PDA

View Full Version : Just Finished The 2nd Hardest Section on The AT - Back Home For Now

goedde2
04-22-2013, 00:27
Click on my signature below to get my Trail Journal account of this year's effort. About the third click through the journal will take you to a long and detailed description that may be of interest, and if you click on the "Photo" link on the left hand side bar, you can view a few pics I added. I'll be back after I heal for a flip-flop. Happy Hiking, and get out there.

The next point I need to stress is would I do it again, with the same intention of spending 6 months on the AT? My answer to that question would be a resounding, absolutely YES, no questions asked. There was never an issue of physical ability, emotional stability, mental awareness, or not being properly prepared. I thoroughly did enjoy my very brief time back on the AT, despite having no choice but to deal with the health issues, which in my opinion took precedence over any need to try to impress anyone by continuing any further than I did, for whatever reason. Katahdin was not my goal, as most would assume. That would have been a huge bonus, but that was not my focus. My goal was to enjoy each and every day, regardless, and take advantage of the privilege of even being able to be on the AT at age 66, in any capacity. It was not going to be a foot race. When, or if, I got to a point where I was no longer enjoying self, I would make a decision and feel completely fulfilled and satisfied, with that decision, and more importantly, have no regrets. All the arm chair quarterbacks can say what they will, but I know being a “wanna-be” with opinionated and sometimes ridiculous advice on how “they” would hike the AT, will never apply to me, because I’ve been out there, and not just “imagined” being out there.

I woke up the other night and realized I had been reincarnated as a “section” hiker, or possibly even a “car camper”. At least now I know, by personal experience, living the AT lifestyle for months on end, just does not appeal to me. It’s not a matter of perseverance, it’s a matter of preference. At least I’m not stuck in a rut glued to the set watching the latest sports series, or Andy Griffith re-runs, as sadly, so many are. This is not a dress rehearsal, and I am determined not to have any regrets when I am lying there on my death bed. I just completed the 2nd hardest section on the AT, some parts of it twice, with New Hampshire and Maine, being the most difficult. Will I go back and chip away at another section? Of course I will, and I am so looking forward to the opportunity, when it presents itself. I have the gear, the know how, the experience, and the right attitude. Who knows, I haven’t ruled out a flip flop later on this year yet. It sounds pretty exciting to me, at least.

However, just one last word of caution. With out warning, no matter how much you plan, no matter how well prepared you are, no matter what the circumstances are, one day you may find yourself out in the woods in the middle of nowhere, miles from civilization, sitting in a bucket load of your own ****, asking yourself, “What just happened?”

Life has no guarantees, so live each day as if it were your last.

Jalum
04-22-2013, 11:20
Why would you hand out your food to people after your hands and lower torso were covered in feces?

Why would you wish numerous acts of violence upon people for talking and snoring in the woods?

Why would you be angry with someone for sitting on a hilltop and reading a book?

Was this satire?

Hot Flash
04-22-2013, 11:38
Quoted from your journal:

I look up and here comes a group of about 20 geriatrics in street shoes, all of which were pushing 100, led by one guide. This “guide” is obviously pushing that well known AT romantic notion a lot of people have, and cashing in. They only went on the trail for a few hundred yards or so, but the point is, using the AT for personal gain, to me is not what it’s supposed to be about. The “guides” in Yellowstone NP do the same thing. They cash in on the romantic notions everyone has about YNP. They call themselves “outfitters”, dress up like cowboys in old TV westerns, wear plaid shirts, vests, big hats, and for added effect, tuck their pants in their boots and wear those stupid spurs. And then, they charge thousands of dollars so you can ride a horse through the woods for a few days, sit around a campfire and eat beans, and freeze your ass off sleeping in a tent. I lived in YNP for over 14 months, five seasons, and hiked hundreds of miles by myself. That’s what I think the true YNP experience should be about, not ripping off some unsuspecting tourist, or taking advantage of them.

Seriously? Did you ever consider for one moment that perhaps that is the only way those "geriatrics" as you so patronizingly call them would get to see part of the AT? That maybe this is the only way they could follow the Hike Your Own Hike mantra we all repeat so often? Did you ever consider that maybe a horseback weekend with an outfitter is just what some people like to do?

Also...handing out food while covered in poo probably wasn't the best idea ever.

Rasty
04-22-2013, 12:14
Georgia is the 2nd hardest section?

hikerboy57
04-22-2013, 12:17
nh and maine are not one section, they are two and by far much more difficult than ga..personally i found ga to be relatively easy, found nc to be tougher than ga. i think ga might be considered harder because its the first section for most, especially for those unaccustomed to hiking mountains. i think sobos would laugh if you told them ga was the second hardest section.

max patch
04-22-2013, 12:30
I bet the "geriatrics" didn't crap themselves.

The Gambler
04-22-2013, 12:35
hilarious max patch...georgia is easier than maine, nh, north carolina, tennessee and virginia in my opinion

Old Hiker
04-22-2013, 12:38

Yeah, but on the other hand, did they have the teeth to chew bad jerky?

I had to quit reading after the first paragraph describing the incident. As my 6th grade students say, "TMI".

The Gambler
04-22-2013, 12:38
oh i forgot to mention vermont....i agree with hiker boy that some think georgia is harder than it really is because they start there

Malto
04-22-2013, 12:43
The next point I need to stress is would I do it again, with the same intention of spending 6 months on the AT? My answer to that question would be a resounding, absolutely YES, no questions asked. There was never an issue of physical ability, emotional stability, mental awareness, or not being properly prepared. I thoroughly did enjoy my very brief time back on the AT, despite having no choice but to deal with the health issues, which in my opinion took precedence over any need to try to impress anyone by continuing any further than I did, for whatever reason. Katahdin was not my goal, as most would assume. That would have been a huge bonus, but that was not my focus. My goal was to enjoy each and every day, regardless, and take advantage of the privilege of even being able to be on the AT at age 66, in any capacity. It was not going to be a foot race. When, or if, I got to a point where I was no longer enjoying self, I would make a decision and feel completely fulfilled and satisfied, with that decision, and more importantly, have no regrets. All the arm chair quarterbacks can say what they will, but I know being a “wanna-be” with opinionated and sometimes ridiculous advice on how “they” would hike the AT, will never apply to me, because I’ve been out there, and not just “imagined” being out there..

Just curious about the point of your original post. So your started a second thru hike attempt and failed, so what, join the 100s of others. Are you trying to justify your quitting decision to others or to yourself because it certainly sounds like you are trying to convince yourself that your intent was just to hike as long as it was fun. Good luck with your section hiking.

Cookerhiker
04-22-2013, 12:45
After NH & ME from Glencliff to Safford Notch (descent from Avery Peak), the next-hardest AT section IMO is NC from Winding Stair Gap to Fontana. GA isn't easy but not the second hardest.

tdoczi
04-22-2013, 12:53
After NH & ME from Glencliff to Safford Notch (descent from Avery Peak), the next-hardest AT section IMO is NC from Winding Stair Gap to Fontana. GA isn't easy but not the second hardest.

this answer begs the question of how big, exactly, a section is, as the one "section" you site is probably 5 times the size of the other.

looked at in very large chunks i think its generally regarded that the southern 3rd of the trail is the 2nd hardest section, so i guess thats what the OP is getting at, but it also doesnt seem like he actually finished the southern third of the trail.

looked at in chunks the size of GA, glencliff to safford notch is several sections, all of which are probably way harder than GA.

hikerboy57
04-22-2013, 12:55
Georgia is the second hardest section after nc to me.

Cookerhiker
04-22-2013, 13:01
this answer begs the question of how big, exactly, a section is, as the one "section" you site is probably 5 times the size of the other.

looked at in very large chunks i think its generally regarded that the southern 3rd of the trail is the 2nd hardest section, so i guess thats what the OP is getting at, but it also doesn't seem like he actually finished the southern third of the trail.

looked at in chunks the size of GA, glencliff to safford notch is several sections, all of which are probably way harder than GA.

That's true - what is a "section?" - Not sure that state boundaries are clearcut beginnings and ends of sections. My point was that hiking NOBO starting from Glencliff, it's pretty darn hard all the way through the Bigalows.

If I were to rank the 14 states in difficulty, I'd put Maine #1, NH #2, and NC #3. On the other end, WV is #14, MD #13, and NJ #12. In between, it's a mixed bag.

perdidochas
04-22-2013, 13:09
Why would you hand out your food to people after your hands and lower torso were covered in feces?

Why would you wish numerous acts of violence upon people for talking and snoring in the woods?

Why would you be angry with someone for sitting on a hilltop and reading a book?

Was this satire?

My thoughts as well. Has to be a joke or satire.

Rasty
04-22-2013, 13:13
Georgia is the second hardest section after nc to me.

"after nc to me"

Are you saying North Carolina to Maine

or

That Georgia was the 2nd hardest to you after North Carolina

perdidochas
04-22-2013, 13:20
Click on my signature below to get my Trail Journal account of this year's effort. About the third click through the journal will take you to a long and detailed description that may be of interest, and if you click on the "Photo" link on the left hand side bar, you can view a few pics I added. I'll be back after I heal for a flip-flop. Happy Hiking, and get out there.

The next point I need to stress is would I do it again, with the same intention of spending 6 months on the AT? My answer to that question would be a resounding, absolutely YES, no questions asked. There was never an issue of physical ability, emotional stability, mental awareness, or not being properly prepared. I thoroughly did enjoy my very brief time back on the AT, despite having no choice but to deal with the health issues, which in my opinion took precedence over any need to try to impress anyone by continuing any further than I did, for whatever reason. Katahdin was not my goal, as most would assume. That would have been a huge bonus, but that was not my focus. My goal was to enjoy each and every day, regardless, and take advantage of the privilege of even being able to be on the AT at age 66, in any capacity. It was not going to be a foot race. When, or if, I got to a point where I was no longer enjoying self, I would make a decision and feel completely fulfilled and satisfied, with that decision, and more importantly, have no regrets. All the arm chair quarterbacks can say what they will, but I know being a “wanna-be” with opinionated and sometimes ridiculous advice on how “they” would hike the AT, will never apply to me, because I’ve been out there, and not just “imagined” being out there.

I woke up the other night and realized I had been reincarnated as a “section” hiker, or possibly even a “car camper”. At least now I know, by personal experience, living the AT lifestyle for months on end, just does not appeal to me. It’s not a matter of perseverance, it’s a matter of preference. At least I’m not stuck in a rut glued to the set watching the latest sports series, or Andy Griffith re-runs, as sadly, so many are. This is not a dress rehearsal, and I am determined not to have any regrets when I am lying there on my death bed. I just completed the 2nd hardest section on the AT, some parts of it twice, with New Hampshire and Maine, being the most difficult. Will I go back and chip away at another section? Of course I will, and I am so looking forward to the opportunity, when it presents itself. I have the gear, the know how, the experience, and the right attitude. Who knows, I haven’t ruled out a flip flop later on this year yet. It sounds pretty exciting to me, at least.

However, just one last word of caution. With out warning, no matter how much you plan, no matter how well prepared you are, no matter what the circumstances are, one day you may find yourself out in the woods in the middle of nowhere, miles from civilization, sitting in a bucket load of your own ****, asking yourself, “What just happened?”

Life has no guarantees, so live each day as if it were your last.

What dates did you hike?

goedde2
04-22-2013, 13:38

Was this satire?

Lighten up dude. I was totally cleaned up by the next day, disinfected, and germ free. All my food was in plastic zip lock bags.

Don't be so quick to take every single word out of context, pick it apart, and try to make something out of nothing for cryin' out loud. The account I gave was nothing more than an honest reaction I had to the events at hand, and there was no intention to wish ill will on anyone. There was no anger. I found it ironic the place in the middle of nowhere I had to get to for cell reception, was already occupied, that's all. He could have been doing this at home just as well. This guy was one of those week-end warrior types that park at a trailhead and get off by themselves for awhile. Nothing wrong with that. Satire is a bit strong, but if that's the word you prefer, use it, because normally prose written in satire is generally intended to be humorous.

goedde2
04-22-2013, 14:06
Quoted from your journal:

I look up and here comes a group of about 20 geriatrics in street shoes, all of which were pushing 100, led by one guide. This “guide” is obviously pushing that well known AT romantic notion a lot of people have, and cashing in. They only went on the trail for a few hundred yards or so, but the point is, using the AT for personal gain, to me is not what it’s supposed to be about. The “guides” in Yellowstone NP do the same thing. They cash in on the romantic notions everyone has about YNP. They call themselves “outfitters”, dress up like cowboys in old TV westerns, wear plaid shirts, vests, big hats, and for added effect, tuck their pants in their boots and wear those stupid spurs. And then, they charge thousands of dollars so you can ride a horse through the woods for a few days, sit around a campfire and eat beans, and freeze your ass off sleeping in a tent. I lived in YNP for over 14 months, five seasons, and hiked hundreds of miles by myself. That’s what I think the true YNP experience should be about, not ripping off some unsuspecting tourist, or taking advantage of them.

Seriously? Did you ever consider for one moment that perhaps that is the only way those "geriatrics" as you so patronizingly call them would get to see part of the AT? That maybe this is the only way they could follow the Hike Your Own Hike mantra we all repeat so often? Did you ever consider that maybe a horseback weekend with an outfitter is just what some people like to do?

Also...handing out food while covered in poo probably wasn't the best idea ever.

Again, taken out of context with drama and ridicule. I had a great time stopping and talking to the older folks, and shared what I could with them, because they asked me all kinds of questions. I applauded their effort and wished I could be as fit as they were if I ever reached that age. I hardly think that qualifies as "patronizing". Where are you getting had a problem with them, or are you just trying to add your worthless 2 cents worth and jump on the WB bandwagon?

As for the "outfitters" in YNP, my next door neighbor had a Doctorate in Music Composition, was a university professor, and saw the opportunity to give the tourists what they wanted by offering them trail rides, and did exactly that. To me that means taking advantage of an business opportunity. Nothing wrong with that, and it provided a vacation memory for the tourists. Nothing wrong with that. What is wrong, IMHO, is using the pristine wilderness as a means to find a way to line your own pockets.

As for handing out food while covered in poo, that is a figment of your own imagination. You weren't even there so what gives you the right to make such an outrageous accusation? I grabbed my sealed food bag and dumped out the entire contents, all of which was packaged in individual zip locks on the table and my 4 hiker friends helped themselves to whatever they could use, and thanked me profusely for my generosity. My hands, which by this time had been thoroughly cleansed with camp soap, baby wipes, and hand sanitizer, never even touched the zip locks. How dare you make such an assumption, but then on the other hand broken down, the word describes you exactly. Get a life.

goedde2
04-22-2013, 14:15

On a difficulty rating of 1 - 10, the North GA mountain section of the AT is rated a solid 6. The Smokies soon after are rated 5 - 6, which was a bit of a surprise to me, especially when you consider Clingman's Dome is at a little over 6600 feet in elevation, and the highest point on the AT. Everything goes down from there. Only New Hampshire and Maine are rated higher in difficulty and rated 6 - 10. Or so I've been told. I would think there would be some challenges in NC as well as the Smokies, but I haven't been through there so I can only go by the information that was posted in WB.

goedde2
04-22-2013, 14:19
nh and maine are not one section, they are two and by far much more difficult than ga..personally i found ga to be relatively easy, found nc to be tougher than ga. i think ga might be considered harder because its the first section for most, especially for those unaccustomed to hiking mountains. i think sobos would laugh if you told them ga was the second hardest section.

Look it up in the WB journals, which is where i got that information. Thanks for your advice which may be more helpful than the info I had.

goedde2
04-22-2013, 14:23

That's because they were probably wearing adult diapers and didn't care if they did. Besides, being deathly sick and dehydrated might have had something to do with it. l How would you know anyway? You weren't there, so take your sarcastic insinuations and ****off.

Lone Wolf
04-22-2013, 14:32
the GA AT is pretty easy, physically

goedde2
04-22-2013, 14:33
Just curious about the point of your original post. So your started a second thru hike attempt and failed, so what, join the 100s of others. Are you trying to justify your quitting decision to others or to yourself because it certainly sounds like you are trying to convince yourself that your intent was just to hike as long as it was fun. Good luck with your section hiking.

Just to clarify, I'm not trying to justify anything or come up with some lame excuse to make me feel better about myself. I didn't attempt a second thru hike. That was never my intention or purpose. Simply put, I got sick, and had to choose between hiking uphill from the shelter to Franklin 35 miles away, or hike out 6 miles. I chose the latter, and thank you for your encouragement. My post was not meant to be taken out of context, which seems to be the norm on WB, just to keep the endless drama going.

Dogwood
04-22-2013, 14:36
"Don't be so quick to take every single word out of context, pick it apart, and try to make something out of nothing......"

I would NEVER do that.

"I woke up the other night and realized I had been reincarnated as a “section” hiker......"

EVERYONE is a section hiker UNTIL they ACTUALLY COMPLETE A THRU-HIKE! Given the wanna thru-hike the AT completion rates The VAST MAJORITY who claim to be AT thru-hikers are mostly section hikers. Think about!! If you have not completed AT LEAST ONE THRU-HIKE and are desiring to be LABELED as a thru-hiker and are currently on trail seeking to complete the AT YOU ARE A THRU-HIKING STUDENT IN TRAINING TO BE PROPERLY CALLED A THRU-HIKER! You are only currently taking the examination to be PROPERLY LABELED AS A THRU-HIKER!

goedde2
04-22-2013, 14:37
Yeah, but on the other hand, did they have the teeth to chew bad jerky?

I had to quit reading after the first paragraph describing the incident. As my 6th grade students say, "TMI".

Sounds like another worthless 2 cents worth, with no point, off topic, and self centered. Typical. Looks like the students are smarter than the teacher.

Dogwood
04-22-2013, 14:41
BTW, back on target, I enjoyed your Trail Journal accounts. Don't let the nitpickers and naysayers, who ever they may be, get to you. However, I'm not taking any food from you either. :D:banana

jj2044
04-22-2013, 14:41
the GA AT is pretty easy, physically
100% agree, I think many people think its a lot harder then it is because THEY are out of shape, and Ga is a wake call for an out of shape hiker, but there are many parts harder then the GA section

goedde2
04-22-2013, 14:55
BTW, back on target, I enjoyed your Trail Journal accounts. Don't let the nitpickers and naysayers, who ever they may be, get to you. However, I'm not taking any food from you either. :D:banana

Thanks Dogwood. I guess I'm still in recovery and still cranky because of it, so to anyone and everyone I may have been short with, my apologies. I think all the folks I came across, and there were quite a few, with very few exceptions, are some of the best people I've ever met. Really.......it's all good. You just have to not let your emotions get the best of you sometimes, and try your best not to take anything personally. I probably need to work harder on both.

hikerboy57
04-22-2013, 15:01
You said it-its all good.

Venchka
04-22-2013, 15:02
This thread makes the Ignore Feature worth the price of admission.

Wayne

goedde2
04-22-2013, 15:09
100% agree, I think many people think its a lot harder then it is because THEY are out of shape, and Ga is a wake call for an out of shape hiker, but there are many parts harder then the GA section

http://www.appalachiantrail.org/about-the-trail/terrain-by-state/georgia

Click the link above for the "difficulty" ratings I was going by. What's easy for one person can be considered pretty strenuous by another. There are too many variables. A few of the solo female hikers I met, one with her dog, flew around me like I had my brakes on. At the same time, I came across two other solo female hikers that were stopped dead in their tracks, slumped over their hiking poles, gasping for breath. I gave them what encouragement I could and wished them well.

Dogwood
04-22-2013, 15:37
Displaying your character Goedde2. Good for you.

Hot Flash
04-22-2013, 15:49
Again, taken out of context with drama and ridicule. I had a great time stopping and talking to the older folks, and shared what I could with them, because they asked me all kinds of questions. I applauded their effort and wished I could be as fit as they were if I ever reached that age. I hardly think that qualifies as "patronizing". Where are you getting had a problem with them, or are you just trying to add your worthless 2 cents worth and jump on the WB bandwagon?

Completely NOT how your journal was written. You didn't mention how much you "enjoyed" the older people, you merely made snide statements that you thought what they were doing didn't belong on the AT and some completely unrelated criticisms of some people who work in the service industry in Yellowstone. Oh, the horror, someone made some money from escorting some older people into the outdoors!

Maybe you should go edit that self-centered, whiny journal entry to show just how much you "enjoyed" everyone being out on YOUR trail, not hiking how you think they should hike.

tdoczi
04-22-2013, 15:53
That's true - what is a "section?" - Not sure that state boundaries are clearcut beginnings and ends of sections. My point was that hiking NOBO starting from Glencliff, it's pretty darn hard all the way through the Bigalows.

If I were to rank the 14 states in difficulty, I'd put Maine #1, NH #2, and NC #3. On the other end, WV is #14, MD #13, and NJ #12. In between, it's a mixed bag.

i know i'm in the minority in holding this view but a hiker i met out hiking once convinced me that it makes the most sense to label sections based on geological or naturally occurring geographic boundaries. in other words, harpers ferry to boiling springs is a section, so is swatara gap to high point. the state of VT is not a section as theres a major transition in the middle after killington, making it into at least 2 sections, arguably parts of 2 sections. its an interesting way to look at it i think, as the mountains dont care about geopolitical boundaries.

speedbump
04-22-2013, 16:12
I wish I had time to read the journal, but I don't. I am very interested in what section you have done to consider the 2nd hardest and what you think is the hardest? I have done all of NH, the Mahoosics, and much of Maine. These sections are HARD! I was wondering if these are the sections you are referring to? Or are there harder on the trail? I am a section hiker to, and plan on doing every last mile of the AT by the time I take the big dirt nap : )

rocketsocks
04-22-2013, 16:37
You's guy's are all freaking brutal.....

Cookerhiker
04-22-2013, 17:08
I wish I had time to read the journal, but I don't. I am very interested in what section you have done to consider the 2nd hardest and what you think is the hardest? I have done all of NH, the Mahoosics, and much of Maine. These sections are HARD! I was wondering if these are the sections you are referring to? Or are there harder on the trail? I am a section hiker to, and plan on doing every last mile of the AT by the time I take the big dirt nap : )

Nothing like starting your AT section hikes with the hardest ones- and that's what you've done!:) Compared to what you've done, the rest will seem like cake. But it's not "easy," just easier.

HikerMom58
04-22-2013, 17:12

Couldn't have said it better myself, RS

"You just have to not let your emotions get the best of you sometimes, and try your best not to take anything personally. I probably need to work harder on both. "

It's hard not to let these things control behavior goedde2. Just keep working at it ... I'm right there working on it myself. :0) It's all good!!

hikerboy57
04-22-2013, 17:17
weather conditions can also have quite a bit of influence as to what sections end up being hard. the people who started early this year experienced a winter they weren't prepared for even those that were prepared had to deal with some brutal conditions. last year extreme heat and drought may have made the Mid Atlantic states more difficult for some.

Two Speed
04-22-2013, 17:49
Been hiking around north Georgia for better than 30 years, done NC & TN up, parts of VA and ME, and I agree, the Georgia AT isn't that tough.

Unless you're out of shape and / or carrying too much crap. Then it'll kick your butt.

The Old Chief
04-22-2013, 18:16
"Just to clarify, I'm not trying to justify anything or come up with some lame excuse to make me feel better about myself. I didn't attempt a second thru hike. That was never my intention or purpose."
"The next point I need to stress is would I do it again, with the same intention of spending 6 months on the AT? My answer to that question would be a resounding, absolutely YES, no questions asked."
"Just a few more days before I'm able to leave for this year's thru attempt on the AT"

It's been a long day. I'm thoroughly confused. I will agree that a hike from Hwy 76 to Plumorchard Shelter and back to Hwy 76 is definitely not an attempt at a thru hike..

Spirit Bear
04-22-2013, 18:36
I section hiked from Springer mtn to Neel's gap last summer and got the fever to hike the AT, it's the hardest job I have ever had to do in my life, just those first 30 miles.

On the way up to springer from the FS road, I walked by a woman with only 1 leg, she had a prostetic on the other and had two cains walking up to springer on her own.

I personally think she had more determination than many of us doing that out there only with her two grandkids following. I offered to help and she refused to take any, that she wanted to hike up to springer and back all on her own.

Those old people you were making fun of, let them enjoy the trail the same as you did.

As you post this, many on here see you as the old 100 year old that can't hack the trail and only have a fantasy about what it is.

We all think about the highs and foreget the lows of the trail.

You need to just be thankful what the trail taught you, if you still have the desire you will be back out there, use your own experience to help make you stronger and don't judge those around you when on the trail. The trail treats us all equal, regardless of age, religion, or social economic background.

goedde2
04-22-2013, 18:53
Completely NOT how your journal was written. You didn't mention how much you "enjoyed" the older people, you merely made snide statements that you thought what they were doing didn't belong on the AT and some completely unrelated criticisms of some people who work in the service industry in Yellowstone. Oh, the horror, someone made some money from escorting some older people into the outdoors!

Maybe you should go edit that self-centered, whiny journal entry to show just how much you "enjoyed" everyone being out on YOUR trail, not hiking how you think they should hike.

Obviously your moronic implications that a comparison between YNP outfitters some of whom I know personally, and you don't, with another "AT Guide", who was doing the same thing, using the wilderness to their advantage, and claiming it was just an unrelated criticism, significantly demonstrates your inability to comprehend any understanding of the facts.

My comment about how I actually did enjoy the group of elderly folks, and the interaction with them, was directed specifically to you, and that post you made, to try to clear up your confusion, and was totally unrelated to my journal post. Somehow you managed to miss the entire point, and convince yourself they were one in the same. I was not making snide remarks about how I thought those folks didn't belong on the AT. I welcomed them and offered encouragement and respect for the effort they were making, and told them I should be so lucky to have the same great attitude if I ever made it to their age. I merely expressed my opinion about how the wilderness and the general AT AND YNP romantic mindset most people have about each of these places is being exploited for personal gain by AT guides AND YNP "outfitters", by comparing the two, which IMHO does not set well with ME. You can think whatever you want. Get it? Probably not, because you cannot even grasp the idea of free enterprise and how it works. These guides and outfitters don't work in any "service industry". They work for themselves, and their own pocket books. NOW, do you get it? I doubt it.

If you think my journal was whiny and self-centered that is your opinion, and I can accept that. You're entitled. I'd respect you and your opinion even more if you had enough foresight to send a PM, instead of using a public discussion forum to launch a personal attack against me, because you are obviously not aware of what the premise of WB is all about, and it isn't about YOU, and your false accuisations.

Remind me again of just how, when, and where I claimed the AT was MY trail. And, exactly who it is that you are referring to that were not hiking as I thought they should, or when I mentioned that? If you want to blow smoke, you had better look around and check your backside, because I don't think you have any left.

goedde2
04-22-2013, 19:38
I section hiked from Springer mtn to Neel's gap last summer and got the fever to hike the AT, it's the hardest job I have ever had to do in my life, just those first 30 miles.

On the way up to springer from the FS road, I walked by a woman with only 1 leg, she had a prostetic on the other and had two cains walking up to springer on her own.

I personally think she had more determination than many of us doing that out there only with her two grandkids following. I offered to help and she refused to take any, that she wanted to hike up to springer and back all on her own.

Those old people you were making fun of, let them enjoy the trail the same as you did.

As you post this, many on here see you as the old 100 year old that can't hack the trail and only have a fantasy about what it is.

We all think about the highs and foreget the lows of the trail.

You need to just be thankful what the trail taught you, if you still have the desire you will be back out there, use your own experience to help make you stronger and don't judge those around you when on the trail. The trail treats us all equal, regardless of age, religion, or social economic background.

Tell me again EXACTLY where, when, and how I made fun of ANYONE, old or young. Did you even look at or understand the thread title? Obviously you just jumped on the crusade and started forming your own opinions and posting at my expense via yet another personal attack. Just how is it that you got the notion everyone sees me as a "100 year old that can't hack the trail and only have a fantasy about what it is"? Oh, that's right, you're the expert that's done it all. That might be YOUR opinion, but don't make the assumption it's everyone's opinion. Oh, that's right, I forgot, you've done a whopping 30 miles last summer and now qualified yourself as the expert. I've been out there off and on since 2005, but I guess I still have yet to understand myself what the AT is all about. That all started when i lived in Dunwoody myself, on Vermack Road, and took many trips to the AT and Amicalola Falls, because it's only a 2 hour drive away. Let's not forget about the hundreds of miles I hiked, winter and summer in YNP, up to and including the 8500 + elevations, when I lived there for 14 months.

If anyone needs to be thankful for what the trail has taught them, that would be YOU, because, IMHO you're going to need all the help you can get, just to make it to Unicoi Gap, if you even know where that is, which I doubt.

goedde2
04-22-2013, 19:58

Hey speedbump, you are a true inspiration. If it will help you at all click on the link below to get a better idea of what each area consists of with a related "difficulty" assessment. Hope this helps you a bit. Happy Hiking.

http://www.appalachiantrail.org/abou...-state/georgia (http://www.appalachiantrail.org/about-the-trail/terrain-by-state/georgia)

goedde2
04-22-2013, 20:02

Well, THEY started it. I don't take it personally though. It's just part of the ongoing saga of WB drama. In spite of it all, it's still all good, IMHO.

goedde2
04-22-2013, 20:09
Couldn't have said it better myself, RS

"You just have to not let your emotions get the best of you sometimes, and try your best not to take anything personally. I probably need to work harder on both. "

It's hard not to let these things control behavior goedde2. Just keep working at it ... I'm right there working on it myself. :0) It's all good!!

Thanks HM. Maybe this says it all: Don't argue with idiots. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Half Note
04-22-2013, 20:57
So much OP trolling. I should have made some popcorn :banana

Rasty
04-22-2013, 20:58
So much OP trolling. I should have made some popcorn :banana

Can I have some?

Train Wreck
04-22-2013, 21:06
Can I have some?

I got some leftover KFC from the cafe down the street!

max patch
04-22-2013, 21:39
Let me see if I've got this.

The OP sets out to do a thru. Rents a car, drives 500 miles, about 8 hours, from Sarasota to Atlanta. Gets a shuttle from Atlanta to the trail. Hikes 4 miles, craps his pants, says screw it, hikes 4 miles back to road, and goes home.

Nothing wrong with that. 80% of those who start out don't make it.

But now HE is calling US idiots and morons.

Thats the part I don't understand.

max patch
04-22-2013, 21:43
Simply put, I got sick, and had to choose between hiking uphill from the shelter to Franklin 35 miles away, or hike out 6 miles.

If you had maps and used them you would have seen that it is only 15 trail miles to Franklin. That might have made a difference.

Train Wreck
04-22-2013, 21:45
goedde, I'm confused as to why you didn't give it a couple of days, wait till you felt better, and get back on the trail again to see how things went for at least a few days? No criticism intended, I'm honestly not understanding. Maybe I missed something in the journal.

bfayer
04-22-2013, 22:05
Goedde2,

I don't feel like getting into the middle of this, but just an observation. When I find myself in a situation where I have to start defending myself against a bunch of folks that have a problem with my attitude, I usually find its a good time to keep my trap shut and just listen for awhile.

Its not about admitting they are right, just that they may be seeing something I might have missed about the way I was coming across. Every once in a while, I realize they just might be right.

Just a thought from the peanut gallery.

HikerMom58
04-22-2013, 22:09

The OP sets out to do a thru. Rents a car, drives 500 miles, about 8 hours, from Sarasota to Atlanta. Gets a shuttle from Atlanta to the trail. Hikes 4 miles, craps his pants, says screw it, hikes 4 miles back to road, and goes home.

Let me see if I can help you here, max patch... it's the words you use that make people defensive. Do you see how TW's words are much gentler/ kinder? It's the words you use and the way you spin it.

Another thing is the way people pick apart and make judgement calls on things people "say". It's way too hard to make those kind of judgements on here. So much is lost in this type of communication.

Even if I get the sense that people are opening themselves up to criticism, how can one be so unkind? That's the part I don't understand.

goedde, I'm confused as to why you didn't give it a couple of days, wait till you felt better, and get back on the trail again to see how things went for at least a few days? No criticism intended, I'm honestly not understanding. Maybe I missed something in the journal.

Beautiful TW..... :D

MuddyWaters
04-22-2013, 22:45
None of the southern AT is really hard.

Theres trails out there where you have to cross thigh deep moving water, climb with hands, bushwack around fallen trees and washouts, and simply work to stay on a trail thats infrequently maintained, overgrown, and hard to follow.

Nope,much of the AT is actually a freaking cakewalk. Designed and improved so that darn near anyone can hike on it.

You control the level of difficulty, by your own physical shape, pace you try to maintain, and weight you carry.

jj2044
04-22-2013, 22:56

TW,Because he didn't really want to hike the AT, he's one of the ones that likes the idea of the AT more then the reality of it. Goedde2, while I don't think you meant for your writing to come off the way it did, some of the stuff you say is pretty out there lol, the "geriatrics" comment has already been talked about enough, but it cracks me up, im guessing you are 67ish or older, not exactly a spring chicken anymore. or the ", but I had just packed on an extra 30 pounds for my AT “gas tank” " but you thought you were still in shape ?? LOL yeaaa.... or your comment on GA being the 2nd hardest section... you realize you were only hiking like 9 miles of GA this time right ?? and you didn't even finish it !! you "my hopes of reaching Plumborchard Gap Shelter, not even 6 miles away, was fading fast. That’s a very hard trip." No its not , there is 1 real climb in those miles.. and its like 800 feet over like 1.25 miles.

jj2044
04-22-2013, 23:10
Just Finished The 2nd Hardest Section on The AT - Back Home For Now (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?94634-Just-Finished-The-2nd-Hardest-Section-on-The-AT-Back-Home-For-Now/page3) ..... No, no you didn't... you got within 4 miles of finishing the GA section.

Lone Wolf
04-22-2013, 23:13
Let me see if I can help you here, max patch... it's the words you use that make people defensive. Do you see how TW's words are much gentler/ kinder? It's the words you use and the way you spin it.

Another thing is the way people pick apart and make judgement calls on things people "say". It's way too hard to make those kind of judgements on here. So much is lost in this type of communication.

Even if I get the sense that people are opening themselves up to criticism, how can one be so unkind? That's the part I don't understand.

Beautiful TW..... :D

max patch speaks truth. not some pussy-ass comfort talk

Bronk
04-23-2013, 03:04

This is exactly what I was going to say...but I think it is a valuable journal to read because like you say, this is the way many "thruhikers" end up. We need more of these kinds of stories posted here because most people who quit, especailly after only a few miles, just quietly leave the trail, which leaves the more typical AT hiker story untold.

For someone to travel so far and go to such expense only to hike a few miles and then turn around and go back the same way after what most thruhikers would consider to be a small setback just underscores the fact that there was no real committment to go any distance...at the first sign of trouble he bailed like most people do.

rocketsocks
04-23-2013, 04:00
My thoughts as well. Has to be a joke or satire.Ya think.......

rickb
04-23-2013, 07:11
Ya think.......

On occasion.

I got nothing to say, but since this thread will definitely be an all-time classic I just wanted to post something, while I have the chance.

Too bad there is not a marker that can be added so we could find this one years from now.

Train Wreck
04-23-2013, 07:18
On occasion.

I got nothing to say, but since this thread will definitely be an all-time classic I just wanted to post something, while I have the chance.

Too bad there is not a marker that can be added so we could find this one years from now.

Just do a search for "crapped in pants"

jburgasser
04-23-2013, 07:48
Maybe next time you should save up for a couple more months (or start saving a couple months earlier), sleep in an actual hotel room (not your car) and eat regular meals. And packing on 30 extra pounds?? Next time hit the stairmaster more frequently to build your legs and your lungs. Those are the lessons that speak loudest to me after reading through (actually I had to skip through a few, probably obvious sentences) your journal.

Ickybod

Coosa
04-23-2013, 08:18
"Don't be so quick to take every single word out of context, pick it apart, and try to make something out of nothing......"

I would NEVER do that.

"I woke up the other night and realized I had been reincarnated as a “section” hiker......"

EVERYONE is a section hiker UNTIL they ACTUALLY COMPLETE A THRU-HIKE! Given the wanna thru-hike the AT completion rates The VAST MAJORITY who claim to be AT thru-hikers are mostly section hikers. Think about!! If you have not completed AT LEAST ONE THRU-HIKE and are desiring to be LABELED as a thru-hiker and are currently on trail seeking to complete the AT YOU ARE A THRU-HIKING STUDENT IN TRAINING TO BE PROPERLY CALLED A THRU-HIKER! You are only currently taking the examination to be PROPERLY LABELED AS A THRU-HIKER!

Dogwood's answer is proof of why THIS is so important: (http://www.appalachiantrail.org/hiking/thru-section-hiking/faqs) HOW DOES THE ATC DEFINE THRU-HIKING?
We don't. The ATC uses the term "2,000-miler" as a matter of tradition and convenience. ATC defines a "2,000-miler" as anyone who has hiked the entire Trail between Springer Mountain in Georgia and Katahdin in Maine. We don't consider issues such as the sequence, direction, speed or whether one carries a pack. We do expect that persons applying for inclusion in our 2,000-miler records have made an honest effort to walk the entire Trail.

Coosa
04-23-2013, 08:26
This is exactly what I was going to say...but I think it is a valuable journal to read because like you say, this is the way many "thruhikers" end up. We need more of these kinds of stories posted here because most people who quit, especailly after only a few miles, just quietly leave the trail, which leaves the more typical AT hiker story untold.

For someone to travel so far and go to such expense only to hike a few miles and then turn around and go back the same way after what most thruhikers would consider to be a small setback just underscores the fact that there was no real committment to go any distance...at the first sign of trouble he bailed like most people do.

Which is why I wrote my little article about what I'd learned as I prepare for my Senior Thru Hike ... I hope it will soon be a White Blaze article after I submit it next week --- Here's the forum post: http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?94514-Suggestions-for-Senior-Thru-Hikers

When I submit it, I'll leave out "Thru" ... and yes, it's pretty decent advice for all of us, but we 'Seniors' often need a bigger 'reality check' than you 'Youngsters' do ... in my not too humble opinion.

LoL ... All you have to do is hike, the Trail will take care of the rest.
Coosa

HikerMom58
04-23-2013, 08:37
max patch speaks truth. not some pussy-ass comfort talk

Again Lone Wolf.. you can spin it any way you want. I would describe Tw's post as straight up & civil. She's asking him to explain things, himself. What a concept!

I will not deny the fact that goedde2 did not leave himself wide open to criticism. He most certainly did. I have no problem with him being called on any of those things but it's how it's handled that matters.
If you choose to be Billy bad ass, go right ahead. That choice accomplishes 2 things. #1. You reveal who you are, as a person. #2 You can/do expect a "fight" from the other person. I truly believe the things that I just described are exactly why a person chooses that behavior. Even the questioning seems like part of the game. So yeah, I agree with you, max patch speaks truth and does so in a manner of his own choosing.

scudder
04-23-2013, 09:33
If this thread had been titled "My crappy hike" the discussion might have less critical. Thru hiking is not for everyone. Expectations and reality are often two different things. There's an awesome trail name lurking- I suggest Candid or Sherlock. I am seriously considering adding baby wipes to my kit.

perdidochas
04-23-2013, 09:58
I merely expressed my opinion about how the wilderness and the general AT AND YNP romantic mindset most people have about each of these places is being exploited for personal gain by AT guides AND YNP "outfitters", by comparing the two, which IMHO does not set well with ME. You can think whatever you want. Get it? Probably not, because you cannot even grasp the idea of free enterprise and how it works. These guides and outfitters don't work in any "service industry". They work for themselves, and their own pocket books. NOW, do you get it? I doubt it.

It is a service industry. They are providing a service, which is a safe way for people to at least see the beginning of the AT. Yes, they are making money. What do you want, for them to do it free? If you feel that way, then you need to start an organization for that. The thing is, people want to hike part of the AT for whatever reason. These guides provide them a way to do it. These people might not ever enjoy some of those vistas if it weren't for the tour guide. Sounds like everybody (but you) is happy with that arrangement.

Spirit Bear
04-23-2013, 11:08
Tell me again EXACTLY where, when, and how I made fun of ANYONE, old or young. Did you even look at or understand the thread title? Obviously you just jumped on the crusade and started forming your own opinions and posting at my expense via yet another personal attack. Just how is it that you got the notion everyone sees me as a "100 year old that can't hack the trail and only have a fantasy about what it is"? Oh, that's right, you're the expert that's done it all. That might be YOUR opinion, but don't make the assumption it's everyone's opinion. Oh, that's right, I forgot, you've done a whopping 30 miles last summer and now qualified yourself as the expert. I've been out there off and on since 2005, but I guess I still have yet to understand myself what the AT is all about. That all started when i lived in Dunwoody myself, on Vermack Road, and took many trips to the AT and Amicalola Falls, because it's only a 2 hour drive away. Let's not forget about the hundreds of miles I hiked, winter and summer in YNP, up to and including the 8500 + elevations, when I lived there for 14 months.

If anyone needs to be thankful for what the trail has taught them, that would be YOU, because, IMHO you're going to need all the help you can get, just to make it to Unicoi Gap, if you even know where that is, which I doubt.

I feel sorry for you, you're not balanced and need to be on medication. It's clear reading these posts, I hope to never encounter you on the trail.

Spirit Bear
04-23-2013, 11:14

Also in a couple of weeks I am hiking from Neel's gap to Standing indian. I will post some pics and updates on the hike on here. I am well aware of Unicoi gap, I hiked from there to tray mtn late last summer and encountered 4 bears alone and didnt even **** myself.

But I don't need to get on Whiteblaze to boast about anything, this board is for the AT community and I know my place as you should to.

You didnt hike the 2nd hardest section of the AT, ignorance is bliss.

goedde2
04-23-2013, 14:34

Maybe you can understand this. I'm giving you the benefit of doubt, but try hard, you may get it, or not, because obviously, you just think you have it, which couldn't be further from the truth. First of all, my "OP" was posted to THE CLASS OF 2013, not put out there so the regulars on WB, like yourself, with their inflated egos and self-centered adulation, could scrutinize, ridicule, and take out of context, every single aspect of that post, and turn it into a mockery of insults, unwarranted accusations, off topic and off color speculation, concentrating the focus on themselves, in hopes of gathering support from folks just like themselves, trolling with the same intent, no matter where the "OP" happens to be.

What possible difference could it make how anyone gets to the trail? Who, except yourself would take the time to post that? You are more interested in bringing up what could happen to someone who becomes violently ill, and making a mockery of that, than show any concern for the well being of that individual. You were not there. You were not aware of my condition. You were not faced with a difficult decision, as I was, having to decide to continue on to Franklkn 35 miles away, or go another direction 6 miles away. It was MY decision, NOT yours. Your assumptions are just like the word broken down, describing you exactly.

Name one time I called anyone an idiot. Name one time I called anyone a moron. If your shoe fits in this scenario, and IMHO, I am sure it does, then wear it. If I had any reason to say "screw it", or in this case "to", it would be you, not to my decision, which FYI, according to my doctor who just happens to live where I live, not on the AT, advised me it was the best thing I could have done because of extenuating circumstances I was unaware of before l left, none of which I will ever share with you or any of your like minded cohorts on WB. In his own words, " If you hadn't gotten off the AT when you did, and come in to see me, you might not have gotten off at all".

So, go find another thread to shred, enjoy yourself, laugh it up, get that post count up. Do what you do best.

Chaco Taco
04-23-2013, 15:22
Maybe you can understand this. I'm giving you the benefit of doubt, but try hard, you may get it, or not, because obviously, you just think you have it, which couldn't be further from the truth. First of all, my "OP" was posted to THE CLASS OF 2013, not put out there so the regulars on WB, like yourself, with their inflated egos (Let's not forget about the hundreds of miles I hiked, winter and summer in YNP, up to and including the 8500 + elevations, when I lived there for 14 months.) and self-centered adulation, could scrutinize, ridicule, and take out of context, every single aspect of that post, and turn it into a mockery of insults, unwarranted accusations, off topic and off color speculation, concentrating the focus on themselves, in hopes of gathering support from folks just like themselves, trolling with the same intent, no matter where the "OP" happens to be.

What possible difference could it make how anyone gets to the trail? Who, except yourself would take the time to post that? You are more interested in bringing up what could happen to someone who becomes violently ill, and making a mockery of that, than show any concern for the well being of that individual. You were not there. You were not aware of my condition. You were not faced with a difficult decision, as I was, having to decide to continue on to Franklkn 35 miles away, or go another direction 6 miles away. It was MY decision, NOT yours. Your assumptions are just like the word broken down, describing you exactly.

Name one time I called anyone an idiot. Name one time I called anyone a moron (Pretty much here---.(Obviously your moronic implications that a comparison between YNP outfitters some of whom I know personally, and you don't, with another "AT Guide", who was doing the same thing, using the wilderness to their advantage, and claiming it was just an unrelated criticism, significantly demonstrates your inability to comprehend any understanding of the facts. If your shoe fits in this scenario, and IMHO, I am sure it does, then wear it. If I had any reason to say "screw it", or in this case "to", it would be you, not to my decision, which FYI, according to my doctor who just happens to live where I live, not on the AT, advised me it was the best thing I could have done because of extenuating circumstances I was unaware of before l left, none of which I will ever share with you or any of your like minded cohorts on WB. In his own words, " If you hadn't gotten off the AT when you did, and come in to see me, you might not have gotten off at all".

So, go find another thread to shred, enjoy yourself, laugh it up, get that post count up. Do what you do best.

I do not really understand this thread and think the OP should really mind his tone. I mean, it wont get you anywhere. When you talk about how WB is this and that, you pretty much prove that point with your little outburst. No one needs to know that you went home because you s*** your pants. Honestly, who the hell cares why you went home? I think you used it as an excuse to get off the trail based on what I read from you. Claiming the GA section is the second hardest section is just silly. Im curious, with your hiking experience, have you actually done the NH and Maine sections? Im just curious because saying the GA section is the second hardest section without having done all of the trail makes no sense. Just my opinion

jj2044
04-23-2013, 15:31
LOL well the whole thread is dumb" Just finished the 2nd hardest section on the AT"... because while I admit my math skills kind of suck, im PRETTTY sure Plumorchard Gap shelter isn't where the state line is.... well at least when I FINISHED "the 2nd hardest section on the AT" it was about 4 miles PAST that shelter.. so the title is wrong it should say " I ALMOST finished the 2nd hardest section on the AT..... before I shat myself and quit"

Chaco Taco
04-23-2013, 15:33
Also I read where you packed up your clothing in a bag, but you said nothing about packing out or burying the s*** on the ground in camp/Shelter area around that log you were sitting on. I figured with the detail you used about "oatmeal fresh of the oven" you would have indicated if you buried it or not. Just checking to make sure you didnt leave a surprise for anyone that sat on that log later. LNT pack it in pack it out :)

Lone Wolf
04-23-2013, 15:33
Again Lone Wolf.. you can spin it any way you want. I would describe Tw's post as straight up & civil. She's asking him to explain things, himself. What a concept!

I will not deny the fact that goedde2 did not leave himself wide open to criticism. He most certainly did. I have no problem with him being called on any of those things but it's how it's handled that matters.
If you choose to be Billy bad ass, go right ahead. That choice accomplishes 2 things. #1. You reveal who you are, as a person. #2 You can/do expect a "fight" from the other person. I truly believe the things that I just described are exactly why a person chooses that behavior. Even the questioning seems like part of the game. So yeah, I agree with you, max patch speaks truth and does so in a manner of his own choosing.
being straight forward doesn't make me "billy bad ass". i got no time for BS and cutesy wording

Chaco Taco
04-23-2013, 15:37

You really need to let go of this trying to change people thing you got going on, no offense :)

jj2044
04-23-2013, 16:02
All I know is if everyone got off the AT and went home every time they got a tummy ache, upset stomach only like 2 people would finish every year lol. the attitude is what bugged me. the" I want to be on the AT", but he quits within 5 miles. the attitude when someone DARED to camp near him ( what a-holes right ?I mean what do they think, this is a free country or something ??) and im sure if he would of had some BALLs ( or lady balls) and kindly told them the situation, that he was sick and would like some quiet time to try and get better, they would of left no questions asked. and on top of that trying to almost brag about finishing the GA section..... when you DIDNT finish it... oh yea and someone dared to set on HISSSSS rock! lol

Rasty
04-23-2013, 16:04
This has been the best thread of the first half of 2013. Thanks!

Tinker
04-23-2013, 16:11

Not by a long shot. (If NH - specifically the White Mountains - and more specifically, the Presidential Range is the hardest).

Southwestern Maine (the Mahoosucs) is the 2nd hardest. ;)

Georgia was a piece of cake for me at the age of 52.

.........but I'm not everybody, either - I cut my hiking teeth in the mountains of NH, and that's what I expected "hard" to be. :)

Jalum
04-23-2013, 16:13
I just want him to realize that if he's covered in diarrhea, baby wipes will not suffice to "disinfect" him. Especially when he still "smells like ****" after his attempted cleanup. If this had happened a few weeks earlier I would have put money on him originating the stomach virus on the AT right now.

max patch
04-23-2013, 16:14
Let me see if I can help you here, max patch...

Well, gee thanks, but in the future if I want your help I'll ask for it.

The Old Chief
04-23-2013, 16:14
"Name one time I called anyone an idiot. Name one time I called anyone a moron. If your shoe fits in this scenario, and IMHO, I am sure it does, then wear it."

Well, actually, you did, in posts 44 and 48 and in the quote above. I've not posted a lot on WB and was unaware I wasn't supposed to read anything written for the class of 2013. I'll try to do better in the future.

max patch
04-23-2013, 16:15
Is this whats its like in the cafe?

Rasty
04-23-2013, 16:17
Not by a long shot. (If NH - specifically the White Mountains - and more specifically, the Presidential Range is the hardest).

Southwestern Maine (the Mahoosucs) is the 2nd hardest. ;)

Georgia was a piece of cake for me at the age of 52.

.........but I'm not everybody, either - I cut my hiking teeth in the mountains of NH, and that's what I expected "hard" to be. :)

I was being sarcastic! Of course Georgia is not the Second hardest portion of the AT. Everyone knows the 2nd Hardest portion is South Carolina!

hikerboy57
04-23-2013, 16:18

there are no arguments in the cafe.

Rasty
04-23-2013, 16:19

Much less focused! You wouldn't be able to keep up!

Malto
04-23-2013, 16:20
Ok, this whole bashing over the 2nd hardest has become silly, if it wasn't from the start. I suspect that the OP was referencing the following info that mapman put out about each state and the gain and loss. So, it is 100% true by this standard, and only this standard that Georgia is the second hardest state. So here is the suspected source from mapman.

Table 2 -- Average Elevation Gain and Loss, by State

AVG~~~MILES~~~STATE
307.........76.1.........Georgia
272........380.8........North Carolina/Tennessee
241........535.7........Virginia
173.........17.5.........West Virginia
157.........40.9.........Maryland
135........229.3........Pennsylvania
160.........72.4.........New Jersey
217.........88.2.........New York
215.........51.6.........Connecticut
208.........90.2.........Massachusetts
239........149.8........Vermont
329........161.0........New Hampshire
242........286.6........Maine

New Hampshire is the hilliest, followed by Georgia, which might surprise some. Least hilly are those four middle states, West Virginia, Maryland, Pennsylvania and New Jersey. Most closely resembling the entire AT for average elevation gain and loss are Vermont, Virginia and Maine, although Maine achieves this by averaging the two extremes of gentler east and rugged west, as I've already mentioned.

now back to the regularly scheduled bickering. :)

jj2044
04-23-2013, 16:21
I was being sarcastic! Of course Georgia is not the Second hardest portion of the AT. Everyone knows the 2nd Hardest portion is South Carolina!

I always thought the 2nd hardest section was that hill in Hiawassee, you know the one with the all you can eat buffet at the top... that was rough

Tinker
04-23-2013, 16:21

I would NEVER do that.

Bravo!

"Thrubies" is a term that I use for people attempting their first thruhike. I'm not sure whether or not I heard someone else using it before I did, but I think it says it all.

The term in no way minimalizes the effort necessary to attempt a thruhike, it just says that they are "newbies" at "thruhiking".

Once they have completed the trail in one continuous trip (usually within a 12 month period, according to the traditional meaning of the term) they are bona-fide "thruhikers".

If a person thinks that they need to have completed the whole Trail in one shot to be a "real" hiker they are as mistaken as I was when I thought of myself as a "real hiker" because I did a long weekend hike.

I'm still not sure what a "real" hiker is. :confused: ;) :)

Tinker
04-23-2013, 16:25
I always thought the 2nd hardest section was that hill in Hiawassee, you know the one with the all you can eat buffet at the top... that was rough

That is a long walk for a starving hiker, and the anticipation is likely to nearly kill a person. :D

jj2044
04-23-2013, 16:28
That is a long walk for a starving hiker, and the anticipation is likely to nearly kill a person. :D

exactly !!!and the walk down is rough too, I have never been that stuffed before, I thought I was going to be sick

CrumbSnatcher
04-23-2013, 16:36
what the hell is wrong with Andy Griffith re-runs? got to be un-American to not like Andy Griffith! I'd love to live somewhere between Mayberry and Walton's mountain

Slo-go'en
04-23-2013, 16:38
I'm at the budget inn in Hiawassie, so guess I'm about done with the 2nd hardest section. Yee haa! Still a lot of folks out here...

max patch
04-23-2013, 16:39
what the hell is wrong with Andy Griffith re-runs? got to be un-American to not like Andy Griffith! I'd love to live somewhere between Mayberry and Walton's mountain

I love the episode when Andy and Aunt Bee were driving to Mt Pilot and she crapped her pants.

HikerMom58
04-23-2013, 16:54
Well, gee thanks, but in the future if I want your help I'll ask for it.

You said you didn't understand... I thought I'd help you understand, that's all. Gee... thanks.:p

CrumbSnatcher
04-23-2013, 16:55
thought I watched every episode at least once, I guess not:-?

HikerMom58
04-23-2013, 16:55
I'm at the budget inn in Hiawassie, so guess I'm about done with the 2nd hardest section. Yee haa! Still a lot of folks out here...

Yee Haw ...Slo glow' en!! Have more fun out there for us!!! :)

jj2044
04-23-2013, 17:00
I love the episode when Andy and Aunt Bee were driving to Mt Pilot and she crapped her pants.

Did they turn around and go home ?

rickb
04-23-2013, 17:06
Let's everyone stop picking on Max Patch.

Train Wreck
04-23-2013, 17:24

To my knowledge, no one has ever crapped himself in the cafe. But I came dangerously close to p**ing myself laughing at this thread. I FREAKING LOVE WB!

rocketsocks
04-23-2013, 17:35
If this thread had been titled "My crappy hike" the discussion might have less critical. Thru hiking is not for everyone. Expectations and reality are often two different things. There's an awesome trail name lurking- I suggest Candid or Sherlock. I am seriously considering adding baby wipes to my kit.Baby wipes are part of my kit, when you get older losing your gripper on the up hills is a very real situation. ;)

Another Kevin
04-23-2013, 17:36
What's the toughest section?

I've said it before. The hardest section of the trail is the hardest one for you.

What do I remember as the hardest section I've done?

#1. Smarts Mountain. I took a bad fall on wet rock in a thunderstorm and sprained a knee. I had to hobble back down to the road by the Dartmouth Skiway with big burly guys holding me up on either side (while a third big burly guy took my pack).

#2. Moosilauke, the Glencliff trail. I picked up a stomach bug and started puking on the trail. I was badly dehydrated by the time I made it back down Gorge Brook to the Ravine Lodge, because I couldn't keep anything down.

#3. Harriman from Elk Pen to Tiorati. I was eleven years old, a horribly out of shape geeky city kid, and by far the youngest of the group of kids I was with. Everyone else had reached puberty and had some upper body strength, and they just powered up the Lemon Squeezer hand-over-hand. Nobody told me that it's as easy as climbing a ladder if you work out where to put your feet - including the "adult leadership" who thought it was more productive to poke fun at the wimpy kid. (To this day, I don't know why that experience failed to put me off hiking altogether.)

#4. Beaver Brook on Moosilauke SOBO. OK. This section, finally among the ones I list, actually is kind of tough. And I ran into unforecast June snow. The Whites are just so delightful.

Note that my top 3 "toughest sections" had little or nothing to do with the amount of elevation gain or the number of miles or any similar metric. But for me, they were horrible. (And I've done Moosilauke without finding it horrible, it just wasn't one of those two times!)

What's a thru-hiker?

I used to be in the faction that said, "you're not a through-hiker until you're through hiking." But I suppose that I can concede extending the term to someone who's still on trail making a thru-hike attempt. In that case, we need another term, and I suppose ATC's "2000-miler" will do, for those who complete the attempt. (And I'm willing to give the same accolade to those who do it in sections. Arguably, that's harder; you do a lot more of it without your "trail legs", and you don't get all the support that the Trail Angels offer to the would-be thru-hikers.)

What's the A-T for?

Benton Mackaye's vision never included thru-hiking! He foresaw a chain of camps that could be retreats for city folk who needed time back in nature to recharge. I suspect that the gaggle of geriatric hikers was closer to the original vision than the thru-hiking community of today.

Is there a place for paid guides conducting groups?

Why the heck not? At least the tour groups are getting out a little bit. They surely aren't getting the whole experience, but it sure beats sitting in the city staring off at distant mountains and wondering what they're like. None of us was born knowing how to backpack! If people feel more comfortable starting off with baby steps and paying a guide to watch out for them, well, at least they started off.

Is there a place for all the chips that people in this thread are proudly displaying on their shoulders?

No.

HikerMom58
04-23-2013, 17:39
To my knowledge, no one has ever crapped himself in the cafe. But I came dangerously close to p**ing myself laughing at this thread. I FREAKING LOVE WB!

I can't stop laughing....

Rasty
04-23-2013, 17:45

I can't stop laughing....

I think HB did?

rocketsocks
04-23-2013, 17:48
I have a confession.....

should probably move the tater mach. away from the bottom of the climbing wall, proximity is everything.

Train Wreck
04-23-2013, 18:21
Let's everyone stop picking on Max Patch.

:confused:Max patch is a big boy, he can take care of himself, besides, he didn't even show up till page 3 or thereabouts

slow mind
04-23-2013, 18:25
thought I watched every episode at least once, I guess not:-?

Me too, back to the TV for me.

Venchka
04-23-2013, 19:00
OP:
Please tell me that you were not raised in the South. Surely you must be a transplant. Where, exactly, did you learn to be "crude, rude & socially unacceptable"?
Or are you really a Troll and laughing hysterically while congratulating yourself on your ability to torque all of our buttons?
"Inquiring minds want to know."

Wayne

Almost There
04-23-2013, 19:41
OP:
Please tell me that you were not raised in the South. Surely you must be a transplant. Where, exactly, did you learn to be "crude, rude & socially unacceptable"?
Or are you really a Troll and laughing hysterically while congratulating yourself on your ability to torque all of our buttons?
"Inquiring minds want to know."

Wayne

Venchka there are plenty of rude, crude, and socially unacceptable folks from the south. Just because you talk about someone with an "aw shucks...bless his/her heart," doesn't make it not rude depending on the topic of gossip.:rolleyes: That being said, the OP does have a certain...attitude about him, which is impressive, because usually when one kraps their pants, it tends to knock one down a peg.;)

In other words, I agree with you that he was rude, and crude, but being a transplant living in Georgia for the past eleven years, I take exception to the statement that only transplants could be that rude.:D

Almost There
04-23-2013, 19:42
I've hiked Georgia a few times now, and I can say without a doubt that Maine in the rain beats Georgia in difficulty by a factor of ten.

Rasty
04-23-2013, 20:21

Did they turn around and go home ?

It was the episode with the sour pickles.

Chaco Taco
04-23-2013, 20:29
I've hiked Georgia a few times now, and I can say without a doubt that Maine in the rain beats Georgia in difficulty by a factor of ten.
Dude I feel ya....

Donde
04-23-2013, 21:10
Am I the only one who is amused by everyone making fun of the "2nd hardest section" claim while letting the "finished" thing go?

Capt Nat
04-23-2013, 21:19
A five gallon load of mush in ure longhandles.... I don't think it gets much harder than that....

Almost There
04-23-2013, 21:49
Am I the only one who is amused by everyone making fun of the "2nd hardest section" claim while letting the "finished" thing go?

Why make fun? It takes a big man to admit he "KRAPPED" out!:banana

Venchka
04-23-2013, 22:45
Venchka there are plenty of rude, crude, and socially unacceptable folks from the south. Just because you talk about someone with an "aw shucks...bless his/her heart," doesn't make it not rude depending on the topic of gossip.:rolleyes: That being said, the OP does have a certain...attitude about him, which is impressive, because usually when one kraps their pants, it tends to knock one down a peg.;)

In other words, I agree with you that he was rude, and crude, but being a transplant living in Georgia for the past eleven years, I take exception to the statement that only transplants could be that rude.:D

Fair enough. I apologize if I offended anyone.
I reckon the OP is self made, regardless of geographic influences and background.
One day I will learn to ban myself from discussions like this.
I need a good long distance hike warm up. Big Bend is calling.

Wayne

hikerboy57
04-23-2013, 22:51
I think HB did?

It was a fart,i swear.

WILLIAM HAYES
04-23-2013, 22:59
give it up too much talk

Train Wreck
04-23-2013, 23:25
It was a fart,i swear.

Methinks the offender doth protest too much.
so does Mr. Hayes, apparently :D

S'more
04-25-2013, 18:00
It was a fart,i swear.
That's what they all say. Usually.