PDA

View Full Version : Need input in final tent & sleeping bag decisions!

summitsandskies
04-21-2013, 14:39
Hey y'all! I'm doing a flip-flop thru starting the first week of June (NOBO Harpers Ferry-Katahdin/SOBO Harpers Ferry-Springer) and I'm trying to finalize my sleeping gear decisions. I'm a college student on a budget, so I'm trying to get the best quality I can afford on my budget. Also planning to tent about 1/2-2/3 of the time and sleep in the shelters the rest of the time. Here's what I'm considering:

TENTS
-Sierra Designs Lightyear 1 ($149-189, 2 lb 11 oz)
-Lightheart Solo ($245, 1 lb 11 oz)
-Tarptent Moment DW ($269, 2 lb 2 oz)
-MSR Hubba ($279, 2 lb 13 oz)

SLEEPING BAGS/QUILTS
-ULA 20 degree down sleeping bag ($185, 2 lb 9.5 oz)
-EnLIGHTened Equipment RelevationX 20 degree (~$210, ~2 lb 5 oz)

If anyone has another suggestions, my budget is in the $250 range for the tent and in the $200 range for the a sleeping bag/quilt, and I'd like both for be under 3 lbs.

For people who have experience with these products, how do they compare for quality standing up on the trail and what is your input? Thanks. :)

macdaddy
04-21-2013, 15:05
Bag-Mountain Hardware Down Flip, 1lb-13oz, shopped Moosejaw pricematched it for 136.95
Tent-Big Agnes Scout 2, 1lb-10oz, paid the Moosejaw list 279.95 plus the footprint 59.95. Foot print stays in an outside pocket of my pack with a rope in case I need a place to get out of the rain quickly. Total weight 3lbs-10 oz.

bigcranky
04-21-2013, 15:18
Tent: if I were buying a new solo tent I would get the Notch from Tarptent. It's a little cheaper than the Moment and a lot lighter (but only if you use trekking poles.) I have an original Moment and like it, but the Notch has two doors, two vestibules, and saves the weight of the pole.

Bag: I'd probably get the bag for shelter sleeping. The quilt is nicer but I'd rather not use a quilt in a shelter.

summitsandskies
04-21-2013, 16:19
Bag-Mountain Hardware Down Flip, 1lb-13oz, shopped Moosejaw pricematched it for 136.95
Tent-Big Agnes Scout 2, 1lb-10oz, paid the Moosejaw list 279.95 plus the footprint 59.95. Foot print stays in an outside pocket of my pack with a rope in case I need a place to get out of the rain quickly. Total weight 3lbs-10 oz.

Thanks for the tip on the bag! I've used a synthetic Mountain Hardware bag before on a backpacking trip in Oregon and it was wonderful! Didn't think I would be able to find any of their down bags for that price after what I saw when looking around, but I will definitely check out the Flip and see what I can find!!

summitsandskies
04-21-2013, 16:31
Tent: if I were buying a new solo tent I would get the Notch from Tarptent. It's a little cheaper than the Moment and a lot lighter (but only if you use trekking poles.) I have an original Moment and like it, but the Notch has two doors, two vestibules, and saves the weight of the pole.

Bag: I'd probably get the bag for shelter sleeping. The quilt is nicer but I'd rather not use a quilt in a shelter.

Yes, the Notch was the other TT model I was considering. I was planning on using poles in the northern half but probably not on the southern half. However, I did see there were optional 4 oz poles for the Notch, so perhaps I could get them but only use them on second half (or I might get used to using the poles all the time and end up bringing them the second half too.)

I was thinking the same about using a quilt in a shelter. The down quilt really appeals to me, though, but I agree that a bag would probably be a better choice if I'm going to be sleeping in shelters some of the time.

redseal
04-21-2013, 17:30
I have the Hubba tent. No issues for me. I would recommend it.

macdaddy
04-29-2013, 09:44
Thanks for the tip on the bag! I've used a synthetic Mountain Hardware bag before on a backpacking trip in Oregon and it was wonderful! Didn't think I would be able to find any of their down bags for that price after what I saw when looking around, but I will definitely check out the Flip and see what I can find!!

Looked around the net this morning, my sister wants the same bag, best price I could find was 175. If you can find it cheaper, hit me back. I need some more reward points from Moosejaw!

BuckeyeBill
04-29-2013, 19:40
I am getting the tarptent contrail 24.5 oz.

capehiker
04-29-2013, 21:31
I have the EE RevX which I love and the TT Moment DW (I have a thread with a video review if you want to take a look) which is a solid tent.

Kookork
04-30-2013, 01:20
Hey y'all! I'm doing a flip-flop thru starting the first week of June (NOBO Harpers Ferry-Katahdin/SOBO Harpers Ferry-Springer) and I'm trying to finalize my sleeping gear decisions. I'm a college student on a budget, so I'm trying to get the best quality I can afford on my budget. Also planning to tent about 1/2-2/3 of the time and sleep in the shelters the rest of the time. Here's what I'm considering:

TENTS
-Sierra Designs Lightyear 1 ($149-189, 2 lb 11 oz)
-Lightheart Solo ($245, 1 lb 11 oz)
-Tarptent Moment DW ($269, 2 lb 2 oz)
-MSR Hubba ($279, 2 lb 13 oz)

SLEEPING BAGS/QUILTS
-ULA 20 degree down sleeping bag ($185, 2 lb 9.5 oz)
-EnLIGHTened Equipment RelevationX 20 degree (~$210, ~2 lb 5 oz)

If anyone has another suggestions, my budget is in the $250 range for the tent and in the $200 range for the a sleeping bag/quilt, and I'd like both for be under 3 lbs.

For people who have experience with these products, how do they compare for quality standing up on the trail and what is your input? Thanks. :)

The quilt you mentioned is 23.5 Oz for a 6' quilt(5' 6'' is even lighter). I have all the gears I need for a thru except the tent and quilt and I browsed the net for a long time to choose the best value. My choice is Lightheart solog 6 standard( camouflage) and the exact same quilt you mentioned. Lightheart solo is my second choice but notch and moment were in my final list before deciding on Solong 6 Standard. 30 square feet floor area is something I cant ignore in solo and Solong 6 compare to 15.2 square feet of Notch ( almost double ) in the same range of weight solo= 27 Oz Notch= 26 Oz Solong = 30.5

Don H
04-30-2013, 06:50
I like the Six Moon Designs Lunar Solo tent at 23 oz
http://www.sixmoondesigns.com/tents/LunarSolo.html

and the

Montebell UL Super Spiral Down Hugger #3 30 degree sleeping bag at 22 oz.
http://www.montbell.us/products/disp.php?cat_id=796&p_id=2321139

Both served me well on my thru.

Rock Lobster
05-06-2013, 22:53
I've used the older version of the Moment for over 1000 miles of the trail, and this is my experience:

-Free-standing setup is clutch, especially if you're hiking in any crowd and the good spots are taken, or if you like to stealth camp. I like to carry the extra pole.
-There is no need for any groundcloth. The bottom is perfectly waterproof and very tough.
-It is roomy and comfortable; in a pinch it can fit two. You could keep your gear in it with you. This space is awesome if you tent a lot.
-It is easy to set up in the rain without getting the inside wet.
-In heavy rain, I got "misted" but never soaked. Also, water would leak in through some of the sewn-in tie-offs and pool by my feet. This may be because I did a crappy job seam-sealing it, and from the pictures it looks like the new (DW) version fixes this by removing those vulnerable points.
-Most importantly: after 1000 miles, I bought a new one. This time I paid for him to seal it so I don't F it up.