PDA

View Full Version : AT Maps

YesICan
04-22-2013, 04:19
How many hikers use them on the trail? Generally I always hike with a map and compass. Weight
is an issue for me. The State of Me has 7 maps. Please advise.
YesICan

jeffmeh
04-22-2013, 04:53
I believe most thru-hikers take one of the guides and forego the maps. For most of the trip, it is easy to follow the trail, and you are not too far from civilization even if you get lost. That said, if you are heading into a section where you may encounter severe weather and need to retreat to lower elevations or to civilization, a map would be a very good idea, as your best route may take you off the AT.

Starchild
04-22-2013, 07:20
I use the map app AT trail for the iPhone. Sometimes google maps when possible.

bigcranky
04-22-2013, 08:15
Some hikers swear by the maps, others don't take them at all. I like using maps, but that would get unwieldy on a thru. You could look at the AT map books (http://postholer.com/mapbooks/index.php?trail_id=3) and the AT Pocket Profiles (http://www.antigravitygear.com/pocket-profile-appalachian-trail-elevation-profile-map.html).

I think I'd take the map books on a thru -- just need three mail drops to pick up the next book.

fredmugs
04-22-2013, 08:34
Do you take any electronic technology with you? You can scan and upload files to a phone or a Kindle. If you bring a GPS you get the GPX track files in advance.

I usually condense the thru hikers guide onto an Excel spreadhseet and bring that along with the maps.

Jack Tarlin
04-22-2013, 11:07
This subject has come up many times before. You will undoubtedly hear from all sorts of folks who tell you that the Trail is so well marked and traveled that one doesn't need maps. The simple truth is that everyone uses Trail maps frequently, except many folks choose to use those paid for, and carried, by other people. Unless one is traversing a piece of land one owns, or grew up on, or knows intimately, the prudent hiker always carries a current map of the area and knows how to read/use it. Your $4.99 map may prove remarkably helpful, may even save a life, long after one's $500.00 electronic device or gadget has stopped working. Anyone that says they did the whole Trail without ever using a map is simply not telling the truth.

max patch
04-22-2013, 12:33
AT pocket profile isn't help you get off the trail RIGHT NOW in the case of an emergency.