PDA

View Full Version : Hiking Isle Royale National Park

honu
07-06-2005, 02:11
Several weeks ago I hiked the length of Isle Royale with a scoutmaster friend and a group of his scouts. I just posted my trail journal (with photos) at http://www.100megsfree3.com/wordsmith/backpacking/isleroyale.html . I formatted the webpage so it looks fine on my computer but if it appears screwy on your computer let me know and I'll change the formatting.

Heater
07-06-2005, 02:27
Several weeks ago I hiked the length of Isle Royale with a scoutmaster friend and a group of his scouts. I just posted my trail journal (with photos) at http://www.100megsfree3.com/wordsmith/backpacking/isleroyale.html . I formatted the webpage so it looks fine on my computer but if it appears screwy on your computer let me know and I'll change the formatting.
The page fomatting looked fine to me. The Isle Royale is on my list of places to visit when I get the time. Thanks for the info and pics.

I sounds like a yooper duper place to take a short vacation. :)

MedicineMan
07-06-2005, 06:07
We spent 6 days on Isle Royale backpacking after a 5 day paddle trip in Voyageurs NP...the north has a lot to offer and Isle Royale is indeed a special place....it was the boat ride back across Superior when it was pissed off that nearly did me in, the boat many times was surrounded by waves that were 2-3 times as high as the boat itself, many times the captain would throttle down and turn into a 'rogue' wave to face it bow first...the first mate walked around asking if all were OK, i said just tell me the boat can take this and he said the boat could take a lot more than the passengers.
IR is one of the least visited NPs and you can def. find solitude there, just remember what the captain told me when he was dropping us off 'it aint Bullwinkle you might meet here'..........

Heater
07-06-2005, 09:00
...the first mate walked around asking if all were OK, i said just tell me the boat can take this and he said the boat could take a lot more than the passengers.
IR is one of the least visited NPs and you can def. find solitude there, just remember what the captain told me when he was dropping us off 'it aint Bullwinkle you might meet here'..........
Do's are da "yoopers" I eluded to in my earlier post. A wild bunch for sure. From what I have gathered... the harder the life, the better the life... on the UP.

Did you have one of the meat pies they have there? (Pasties)

hiker5
07-06-2005, 11:40
You guys are making me want to go back to the UP. I graduate from Michigan Tech in 2002. Houghton was a wonderful place. Once I build up a bit more vacation time, my wife and I hope to spend some time back there. We have great memories of Copper Harbor, Calumet City Waterworks, Breakers, McLain State Park, Shoots and Ladders, Red Ridge, and more. Never spent time at IR, but the whole area is just fantastic.

honu
07-08-2005, 01:39
I love pasties. Always have at least one when I go to the UP. On this trip I had one for dinner on the way up and one for lunch on the way back.