PDA

View Full Version : Snickers and the heat

Chris10
04-21-2013, 10:23
It seems snickers are the candy of choice for a lot of folks, but how do they hold up in the heat of June and July? Do they just turn into a mass of melted mess?

DeerPath
04-21-2013, 10:59
It seems snickers are the candy of choice for a lot of folks, but how do they hold up in the heat of June and July? Do they just turn into a mass of melted mess?

A GOOD mass of melted mess!!!

aficion
04-21-2013, 11:26

You do like you do with brew. By a twelve pack, consume six, and put the other six in the cooler for later.

redseal
04-21-2013, 11:58
Snickers can get messy. Keep them near your water bladder inside your pack to help a little. For me though, I tend to skip Snickers in the summer and go with something else a little more tolerable to heat.

Feral Bill
04-21-2013, 12:45
Switch to M and Ms. A decent second choice.

double d
04-21-2013, 13:51
What I've done in the past during the summer heat is to place them for a few minutes when I cross a water source (which are usually much cooler then the air temps), that always seem to help and then at the end of the day's hike, I'll put them back into a water source near the trail for again a few minutes, it always seems to keep them somewhat less messy. But......its a good problem to have, just ask Mags!!!

Dogwood
04-21-2013, 14:09

You could look at it this way - SNICKERS AND the HEAT - AND DRIED MILK AND COOL SPRING WATER MAKE ONE HECK OF A TASTY SHAKE!

Dogwood
04-21-2013, 14:11
Switch to M and Ms. A decent second choice.

Always do enjoy some red, yellow, blue, green twirled into the chocolate flavored sugar mix!:D

daddytwosticks
04-21-2013, 15:49
M&M's are my choice too. The plain ones go into my GORP. The peanut one just get eaten very quickly. :)

springerfever
04-21-2013, 16:01
If you are looking for some serious chocolate that will not melt easily, go for a Bakers semi-sweet block in the baking section of Publix/Kroger. Pre-scored to break off in bite size chunks. Awesome stuff !

4Bears
04-21-2013, 22:10
In hot weather I will use Payday candy bars, or make my own "Payday" mix using peanuts and candy corn. When it is hot I eat chocolate right away rather than waiting for it to become a melted mass.

Bronk
04-22-2013, 03:33
I'm really liking the M & M "Sweet and Salty" mix they are selling at Walmart right now. It contains peanut M & M's, almonds, nickel sized shortbread cookies and mini pretzels. And they aren't skimpy with the M & M's...there are more of them than anything else.

Donde
04-22-2013, 06:41
mass of melted mess of AWESOME!

Sevsa
04-22-2013, 16:29
Maybe they should bring back the Tropical Hershey Bar, that is if they could actually get it to taste better.

zelph
04-22-2013, 16:33

They do just fine. Open one end and squeeze into mouth when at the melted mass stage.

kolokolo
04-24-2013, 18:26
It seems snickers are the candy of choice for a lot of folks, but how do they hold up in the heat of June and July? Do they just turn into a mass of melted mess?They do get messy in the heat, but it's still worth it. And if you wait until temps drop in the evening or overnight, they harden up just fine

moytoy
04-24-2013, 19:20
They do get messy in the heat, but it's still worth it. And if you wait until temps drop in the evening or overnight, they harden up just fine
That would require some patience of which a hungry hiker has little.:)

Rasty
04-24-2013, 20:18
Tootsie rolls were developed for high temperatures.

atraildreamer
04-25-2013, 10:49
They do just fine. Open one end and squeeze into mouth when at the melted mass stage.

I eat the wrapper, too...it is a good source of fiber! :eek: :D:banana

3_dogs
04-25-2013, 11:49

I took Tootsie Rolls to Haiti. They didn't melt in the heat.

Fog Horn
04-25-2013, 13:21
In hot weather I will use Payday candy bars, or make my own "Payday" mix using peanuts and candy corn. When it is hot I eat chocolate right away rather than waiting for it to become a melted mass.

I think you just changed my life, 4Bears. I LOVE candy corn!

Rasty
04-25-2013, 13:41

I think you just changed my life, 4Bears. I LOVE candy corn!

Love candy corn also. Not a fan of the candy pumpkins.

DaveSail
04-25-2013, 13:56
At Trader Joe's they have 3 - Packs of Belgian Dark Chocolate . 1 3/4 oz. each .
Not expensive . Very good tasting . Resist heat pretty well . DVW

Fog Horn
04-25-2013, 14:01
Love candy corn also. Not a fan of the candy pumpkins.

Yeah, I'm not even sure why they make those. Or the chocolate candy corns... just put the normal bags of candy corn on sale, and I'm a happy gal :)

DaveSail
04-25-2013, 15:53
Also , " BAKER'S German Sweet " is a good Chocolate Bar for Hking . DVW

rocketsocks
04-25-2013, 17:51
Switch to M and Ms. A decent second choice.This is my hot weather go to fuel too, along with more peanuts, and raisins, and sweetened shredded coconut. Placed in a wide mouth gator-aid bottle and dispensed right into the pie hole, it keeps the fingers from getting schsticky...

Violent Green
04-25-2013, 19:05
Tastes pretty close to the real thing & resists the heat much better. 250 calories too.

http://www.snickers.com/Product/Dark

Ryan

RED-DOG
04-25-2013, 19:15
I prefer Starburst in the heat of summer.

RED-DOG
04-25-2013, 19:19
And also Gummy Bears.

SawnieRobertson
04-26-2013, 17:01
In the July heat in Massachusetts, M&Ms melted in my pack. It was, of course, heartbreaking, but there they were, a glob of messiness. False advertising. Try Doritos.

illabelle
04-26-2013, 18:43

Snickers are very good. But Tootsie rolls are very very good!

Carry-On
04-26-2013, 19:43
Pretzel M&Ms are just fantastic! I love them so much.

If you want a great summery snack that won't melt (but will freeze and threaten your teeth in the cold), mix together Sour Patch Kids with Skittles. Seriously, this was my favorite snack while thruhiking. Only thing is the Sour Patch Kids can do a number inside your mouth if you eat too many at once. The Skittles helps with that.

Nytro
04-30-2013, 21:36
I eat zone bars frequently once heat and sun gets to them they mold into pretty much anything thing thats squishing them. Keep the snickers in a cool dark place like a back pack but if its way to hot out you can always toss it in one of those klean kanteen thermal canisters that might work great with an ice cube.

mxracer33x
05-09-2013, 12:23
I eat zone bars frequently once heat and sun gets to them they mold into pretty much anything thing thats squishing them. Keep the snickers in a cool dark place like a back pack but if its way to hot out you can always toss it in one of those klean kanteen thermal canisters that might work great with an ice cube. A WHAT? lol. Thats a Luxury most wont see until a trail town or unless on a very short hike. I pack 2 snickers a day. They get melted. I carry them in my side pouch near the water bottle, this is usually good for the first one, but the afternoon bar is nutty GU. I will toss it in a cool creek for 10-15 if I have the break time and it will firm up very nice. I was introduced to Nutella and Flour tortillas a couple years ago. Pure love! 100 calories per tablespoon. I use about 1.5 Tbsp per 10" tortilla, this gets you about 270 calories total. Tortillas pack well and last a while too.

FarmerChef
05-09-2013, 14:08
Yeah, when I can I pack my platy with cool spring water and put the snickers next to it deep inside my pack. I must eat it before lunch though or it's still a gonner by the afternoon.

For me, M&Ms in my gorp are great and I've never had any reduce to mush due to the heat.

Payday is a good alternative though it lacks the chocolate. You can make them with honey if you cook the honey to soft crack and pour it over the peanuts. Stir and press together to form into "bars." Dip in peanut butter at snacktime. Yum!

QiWiz
05-10-2013, 14:24

Usually, when deep inside my pack in my main food bag, they will stay OK. I have one everyday on trail, and I carry this and other food for the day's hiking in a ziplock in an outside pocket of the pack. I have learned that the Snickers needs to always be my first snack of the day when its hot. If not, I might be licking off its wrapper.