PDA

View Full Version : Hickory Flat Cemetery

Abatis1948
04-21-2013, 21:25
I am looking forgood directions to Hickory Flat Cemetery from Three Forks. I will be doing a section hike inJuly and my grandson is interested in visiting the cemetery. If you can help post here are contact me at [email protected]. Thanks.

max patch
04-21-2013, 22:19
I am looking forgood directions to Hickory Flat Cemetery from Three Forks. I will be doing a section hike inJuly and my grandson is interested in visiting the cemetery. If you can help post here are contact me at [email protected]. Thanks.

Driving or hiking?

Hiking - 1.7 miles N of 3 Forks you will reach a forest service rd. Turn left. You'll be there in about 100 yards.

Driving - From Doublegap Rd turn onto FS 58. About 1/2 to 1 mile past 3 Forks there will be a forest service rd on your left. There is a sign marked Cemetary. Turn left on the forest service road and it will take you directly to the cemetary.

If you reached FS 58 off of FS 42 I'm not sure how far it is to the FS rd that you will turn rite on. The above referenced sign is blank coming this way. If you miss it and reach 3 Forks turn around.

max patch
04-21-2013, 22:35
Driving - From Doublegap Rd turn onto FS 58.

Doublehead Gap.

No Directions
04-21-2013, 22:36
There is a sign on the AT that will tell you where to turn left. From there it is only a hundred yards or so to the cemetery. I love old cemeteries and paid this one a visit last week. Sadly most of the headstones are unmarked. I always wonder who is buried there when I see an unmarked headstone.

Kerosene
04-22-2013, 16:39
Note that it is spelled "Hickory Flatts Cemetery". There are a dozen or more nice tentsites around a covered picnic pavilion. Large trees for hammocking and bear-bagging encircle the cemetery.

The cemetery is a nice 12-mile hike from Amicalola Lodge. It's another 12 miles to the semi-open, dry summit of Ramrock Mountain with a nice view of the Atlanta skyline. A third consecutive 12-miler takes you over Blood Mountain to Neel Gap. This is a nice reasonable pace to intro a moderately experienced backpacker to the AT.

Abatis1948
04-22-2013, 20:48
Thank You. This is exactly what I need.
Driving or hiking?

Hiking - 1.7 miles N of 3 Forks you will reach a forest service rd. Turn left. You'll be there in about 100 yards.

Driving - From Doublegap Rd turn onto FS 58. About 1/2 to 1 mile past 3 Forks there will be a forest service rd on your left. There is a sign marked Cemetary. Turn left on the forest service road and it will take you directly to the cemetary.

If you reached FS 58 off of FS 42 I'm not sure how far it is to the FS rd that you will turn rite on. The above referenced sign is blank coming this way. If you miss it and reach 3 Forks turn around.

Abatis1948
04-22-2013, 20:55
Thank you for your comments. A friend and I are hiking from Amicalolato Neel's Gap. He is taking his 13 year old son and I am taking my 13 year oldGrandson. We have 5 days to do this and we plan to take our time exploring someof the sites and views along the way. No hurry, just want to expose the boys tohiking and North Georgia.

Abatis1948
04-22-2013, 20:58
Thanks for the advice. Since you know the area can you give thelocation of some sites, views, or other interesting places to visit along thetrail from Springer Mountain to Neel's Gap.

Abatis1948
04-22-2013, 20:59
Thanks for the advice. Since you know the area can you give thelocation of some sites, views, or other interesting places to visit along thetrail from Springer Mountain to Neel's Gap.

Note that it is spelled "Hickory Flatts Cemetery". There are a dozen or more nice tentsites around a covered picnic pavilion with water. Large trees for hammocking and bear-bagging encircle the cemetery.

The cemetery is a nice 12-mile hike from Amicalola Lodge. It's another 12 miles to the semi-open, dry summit of Ramrock Mountain with a nice view of the Atlanta skyline. A third consecutive 12-miler takes you over Blood Mountain to Neel Gap. This is a nice reasonable pace to intro a moderately experienced backpacker to the AT.

No Directions
04-22-2013, 21:40
If you want to hike a short distance down the BMT there is a memorial plaque to Benton MacKaye. The BMT is .2 miles north of Springer. At about 5.2 miles north of Springer is a short blue blaze trail on the left to Long Creek Falls. Definitely worth the time. Beautiful falls. At 19 miles Ramrock Mtn is a nice place to camp and a beautiful view.

max patch
04-22-2013, 21:49
You are allowed to camp at the cemetary if you want to. No water, so fill your bottles at 3 forks.

THEmapMAKER
08-23-2023, 13:22
Can you still get to the Hickory Flatts Cemetery from the A.T.? if so how. Is the teetertotter still there?

zelph
08-24-2023, 12:48
Can you still get to the Hickory Flatts Cemetery from the A.T.? if so how. Is the teetertotter still there?

http://davidleemuse.blogspot.com/2017/02/hickory-flats-and-mill-creek-valley.html