:-?is there a list of water crossings?

Concerned about section hike....springer to marion,va
(just want to be prepared)

max patch
04-20-2013, 09:18
Nothing you need to worry about.

Wise Old Owl
04-20-2013, 09:21
I am not aware of any list, same answer as MaxPatch.

Another Kevin
04-20-2013, 13:23
As I understand it, the only really sketchy fords are in Maine. Everything else has a bridge or can be rock-hopped or waded readily. Of course, there's always the possibility of an epic thunderstorm causing flash flooding, but in the worst case you can wait that out.

WingedMonkey
04-20-2013, 13:55

Under "normal" circumstances, the southern part of the AT you are concerned about has no major worry.

If however, there is a weather/rain event that does occur, what were normal rock hops and stream crossings and what were normal foot bridge or log crossings may offer surprises.

It will be local and it will be temporary.

I've gone through ten days and nights of rain in that section, it is not the same AT.

Your chances of experiencing that are low, but just be ready with knowledge and brain to figure it out. Know when to say no.

twilight
04-20-2013, 16:09
Henry, have you considered at trail guide yet? Maybe the "AT Guide" or "The Thru-Hiker's Companion". Both will list all water crossings, road crossings, trail crossings. They will help you with resupply information, hostels, shelter locations, and campsites, etc. I think both have profile maps in them now. Much, easier for information.

Twilight