PDA

View Full Version : JMT 2013 - Weather

i_Hike
04-22-2013, 11:52
Chatter on Whiteblaze-JMT seems to have been fairly slow over the past month or so, while we wait for weather to run its course. However, I will be setting out for California in only about 5 1/2 weeks.

-As of today, 04-22, it looks as though snow water content is right in line with record lows. (down to 17% of normal over the Southern half of the Sierra). Central Sierra a bit higher
-High temps in the mid 70's in Yosemite (4000 ft +/-) for the foreseeable future.
- mid to upper 60's in Mammoth Lakes (8000 ft +/-)

So far so good

Coffee
04-22-2013, 12:20
I'm mildly concerned about water on my JMT hike starting in late August ... But this is indeed good news for early thru hikes and of course for PCT thrus...

wcgornto
04-22-2013, 16:37
Fits well with my June 30 - July 14 time frame.

Dogwood
04-22-2013, 16:58
You Sierra JMTers and PCTer for early June are GOLDEN! Good to go! SOBOI JMTers possibly even better! Perfect actually IMHO because the peaks will still have a bit of snow in early June making the Sierras IMHO even more scenic. Turning out to be a decent yr to possibly hit the Sierras a little earlier for NOBO PCTers too entering the Sierras at KM. Don't sweat the water situation on the JMT for late June into late Aug either. The JMT isn't a DRY trail. Plenty of reliable water sources even in lower than avg snowfall or snow water content yrs.

Dogwood
04-22-2013, 17:05
BTW, just a detail but snow water content and snow pack amounts are directly correlated but two slightly different things. High water content means, at least to me, heavier wetter snow, sometimes taking longer to melt. Less water content in the snow means, at least to me, it is fluffier, easier to push through, and tends to melt off faster. That's just the very brief and incomplete way of thinking about it, at least for me.

Coffee
04-22-2013, 17:18
Don't sweat the water situation on the JMT for late June into late Aug either. The JMT isn't a DRY trail. Plenty of reliable water sources even in lower than avg snowfall or snow water content yrs.

I know that is true in general but there was some talk on the Yahoo group about Sunrise sometimes not having water for backpackers in dry years (although the high sierra camp would bring in water for guests). That would imply a pretty long uphill stretch from Little Yosemite Valley if Sunrise Creek is also dry. Overall, I doubt water will be a problem. Only 4 months until I leave for CA.

Dogwood
04-22-2013, 17:43
There are other water sources near Sunrise High Camp and as you head SOBO JMT you will likely hit some rills BEFORE reaching SunriseHC. Some of the Sierra High Camps use copious amounts of water(I know some of the High Camps have showers for example) and therefore in the DRIEST OF YRS may limit water usage to only that which is ABSOLUTELY NECESSARY. If at all concerned about water availability inquire at the Back Country Office in Yosemite Valley(where you can pick up your JMT permit) before hitting the Happy Isles TH.

i_Hike
04-22-2013, 19:00
I have pretty much ruled out the need for an ice ax in June, however, what are your opinions regarding need for Yaktrax or Kahtoola microspikes given these conditions? I still expect long stretches of snow covered trail at high elevation... correct?

Malto
04-22-2013, 20:43
Micro spikes are such a personal decision but if you have them I would take them if starting early June, not after the 15th. You can get by without them in all situations but it could speed up early morning movement which is helpful if you are trying to get over a pass such as Muir before the sun softens the snow and postholer city occurs.

agree with Dogwood on the water. Couple of drier sections but nothing major. There is generally a small stream late season on the miserable climb up to Sunset. Bear ridge is also dry.

Dogwood
04-22-2013, 22:29
IMO, June is typically a swing month in the Sierras or particularly on the JMT and PCT. Conditions can change FAST in just a few(couple of) wks but then weather can get cooler and the thaw can be put on hold or slow for a bit. I hesitate to say what's appropriate FOR YOU because I am not you but in this yr if things continue as they have been going and was doing the JMT SOBO I - MEANING ME - wouldn't carry Kahtoola micro spikes or ice axe but I know the JMT/PCT route and the Sierras well enough and am comfortable on snow and ice and select Sierra hiking shoes with better than avg traction.

Kanook
04-23-2013, 10:04
I know that is true in general but there was some talk on the Yahoo group about Sunrise sometimes not having water for backpackers in dry years (although the high sierra camp would bring in water for guests). That would imply a pretty long uphill stretch from Little Yosemite Valley if Sunrise Creek is also dry. Overall, I doubt water will be a problem. Only 4 months until I leave for CA.

Last summer - another dry year - I was at Sunrise camp on July 29th, or 30th and it was dry. We were able to get water at the Sunrise High Sierra Camp but one guy gave us a hard time over it. The guy said we could only take 1L each (we actually got about 4L each). We camped at the Echo Lake Junction. There was water in Sunrise Creek southbound of Little Yosemite Valley, and we passed by another barely flowing creek in the meadow just below Columbia Finger, but it was stagnant. The next water we saw was at Cathedral Lakes. This year I am planning on camping at Sunrise Creek and carrying enough water to get me to Cathedral Lakes.

The other dry spots are leading up to Duck Pass Junction, Bear Ridge, and after Pinchot Pass. None of them are more than 3 or 4 hours hiking so it is not a big issue if you plan accordingly.

DaFireMedic
04-23-2013, 16:32

You shouldn't have any water issues. There's been enough rainfall to where its very unlikely that Sunrise creek would be too dry to get water from. There is always water supplies even in the dry years, and there won't be any stretches longer than about 5-6 miles without water (the longest is the Duck Pass junction that Kanook mentioned, about 5-6 miles between sources). I was camped along Sunrise creek July 28th last year, no problems with water at all. Sunrise creek was running nicely where we camped and along much of the big climb up toward the High Sierra Camp. We got water from the meadow just past High Sierra camp (I'm not sure if its the one that Kanook mentioned, but it was flowing well enough that I wasn't concerned at all about drinking it after filtering). We never had to carry "extra" water anywhere coming out of the valley and never really had to carry more than a liter each the entire hike, although we probably carried 2 liters or so in a few areas just to be sure.

mxracer33x
04-25-2013, 19:32
Fits well with my June 30 - July 14 time frame.
That's my plan too. SOBO, Enjoy!
We could still end up with some more snow, it has happened, but unlikely. I even considered moving it up to early June but both my daughters birthdays are in June, so this was better than, my original August 1 departure.

Kanook
04-25-2013, 21:12
We never had to carry "extra" water anywhere coming out of the valley and never really had to carry more than a liter each the entire hike, although we probably carried 2 liters or so in a few areas just to be sure.

You can save a lot of weight by not carrying too much water. My first JMT in 2009 I was carrying 3L at a time, and was constantly frustrated every time I passed a stream I could have got water at. In 2011, and 2012 I usually carried 1.2L which was two full SOBE 600ml bottles. I like them because they have a long neck that I can easily reach from the side pocket of my pack (Gossamer Gear Marriposa) while hiking.

Alex Brott
05-06-2013, 14:27
I'd always heard there was no lack of water on the JMT as well, but will we hit problems on a September trip? I wouldn't usually be worried but in a year like this I'd like to be careful.

Dogwood
05-06-2013, 16:12
I'd always heard there was no lack of water on the JMT as well, but will we hit problems on a September trip? I wouldn't usually be worried but in a year like this I'd like to be careful.

Being PREPARED is one thing. Worry is another thing. The two shouldn't be confused! WORRY IS NOTHING BUT FEAR IN DISGUISE! What you are really saying is that you FEAR a lack of water. You fear the unknown. You fear being independent. You fear pushing the boundary of your present comfort zones. Gotta tell ya - Backpacking entails HAPPILY and CONFIDENTLY EMBRACING ALL of those traits. Those that fail to embrace such things don't do thru-hikes.

If you let problems develop or see things as a problem there will always be problems. That's not to say problems can't or don't exist but you are beating this water thing to death. The JMT is located in the Sierras not the desert. Does it make you feel any better if I said there was a water spigot recently installed every five miles on the JMT? You don't need to know everything about the JMT or even the water sources to enjoy hiking the JMT. Is it that BIG a Deal that you MIGHT only locate H20 every 5-6-7 miles or so? If so perhaps you are better served behind a computer or going shopping at WalMart. I know. It sounds harsh and judgmental but PLEASE ALLOW YOURSELF to grow. ALLOW yourself to happily hike WITHOUT FEELING THE NEED to know everything. Go outside, Go take a hike. Enjoy yourself on the JMT. Let the adventure unfold. Plenty of water in the Sierras. Where do you think much of that water that Los Angelenos wash their cars with, water their lawns, and fill up their swimming pools originates?

DaFireMedic
05-06-2013, 16:15
No, you wont, at least nothing that would significantly hinder your hike. I'd never tell you that it could never happen, but again its very unlikely.The worst case scenario would be that you would have to carry a bit more water once you get past the Merced river (never really dries up) a little ways after Nevada Falls. Your packs will still be lighter than in sections on the southern half of the trail, even if you resupply in LeConte.

1Greywolf
05-07-2013, 11:07
I'm mildly concerned about water on my JMT hike starting in late August ... But this is indeed good news for early thru hikes and of course for PCT thrus...
Thanks for the weather up-date. I'm planning to treat the water with "aquamira Part A and B" during my 7/12 - JMT SOBO hike. Should I or does anyone recommend to also carry a water filter?

DaFireMedic
05-07-2013, 14:36
Thanks for the weather up-date. I'm planning to treat the water with "aquamira Part A and B" during my 7/12 - JMT SOBO hike. Should I or does anyone recommend to also carry a water filter?
Everyone is going to have a preference on this, whether it be Aqua Mira, Filters, or Steripen. None are wrong. I took a Sawyer inline filter and my son took a Steripen. I like the filter for the volumes of water we could treat, but we ended up using the Steripen the most for one reason: JMT water is arguably the most refreshing water on the planet, true mountain stream water, and the Steripen is the only one that didnt affect the taste. Next time, it will be just the Steripen with a few chemical tabs to back it up.

To answer your question, Aqua Mira is the lightest option and theres no need to carry a second option, unless you want the convenience of drinking the water with no wait time. Most people I encountered using Aqua Mira or other chemical treatment were doing so for the weight savings and were not carrying other means of treatment.

mxracer33x
05-07-2013, 16:05
I only use my AquaMira drops for water that I feel would need to be treated, and I've only been doing this for the last 2 years in the high sierra. For unknown (to me) water sources in the sierra's I look at maps and see what might affect the drainage and make an educated guess as to if I should treat or not. It hasn't failed me yet. Now in heavily trafficked areas and slow flow areas (usually lower elevation or late season snow ponds), filter and treat for sure. YMMV

Dogwood
05-07-2013, 22:04
I've been treating exclusively with AM two part drops the last 5-6 yrs in the U.S. and ONLY treating my trail sourced water about 5-10 % of the time. To my knowledge I've NEVER had water borne pathogens. What I do, what I know, and my digestive system are not equally shared by everyone else though.

i_Hike
05-08-2013, 10:25
I just bought the Sawyer Squeeze filter. $50.00 . Light weight only 3 oz . Can drink directly from squeeze pouch. No wait time.
i wasn't gonna use any treatment system, but the Sawyer squeeze seems to good to pass up for its weight

sterling98
05-22-2013, 12:46
Anyone have an update on what the weather is looking like now? Do you think I would find any snow during a mid june start?