PDA

View Full Version : Falls to springer explain trail please

henry g wilgo
04-20-2013, 08:40
:-?first hike,,may 19..
From the falls...........how do get to springer...?
Are traveling back down falls hike and then catching a blue blaze inorder to head for springer?
Thankyou in advance.:d

Malto
04-20-2013, 08:45
You take the approach trail(blue blaze) from the visitors center or falls up to Springer. There's nothing more to it, ask at the visitor center if its not clear.

max patch
04-20-2013, 09:14
The Hiker Hostel will either take you (your choice) to Amicalola Falls State Park where you hike the 8 mile blue blaze approach trail to Springer OR they will take to a parking lot 1 mile north of Springer where you hike southbound 1 mile to Springer and then turn around and hike north.

Train Wreck
04-20-2013, 12:25
The Hiker Hostel will either take you (your choice) to Amicalola Falls State Park where you hike the 8 mile blue blaze approach trail to Springer OR they will take to a parking lot 1 mile north of Springer where you hike southbound 1 mile to Springer and then turn around and hike north.

Henry,
Unless you have a compelling desire to start your hike with an 8 mile blue blazed trail that is not even part of the Appalachian Trail proper, I'd suggest taking the shuttle to the parking lot as recommended above. That's what we did when we sction hiked from Springer-Unicoi Gap. You just hike from the parking lot tracking back south to the official start point on Springer summit, not even quite a mile, and turn around and start heading north. You can do it an hour. It is a nice warm-up, and it's over with before you know it. The 8 mile blue blaze approach is a lot more strenuous, and then at the end of the day, you haven't even started the AT yet.

Dogwood
04-20-2013, 16:26
The 8.8 mile(some say 9 mile) Approach Trail from AF SP to Springer Mt goes right by the falls. It is mostly uphill though which makes sense since AF SP is about 1800 ft elev and Springer Mt is about 3800 ft elev. It is a Blue Blaze but, according to some folks, some of the BEST scenery on ALL the AT is on Blue Blazes! In all seriousness, if those 8.8 miles and elev. difference is going to be ALL THAT BIG A DIFFERENCE to a long section or AT thru-hike you are in SERIOUS TROUBLE from the start! WHY? It's my illusion you'll continue with that mindset as you hike by lopping off AT miles when the going gets tough AND IT WILL!

From the gravel Parking Lot on Forest Road 42(it's the closest road access to the AT southern terminus I know) it's .9 miles SOBO and a few 100 ft elev ascent to Springer Mt Shelter(about .1 mile SOBO past the Shelter is where you'll find the AT Southern Terminus and Springer Mt Bronze Plaques and Trail Logs in a stainless steel box built into the rock holding one of the plaques, just NOBO of the shelter is the BMT/AT junction and less than 300 yrs up the BMT you'll also find a Benton MacKaye Bronze Memorial Plaque, the person who had the original idea for the AT) which if you are headed NOBO on the the AT you will have to retrace making for a 1.8 mile out and back rehike!

OR, you could start lopping off trail miles from DAY ONE. See it regularly. Just be honest about it though if you decide to start lopping off trail miles! I've been there. That mentality can get the better of you IF YOU TRULY DESIRE TO THRU-HIKE or SECTION HIKE THE AT AND AND AND BE TRUTHFUL ABOUT WHAT YOU DID OR POSSIBLY DID NOT DO! Just sayin.:D Have a GREAT hike! Enjoy the JOURNEY!

Deadeye
04-20-2013, 17:23
If you're going to walk from Georgia to Maine, what difference does a few miles walked - or not walked - make. Not much to me. Personally, I'll take as many blue blazes as I can if it means avoiding crowds. YMMV.

Train Wreck
04-20-2013, 18:54
If you're going to walk from Georgia to Maine, what difference does a few miles walked - or not walked - make. Not much to me. Personally, I'll take as many blue blazes as I can if it means avoiding crowds. YMMV.

He's not. He's doing his first section hike ever on the AT, and it's his first time backpacking too.
Y'all stop beating me up just because I don't worship the sacred blue blazed approach trail :D :banana

Chair-man
04-20-2013, 19:20
I just don't know how someone who is attempting to hike the entire AT can skip the hike up Amicalola Falls. Amicalola Falls is the highest water falls east of the Mississippi River. Don't you want to see that? Besides, maybe someday when you tell your grandchildren you hike the entire AT they'll ask "so what was Amicalola Falls like I heard it was really pretty" you can say "I skipped it". Or maybe your bragging in a bar how you hike the whole trail and someone asked what Amicalola Falls was like you can say "I blew that off never saw it". Hike the falls, take some pictures, don't be wimp, what's one more hill anyway?

Train Wreck
04-20-2013, 21:19
I just don't know how someone who is attempting to hike the entire AT can skip the hike up Amicalola Falls. Amicalola Falls is the highest water falls east of the Mississippi River. Don't you want to see that? Besides, maybe someday when you tell your grandchildren you hike the entire AT they'll ask "so what was Amicalola Falls like I heard it was really pretty" you can say "I skipped it". Or maybe your bragging in a bar how you hike the whole trail and someone asked what Amicalola Falls was like you can say "I blew that off never saw it". Hike the falls, take some pictures, don't be wimp, what's one more hill anyway?

You folks crack me up! He's hiking from Springer to Marion, Va.
and I think he's probably got plenty of grandchildren already :)

aficion
04-20-2013, 21:41
You folks crack me up! He's hiking from Springer to Marion, Va.
and I think he's probably got plenty of grandchildren already :)

"Do what you like,
use your head." Blind Faith

If it were me, I'd get a shuttle to the AT for a section hike, and I'm only 57. The falls can be done anytime as a day hike. DWYL or as they say here on WB...............HYOH.

Astro
04-20-2013, 21:56
"Do what you like,
use your head." Blind Faith

If it were me, I'd get a shuttle to the AT for a section hike, and I'm only 57. The falls can be done anytime as a day hike. DWYL or as they say here on WB...............HYOH.

+1, the approach trail is NOT part of the AT. You are welcome to hike it if you like, but no one should give anyone grief if you don't. I was only 49 when I started and I skipped it. I am personally more focused on the 218x miles of the real AT. After I finish that, I will probably come back and do the approach trail. I agree HYOH.

Donde
04-21-2013, 02:27
+1, the approach trail is NOT part of the AT. .... the 218x miles of the real AT
Like the sections that are on sidewalk?

Hiking the trail from the Falls to the first white blaze is silly and unneeded, but quite a nice walk, just like the whole AT.

Coosa
04-21-2013, 07:23
Taking the Approach Trail to Springer is like hiking from Roaring Brook Campground [road access unlike back country Chimney Pond Campground] to get to Katahdin to start a SouthBound AT Hike.

WHO even suggests such a thing????

SoBos start South of Katahdin at The Birches or Katahdin Stream CG or Abol Bridge CG & hike up and back a lot more miles than the Nine-Tenths from Springer Parking lot and back.

Why create an Approach Trail Cult at Springer if you're not going to create one at Katahdin? I want to hear about ALL y'all hiking OVER Katahdin and down Chimney Pond Trail to Roaring Brook CG to finish your Thru Hikes from now on. AND I want to hear about how EVERY SoBo MUST hike from Roaring Brook CG to Katahdin in order for their Thru Hike to be OFFICIAL by ... your standards.

The APPROACH TRAIL is NOT and never was and more than likely will never be a part of the OFFICIAL Appalachian Trail. Neither will Chimney Pond Trail or the Hunt Trail or the Knife Edge Trail.

Give it a break would you please?

Thank you and have a great hike, Coosa

Coosa
04-21-2013, 07:23
Taking the Approach Trail to Springer is like hiking from Roaring Brook Campground [road access unlike back country Chimney Pond Campground] to get to Katahdin to start a SouthBound AT Hike.

WHO even suggests such a thing????

SoBos start South of Katahdin at The Birches or Katahdin Stream CG or Abol Bridge CG & hike up and back a lot more miles than the Nine-Tenths from Springer Parking lot and back.

Why create an Approach Trail Cult at Springer if you're not going to create one at Katahdin? I want to hear about ALL y'all hiking OVER Katahdin and down Chimney Pond Trail to Roaring Brook CG to finish your Thru Hikes from now on. AND I want to hear about how EVERY SoBo MUST hike from Roaring Brook CG to Katahdin in order for their Thru Hike to be OFFICIAL by ... your standards.

The APPROACH TRAIL is NOT and never was and more than likely will never be a part of the OFFICIAL Appalachian Trail. Neither will Chimney Pond Trail or the Hunt Trail or the Knife Edge Trail.

Give it a break would you please?

henry g wilgo
04-21-2013, 07:47
Ok....thanks for info guys...
Let me restate..my question....
What i would like to know is....from the (top of the amicalola falls) "how" do i get to the start of the springer mt. Trail__? __________________...................the descriptions i get from the guide books are not very clear***************** i do plan to hike the falls. It is there and i want to see it. I live just north of boston ....

And my next section planned hike is to start where i left off in .....marion,va and cover the state of virginia.

Malto
04-21-2013, 08:00
You take the AT approach trail (blue blazed) from the top of the falls to Springer. You really need to get one of the companion books, it has all the gory details of most of the questions that you are asking. This shouldn't be this hard to understand.

rickb
04-21-2013, 08:05

That made sense to me at the time. More poetic :- )

Not sure if this will help the OP. It's a map of Amicalola I just pulled off the web.

http://gastateparks.org/page.asp?itemid=5758&wrapid=1

Ladytrekker
04-21-2013, 08:47
[QUOTE=henry g wilgo;1462084]Ok....thanks for info guys...
Let me restate..my question....
What i would like to know is....from the (top of the amicalola falls) "how" do i get to the start of the springer mt. Trail__? __________________...................the descriptions i get from the guide books are not very clear***************** i do plan to hike the falls. It is there and i want to see it. I live just north of boston ....

Go to Amicalola Falls State Park to the visitor center and walk straight thru the office to the back that is the start of the blue blaze trail, there is a shelter there then you can walk thru the park up the approx. 600 stairs to the top of the falls (or you can do a small section of switchbacks that bypass the stairs to the top of the waterfall) and they are beautiful walk now that you are at the top of the falls go thru the upper parking lot (west) there is a blue blaze trail that takes you towards Springer Mountain I believe the sign also shows a direction to the Hike Inn. Hike 9 miles to Springer where there is another shelter near the summit. Have fun hope this helps.

Dogwood
04-21-2013, 10:20
I hear ya TrainWreck. Noted. The Approach Trail IS NOT a Must Do. It's just an option if you like waterfalls or for whatever reasons want to start a NOBO AT hike at AF SP. I think it's nice to start a AT NOBO hike by weighing your pack(there's a scale at the Visitor's Center), signing your name in the trail register with any comments noting what you are doing(also inside the Visitor's Center), going under the stone arch at AF SP, and experiencing the falls BUT THAT IS ME. EVERYONE MUST HYOH!

When the water is flowing nicely the falls are quite nice Henry. They are(can be) EXTREMELY SCENIC! If it has rained heavily just prior to your AT hike they can definitely be worth experiencing from a scenic perspective. The Approach Trail is MAINLY UPHILL though! The Approach Traill is just a continuation of the AT south. The Approach Trail is well blazed! HENRY, AF SP has a paper handout showing the trails, services, and features in the park. Amicalola is a Cherokee word meaning TUMBLING WATERS, which so aptly describes these falls. Depending on how far north you hike you may also want to see Crab Tree Falls in VA which is on another blue blazed side trail.

Whether you hike the Approach Trail or not just take it slowly and work your way into your hike! IT IS YOUR HIKE! Organize it the way you want! Lots of helpful folks associated with the AT. ENJOY YOUR JOURNEY!

The Old Chief
04-21-2013, 10:41

Tallest waterfalls east of the Mississippi:

http://traveltips.usatoday.com/tallest-waterfalls-east-mississippi-106213.html

Lyle
04-21-2013, 10:44
I hiked the Approach Trail and thoroughly enjoyed it. Met some good friends who I ended up hiking with for a week at the shelter. I enjoyed the steps and was amazed when I saw the stream that fed the falls. The trail itself was fine, easy hiking even though it was all uphill.

Plus, if you're a history buff, my understanding is that the Approach Trail is actually the old AT from when it's termination was Mt. Oglethorpe So if you want to connect with the pioneers, like Dorothy Laker, Elmer Onstadt, and the like, hike the approach - they did. :)

No question for me, the Approach Trail is my recommendation.

The Old Chief
04-21-2013, 11:12
Don't know much about Dorothy Laker or Elmer Onstadt but unless they've hiked the approach trail in the last 6 or 7 years they never went by the falls when they went thru the park. In 2006 the approach trail did not go by the falls. After going by the shelter it went up into the woods and came out on an unpaved service road near the top where the Inn is.

Lyle
04-21-2013, 11:57
We do have a very strong and vocal anti-approach trail contingent here on WB. Almost like they feel guilty and need to justify not hiking it.

Do whatever you like, I just like to hike, so there is no problem with a few extra "bonus" miles.

Good luck and have fun!!

Dogwood
04-21-2013, 12:38
I hiked the Approach Trail and thoroughly enjoyed it. Met some good friends who I ended up hiking with for a week at the shelter. I enjoyed the steps and was amazed when I saw the stream that fed the falls. The trail itself was fine, easy hiking even though it was all uphill.

Plus, if you're a history buff, my understanding is that the Approach Trail is actually the old AT from when it's termination was Mt. Oglethorpe So if you want to connect with the pioneers, like Dorothy Laker, Elmer Onstadt, and the like, hike the approach - they did. :)

No question for me, the Approach Trail is my recommendation.

Don't know much about Dorothy Laker or Elmer Onstadt but unless they've hiked the approach trail in the last 6 or 7 years they never went by the falls when they went thru the park. In 2006 the approach trail did not go by the falls. After going by the shelter it went up into the woods and came out on an unpaved service road near the top where the Inn is.

While it is OFTEN CORRECT that HEAVILY USED main trails DO NOT ALWAYS go DIRECTLY to scenic, environmentally sensitive, historic, etc sites IT DOES NOT MEAN BLUE BLAZES or short side trips ARE NOT WORTHY of visitation. They are OFTEN SO WORTHY OF EXPERIENCING, one of the chief reasons for NOT ROUTING MAIN HEAVILY USED TRAILS DIRECTLY to/by these types of places is to preserve them from over use. SO, IF YOU WANT TO EXPERIENCE some of these types of places IT IS SOMETIMES NECESSARY to get off the main trail! There are MANY of these types of places on the AT and MANY other trails including the Triple Crown Trails. Some of these other places on the AT are, as I said previously, Crabtree Falls in VA, but also Long Creek Falls, shortly NOBO after Springer MT, falls in Shenandoah NP, and Gulf Hagas in Maine but there are MANY MORE. There are actually quite a few waterfalls near or directly on the AT. I made a concerted effort to experience MANY of these falls on my 2006 AT thru-hike, especially when visiting just after a heavy rainfall. No doubt about it. FOR ME, these experiences DEFINITELY enriched my thru-hike! It's my guess, even if the older AT route(s) to Mt Oglethorpe didn't go DIRECTLY by Amicalola Falls, those routes were PROBABLY VERY CLOSE to Amicalola Falls. C'mon! Amicalola Falls is probably the MAIN ATTRACTION in WHY this area is a State Park! Amicalola Falls IS SIGNIFICANT ENOUGH that it warrants to be included in a STATE PARK! DO NOT LOSE SIGHT OF THAT when hiking the AT in this area!

MuddyWaters
04-21-2013, 13:30
To listen to some people, It seems their attitude is that nothing is worth hiking if it isnt part of the official AT.

Thats laughable, because so much of the AT is bland, boring, hiking in the trees at best
You will find more wild, interesting, and scenic hikes, many other places besides the AT

If you are hiking just to say "I hiked X miles of the AT", you are hiking for the wrong reasons

Why these people poo-poo the approach trail, is a mystery. I have to agree that perhaps, they are defensive because they chose not to hike it.
It was part of the original AT that ran to Mt. Oglethorpe.

There is no permanent "official" AT. It changes with reroutes frequently. As trail sections erode, trail is rerouted to permit it to recover.

As most also know,neither terminus are the endpoints of the Appalachian mountains as well. They are simply somewhat arbitrary stopping points. The Appalachians extend to near Weogufga Al, via the Pinhoti trail on the southern end as well.

HYOH, and let others hike theirs.

rickb
04-21-2013, 14:10
It will be 30 years come December, but I recall waiting at a road at the top of the falls for my parents to pick me up after 4.5 months in the woods.

They were at the bottom, however.

As such, I thought the OP was simply asking where one picks up the Approach Trail once you are at the falls. With my experience I thought that to be a smart question-- the answer being either at the visitor center down the hill or at the parking area near farther up. In other words, there would be no reason to descend to the Visitor Center to start the approach trail form its very beginning if you were at the top. But my memory fades.

That said, I do remember enough to say that the falls is hardly one of the seven wonders of the natural world. From my perspective of 30 years, it was nice enough, but not one of those images that I hold dear. Certainly nothing more special than spending the time one might have trudged along it, to slow down and watch the sunset or rise over some random part of the AT north of Springer. Or to put it another way, it no Knife Edge at Katahdin at the other end of the Trail (which a great many thru hikers seem ignore, a real pitty).

One isn't going to regret anything if they blow off the approach trail, I think.

Malto
04-21-2013, 14:41
That said, I do remember enough to say that the falls is hardly one of the seven wonders of the natural world.

It may not be one of the seven wonders of the natural world but I saw one site refer to it as one of the seven natural wonders of Georgia. A step down from seven wonders of the world but nice at any rate.

BobTheBuilder
04-21-2013, 15:06
It's not hard to find the trail at the top of the falls. It is right where you think it should be, and there are trail signs showing the direction and distance to Springer. No worries.

The Old Chief
04-21-2013, 15:26
Now let me see; 2001, started on FS42, 2002, started on Approach Trail, 2003, started onFS42, 2004, started on FS42, 2006 started on Approach Trail, 2011, started onApproach Trail. I think I must beequally split on whether to do the Approach Trail or not. I’ve only hiked the approach trail once sincethe falls and its 604 steps became part of the trail and I walked every one ofthem. In 2006 my hiking partner and Idid take the 50 yard detour to see the view from the top of the falls. Unless things change dramatically, you don’treally have to hike to see Amicalola Falls. A short walk from your vehicle from three different parking lots will rewardyou with three different views of the falls. Anyone who wants to see the falls may do so without the added burden ofhiking the entire 8.8 miles of the approach trail. I expect the vast majority of visitors toAmicalola State Park don’t care that there is an approach trail there thatleads to the AT. It is also possible,as many people do, to go to the Visitor’s Center, sign in, visit the falls, andthen be driven up to Big Stamp Gap to start the AT. By the way, if the mantra is HYOH, why can’tI hike the AT just to say “I’ve hiked X miles on the AT.”
HYOH and let others hike theirs sounds likepretty good advice to me!!

Coosa
04-21-2013, 15:58
To listen to some people, It seems their attitude is that nothing is worth hiking if it isnt part of the official AT.

Thats laughable, because so much of the AT is bland, boring, hiking in the trees at best
You will find more wild, interesting, and scenic hikes, many other places besides the AT

If you are hiking just to say "I hiked X miles of the AT", you are hiking for the wrong reasons

Why these people poo-poo the approach trail, is a mystery. I have to agree that perhaps, they are defensive because they chose not to hike it.

There is no permanent "official" AT. It changes with reroutes frequently. As trail sections erode, trail is rerouted to permit it to recover.

As most also know,neither terminus are the endpoints of the Appalachian mountains as well. They are simply somewhat arbitrary stopping points. The Appalachians extend to near Weogufga Al, via the Pinhoti trail on the southern end as well.

HYOH ... I've hiked the Approach Trail over a dozen times when living in Alabama and North Georgia. And I've sectioned all of GA & some sections numerous times as a Trail Maintainer & Trail Angel.

Is my way the "right" way ??

NO

And neither is anyone else's

You decide & you accept responsibility for your hike ... Don't blame Coosa or Muddy Waters ...

If you hike the Approach Trail & that ends your hiking experience as it has approximately 20% or more of the Thru Hikers who "attempted" it ... I won't be celebrating ... If you hike it and make it to Katahdin I'll be applauding along side Muddy Waters & the others who encouraged you to Hike Your Own Hike!

~~~Muddy Waters~~~
Research your claim about the Approach Trail being a part of the "original" AT from Mt Oglethorpe to Springer ...
http://ngeorgia.com/ang/Amicalola_Falls_State_Park

Someone is sure to have an old Topo!

~~~ HYOH ~~~
Don't let any of us make your decisions for you ... and as with all your decisions ... accept responsibility no matter what the outcome.

Again I say ... The Vast Majority of SoBo Thru Hikers end at Springer and walk back North to the Parking Lot at FS 42 where their shuttle awaits. Just like the Vast Majority of NoBos hike to Katahdin and back to Katahdin Stream Campground to be shuttled home.

~~~HYOH~~~

Coosa

aficion
04-21-2013, 16:03
More ado about nothing. Either way is fine. The trail is very easy to find and follow either way. Have fun!

FatMan
04-21-2013, 16:09
The APPROACH TRAIL is NOT and never was and more than likely will never be a part of the OFFICIAL Appalachian Trail.This statement is incorrect. The Approach Trail was part of the AT until 1958 when the Southern Terminus was moved from Mt Oglethorpe to Springer Mtn.

Dogwood
04-21-2013, 17:06
Now let me see; 2001, started on FS42, 2002, started on Approach Trail, 2003, started onFS42, 2004, started on FS42, 2006 started on Approach Trail, 2011, started onApproach Trail. I think I must beequally split on whether to do the Approach Trail or not. I’ve only hiked the approach trail once sincethe falls and its 604 steps became part of the trail and I walked every one ofthem. In 2006 my hiking partner and Idid take the 50 yard detour to see the view from the top of the falls. Unless things change dramatically, you don’treally have to hike to see Amicalola Falls. A short walk from your vehicle from three different parking lots will rewardyou with three different views of the falls. Anyone who wants to see the falls may do so without the added burden ofhiking the entire 8.8 miles of the approach trail. I expect the vast majority of visitors toAmicalola State Park don’t care that there is an approach trail there thatleads to the AT. It is also possible,as many people do, to go to the Visitor’s Center, sign in, visit the falls, andthen be driven up to Big Stamp Gap to start the AT. By the way, if the mantra is HYOH, why can’tI hike the AT just to say “I’ve hiked X miles on the AT.”
HYOH and let others hike theirs sounds likepretty good advice to me!!

ABSOLUTELY! If you have access to a vehicle this is CERTAINLY possible. HOWEVER, it's my best guess some(MANY?) of those doing long AT section hikes or thru-hikes aren't in the position to first take in Amicalola Falls by car and then be driven to near Springer Mt off FS 42 to avoid also hiking the entire 8.8 miles of the Approach Trail. No right way or wrong way to start an AT hike just your own way. Amicalola Falls are a worthy experience FOR SOME though!

Dogwood
04-21-2013, 17:15
This statement is incorrect. The Approach Trail was part of the AT until 1958 when the Southern Terminus was moved from Mt Oglethorpe to Springer Mtn.

I don't have the old route(s)/maps to Mt Oglethorpe in front of me but this was what I too learned from those who know a whole lot more about the longer older route(s) to Mt Oglethorpe - the Approach Trail, used to be part of the, dare I say, "official" AT. When the AT corridor started changing in character to something that didn't meet the goals and parameters for the AT or the land accusations or protective AT corridor was ESSENTIALLY UNFEASIBLE to maintain some miles were chopped off the last few southern miles of the AT. Can you say human sprawl? It's a TOUGH ASSIGNMENT protecting the AT corridor!

Coosa
04-21-2013, 18:17
This statement is incorrect. The Approach Trail was part of the AT until 1958 when the Southern Terminus was moved from Mt Oglethorpe to Springer Mtn.

Documentation

???

Coosa

rickb
04-21-2013, 18:20
Documentation

???

Coosa

Post 23 and other in this thread have what you are looking for:

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?68967-Mount-Oglethorpe-to-Springer-Mtn

Coosa
04-21-2013, 18:27
I don't have the old route(s)/maps to Mt Oglethorpe in front of me but this was what I too learned from those who know a whole lot more about the longer older route(s) to Mt Oglethorpe - the Approach Trail, used to be part of the, dare I say, "official" AT. When the AT corridor started changing in character to something that didn't meet the goals and parameters for the AT or the land accusations or protective AT corridor was ESSENTIALLY UNFEASIBLE to maintain some miles were chopped off the last few southern miles of the AT. Can you say human sprawl? It's a TOUGH ASSIGNMENT protecting the AT corridor!

Show me an old Topo ... From what I've read of Pickens County Trails ... Most of the Old AT is now buried under Roads & the Old AT did not go parallel to the Falls.

Someone at the AT Museum may have old Maps.

I know I gave them old PA maps that document that the Trail paralleled streams & rivers & was not a ridge Trail back in the day.

~~~~~
It's a moot point ... Trust but Verify ...

The AT is a Living Growing & Contracting Entity with a life of her own. She's grown something like 45 plus miles since I started hiking.

Coosa

Coosa
04-21-2013, 18:32
Post 23 and other in this thread have what you are looking for:

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?68967-Mount-Oglethorpe-to-Springer-Mtn

Yup ... Roads cover a lot of the "Old" AT. Or houses. Or yards. Or gated communities.

When I get the chance I'll ask about an old Topo at the ATC Museum.

Coosa

The Old Chief
04-21-2013, 19:15
Show me an old Topo ... From what I've read of Pickens County Trails ... Most of the Old AT is now buried under Roads & the Old AT did not go parallel to the Falls.

Someone at the AT Museum may have old Maps.

I know I gave them old PA maps that document that the Trail paralleled streams & rivers & was not a ridge Trail back in the day.

~~~~~
It's a moot point ... Trust but Verify ...

The AT is a Living Growing & Contracting Entity with a life of her own. She's grown something like 45 plus miles since I started hiking.

Coosa

I could very easily be wrong but the old topo maps I've seen on other postings on Whiteblaze show that the Old AT did not go anywhere but near the top of the Falls and did not go near the current Visitor's Center. Is this your belief also?

max patch
04-21-2013, 20:51
The APPROACH TRAIL is NOT and never was and more than likely will never be a part of the OFFICIAL Appalachian Trail.

It most certainly was. The Approach Trail was part of the white-blazed AT until 1958 when the southern terminus was moved from Ogelthorpe to Springer.

Coosa
04-21-2013, 22:22
I could very easily be wrong but the old topo maps I've seen on other postings on Whiteblaze show that the Old AT did not go anywhere but near the top of the Falls and did not go near the current Visitor's Center. Is this your belief also?

Anyone got a copy of "Old Crazy's" Book "Walking with Spring" handy? What does he say?

And You are a Winner ...

The state purchased the falls in 1911. Amicalola Falls State Park was not developed at all until the Georgia Appalachian Trail Club decided that the nearby Springer Mountain would be where they would move the southern terminus of the Appalachian Trail from Mount Oglethorpe in 1958. An 8.5-mile (13.7 km) long trail was blazed from the base of Amicalola Falls to the top of Springer Mountain so that Appalachian Trail hikers would be able to access the trail from a major highway. wiki/Amicalola_Falls_State_Park (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amicalola_Falls_State_Park)

The Approach Trail didn't exist when the AT was originally mapped out.

Just make your decision on your own and don't allow ANYONE, me or ANYONE else decide what YOU want to do.

If you're ASKING ... you're not sure ... educate yourself so that you're sure.

All you need to do is hike ... the rest of it will come to you on the Trail.

Coosa

Coosa
04-21-2013, 22:24
It most certainly was. The Approach Trail was part of the white-blazed AT until 1958 when the southern terminus was moved from Ogelthorpe to Springer.

Read this .... Wiki History of Amicalola Falls State Park (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amicalola_Falls_State_Park)
The state purchased the falls in 1911. Amicalola Falls State Park was not developed at all until the Georgia Appalachian Trail Club decided that the nearby Springer Mountain would be where they would move the southern terminus of the Appalachian Trail from Mount Oglethorpe in 1958. An 8.5-mile (13.7 km) long trail was blazed from the base of Amicalola Falls to the top of Springer Mountain so that Appalachian Trail hikers would be able to access the trail from a major highway.

MuddyWaters
04-21-2013, 22:25
Documentation

???

Coosa

Amicalola was a state park starting in 1940.

"In 1940 John Crane sold his property to the state. When Amicalola Falls State Park entered the Georgia park system later that year it had 407 acres and the falls became the centerpiece and namesake of the park. "

Some parts were probably on roads, and they likely cut new trail to alleviate that, as well as provide a path from the new facilities.

From "The Crazy One" 's book:

A while later, the trail passed Amicalola falls, one of the highest east of the Rockies, totaling more than five hundred feet of cascades and a sheer drop of more than a hundred feet. The falls can be heard at least a mile away. I tried to crawl down to get a picture but thickets of rhododendron drenched with spray were too discouraging. A state park is located below and the approach is easier there. The trail from the falls to Springer Mountain is now an approach trail. The trail south of the falls, has been abandoned.

Coosa
04-21-2013, 23:02

Compare that map to the current maps ... the 'original' trail does NOT climb from the Visitor's Center to Frosty Mountain ... the Route is not entirely the same.

Whale, Doggggone, we're both half right. Or we're both half wrong.

Just hike what you want to hike and don't worry about it.

I lived in Georgia for 20 years and during that time I heard of [and in some cases met and offered solace to] hundreds of hikers who "attempted" a Thru Hike by hiking up from the Visitor's Center to Springer, only to "terminate" their hiking career because they were unprepared for the difficulty of the Approach Trail. It's NOT an easy hike unless you're fairly fit.

However, from the FS 42 Parking Lot to Springer and back and onward to at least Hawk Mountain Shelter is a good hike that can build enough character in many people and help them get over Sassafras and Justus Mountains and up to Woody Gap and then over Blood Mountain ... NoBo at least to Blood is doable if the pack weight is low and the new hiker relaxes and takes it easy ... and yes, if the weather cooperates. The hike down Blood can be daunting ... in the fog or snow that LEFT turn to the Trail instead of Straight ahead to the cliff can be disconcerting ... but I digress here ...

If a hiker can stick with the Trail to Neel Gap and not be in any major distress [weather, physical, etc], there's a fairly good chance the hiker will continue ... other things may take the hiker off the Trail ... but the Trail should not punish the hiker for wanting to hike.

I'm from the "old school" that believes an Appalachian Trail hike is not supposed to be so difficult that it destroys a person's enjoyment of hiking.

The Trail did that to me in 2009 ... it won't do it to me this year ... or next. I'm older, wiser, lighter and have had my cortisone shots ... :D

And next year, I am not hiking the Approach Trail nor am I hiking over Katahdin and down the other side. [Unless I decide to hike the IAT, YMMV]

HYOH ... enjoy the trail ... that's what it's there for, right?

Coosa

The Ace
04-21-2013, 23:14

MuddyWaters: Thank-you for your well-written post. I don’t know why I bother reading through these recurring threads on the Approach Trail; I suppose it is because it just amazes me how one can denigrate a walkable path through a portion of the Southern Appalachians based on what it is named. I have walked all over the Southern Appalachians, and much of AT is just like much of the other, and numerous, Southern trails -- some of the AT is unique and historical, but many of the other trails have sections that are unique and historical, also. Sleeping on some grass at a spot quaintly named the Cheese Factory gave me no more of a thrill than sleeping in the unnamed grass in the Black Balsams. Nevertheless, every time somebody posts a thread that references the Approach Trail, out of the electronic woodwork come the know-it-alls – even turning a simple question from a 70 year-old Original Poster into a display of snootiness.

For some, walking from Forest Service Road 42 to the top of an average Southern peak with a very limited view, in order to stare down at a bronze plaque and ogle over a stainless steel box stuck in the side of a rock containing a notebook with some handwritten words of wisdom like “I gotta pee”, then turning around and walking back to where one started at FS 42, gives great meaning to life and makes one feel superior to a person who chooses to walk up the steps next to and crossing over a 700 foot waterfall. On the other hand, typing this stuff on my laptop makes me feel neither inferior nor superior; it just makes me realize how we waste our times in a fictitious world of mental jockeying for class and position.

Donde
04-22-2013, 06:47
The APPROACH TRAIL is NOT and never was and more than likely will never be a part of the OFFICIAL Appalachian Trail

I think it was back when the southern end was at Mt. Olglethore? In general I agree do it from Amicola don't whatever, but a cult of the OFFICAL AT is just as silly as a cult of the trail from Amicola, just go for a damn hike already, and quit worrying what it will labeled and what cute name you will claim later.

Ladytrekker
04-22-2013, 08:37
http://www.summitpost.org/mount-oglethorpe/620888 some info about original terminus

max patch
04-22-2013, 09:54
Wow..this question was answered totally by post 3.

Capt Nat
04-22-2013, 10:43
Someone needs to take this to the Supreme Court and get it settled....lol

Train Wreck
04-22-2013, 11:38
Someone needs to take this to the Supreme Court and get it settled....lol

You can't due to separation of church and state!(Approach Trail cult, True AT cult)

max patch
04-22-2013, 12:28
Mod, please move this thread to the cafe. :)

henry g wilgo
04-22-2013, 17:54
[QOTE=Malto;1462088]You take the AT approach trail (blue blazed) from the top of the falls to Springer. You really need to get one of the companion books, it has all the gory details of most of the questions that you are asking. This shouldn't be this hard to understand.[/QUOTE]

COMPANION BOOKS WERE NOT CLEAR...REASON I AM ASKING.. IT'S NOT HARD TO RIDE A BIKE AFTER YOU'VE LEARN HOW EITHER..

henry g wilgo
04-23-2013, 07:12
it's not hard to find the trail at the top of the falls. It is right where you think it should be, and there are trail signs showing the direction and distance to springer. No worries.

thanks for that....good clarification i will do the falls***i am hiking for the enjoyment....not just for miles***