PDA

View Full Version : Catawba Quick Stop

tiptoe
04-19-2013, 21:10
Does anyone have current info on this place? It may have a different name now, but I'm talking about the short-term supply close to the post office. Specifically, I'd like to know if it's still open, if it accepts maildrops, and if it offers camping in back of the store. A phone number would be nice, too. The one listed in the ATC pages has been disconnected.

Are there other overnight options in the area besides 4 Pines Hostel?

SOBO_Pace
04-19-2013, 21:16
It's just a little gas station not a good resupply. I had a box shipped there and would not stop there next time. I ended up zeroing at 4 pines hostel because the hitch was nonexistent.

tiptoe
04-19-2013, 21:22
Hmmm. So I'd be better off at 4 Pines? Maybe I'll give them a call.

HikerMom58
04-19-2013, 21:41
It's just a little gas station not a good resupply. I had a box shipped there and would not stop there next time. I ended up zeroing at 4 pines hostel because the hitch was nonexistent.
I agree ..the gas station is not a good resupply.

Hmmm. So I'd be better off at 4 Pines? Maybe I'll give them a call.
tiptoe...you could stay at my place if u want too. I'm about 20 minutes from 311. When will u be in the area?

SOBO_Pace
04-19-2013, 22:29
There is no resupply at 4 pines but there is another gas station Joe took me to get a beer and hot dogs. It would have your typical gas station resupply.

SOBO_Pace
04-19-2013, 22:31
You can have a box shipped there which would save you the hitch and the hostel is really close to the trail

jacob_springsteen
04-20-2013, 00:46
Does anyone have current info on this place? It may have a different name now, but I'm talking about the short-term supply close to the post office. Specifically, I'd like to know if it's still open, if it accepts maildrops, and if it offers camping in back of the store. A phone number would be nice, too. The one listed in the ATC pages has been disconnected.

Are there other overnight options in the area besides 4 Pines Hostel?

There is a grocery store south of Catwaba/Homeplace on Va. 624. I think it might have enough of a short term resupply to get you to Daleville. Why aren't you doing a resupply mail pick-up in Daleville, btw? Just curious. The section from Catawba to Daleville has the uphill climb to McAfee Knob but after that is an easy shot to Daleville past Tinker Cliffs IMHO.

ChuckBrown
04-20-2013, 08:44
I stopped here, try to hitch any where, and got no ride. Inside station I met a guy, who , for 35 dollars took me to daleville. There i met trail angel Del. He worked in catawba at the time. The next morning at 5am he took back to catawba and I slacked packed all the way back to daleville. It was awesome, and as previous post states , easy after the climb. Plenty of supply, restaurants and PO in daleville.

tiptoe
04-20-2013, 18:20
Thanks for all the help, folks. I'm visiting my grandkids until tomorrow, so can't respond in detail right now. First, I'm going southbound and do plan on resupply in Dalesville. Ideally, I'd like to get to Pearisburg (I'm starting at Rockfish Gap) but don't know how my ankle will do. This is my first backpacking attempt since breaking it in the Carter Range in 2011, so I'll be going slowly and carefully, especially at the start. HikerMomHD, you are a true angel, and thanks for the offer. I'll shoot you a pm early next week.

HikerMom58
04-20-2013, 19:13
Thanks for all the help, folks. I'm visiting my grandkids until tomorrow, so can't respond in detail right now. First, I'm going southbound and do plan on resupply in Dalesville. Ideally, I'd like to get to Pearisburg (I'm starting at Rockfish Gap) but don't know how my ankle will do. This is my first backpacking attempt since breaking in in the Carter Range in 2011, so I'll be going slowly and carefully, especially at the start. HikerMomHD, you are a true angel, and thanks for the offer. I'll shoot you a pm early next week.

Sounds great tiptoe. Anyway I can help you out while going through the area, I will do it! Shoot me a PM any time. :)