mentioned in my other books, which is 116.1. What I'm really looking for is the camping situation at 117.4 which says "USFS 69, piped spring to east". Do you happen to recall whether or not that has adequate camping space?

daddytwosticks
04-20-2013, 14:01
I looked back over the various guide books. The maps I typically use don't have absolute mile distance from Springer. But I see these numbers in the 2012 "The AT Guide". The "skirting" of 69 is not mentioned in my other books, which is 116.1. What I'm really looking for is the camping situation at 117.4 which says "USFS 69, piped spring to east". Do you happen to recall whether or not that has adequate camping space? No. Can't camp there. You cross FS 69 and look right for the spring coming out on the side of the road. Continue north maybe 1/4 to 1/2 mile on the AT to the Wine Springs area. More water and places to camp. :)

FlyPaper
04-21-2013, 16:32
No. Can't camp there. You cross FS 69 and look right for the spring coming out on the side of the road. Continue north maybe 1/4 to 1/2 mile on the AT to the Wine Springs area. More water and places to camp. :)

Thanks for all the info.