PDA

View Full Version : Mail Drops

LAS
04-22-2013, 07:26
Where can I find an updated list of suggested mail drops?

Jack Tarlin
04-22-2013, 10:05
There's a delay in my posts getting printed, so someone else may have already answered this, but all of this information can be found in either one of the two principal Trail guides, The A.T. Guide, or The Thru-Hikers Companion. Also, be aware that most contemporary hikers, at least as far as food parcels are concerned, send very few maildrops, preferring instead to get their food while en route.

FarmerChef
04-22-2013, 11:19
Check out The A.T. Guide by David "Awol" Miller or the Companion by Sly. Either one will have updated mail drop information as of when they were updated for 2013. As for mid year updates, sometimes you can find them on the ATC's website. It's more important to know if you plan to mail all your drops ahead. If you are just going to mail a box and then bump it ahead it's much easier as the post office staff could probably help you figure out if the particular post office you want to bump to is open.

LAS
04-22-2013, 11:50
There's a delay in my posts getting printed, so someone else may have already answered this, but all of this information can be found in either one of the two principal Trail guides, The A.T. Guide, or The Thru-Hikers Companion. Also, be aware that most contemporary hikers, at least as far as food parcels are concerned, send very few maildrops, preferring instead to get their food while en route.
Whats the best way of getting food while en route? How often do you restock?

flemdawg1
04-22-2013, 12:19
Whats the best way of getting food while en route? How often do you restock?

Grocery stores in town, every 3-5 days on average.

bigcranky
04-22-2013, 12:21
If you're on a strict diet -- vegan, say, or gluten free -- maildrops are your best bet. Otherwise, there are plenty of grocery stores, small country markets, etc., along the trail, usually within a short walk or hitch.

LAS
04-24-2013, 14:08
Grocery stores in town, every 3-5 days on average.
Great! Thanks so much!