PDA

View Full Version : Should I buy extra pairs of shoes before my SOBO?

LAS
04-22-2013, 12:17
I currently have a pair of broken in shoes for my SOBO. Thoughts on having 2 backup pairs waiting for me. I heard that your foot size gets larger. Should I buy 2 extra pairs now, or just get them as I go?

Chaco Taco
04-22-2013, 20:47
I currently have a pair of broken in shoes for my SOBO. Thoughts on having 2 backup pairs waiting for me. I heard that your foot size gets larger. Should I buy 2 extra pairs now, or just get them as I go?
I wouldnt because your feet will swell and take on a new shape. Id buy as you go

Malto
04-22-2013, 21:23
It depends on how much hiking you have done prior to your attempt. I bought all five pairs per hike with no issues. But I already had my sizing nailed down and saw none of the foot growth that some have experienced. But given 80% don't finish the odds would favor buy as you go.

garlic08
04-23-2013, 09:38
Assuming, if you're asking this question, that you haven't thru hiked yet, you don't even know how those shoes will work for you in a thru-hiking situation. You might not even like them in 500 miles. Shoes are easy to order while you're hiking and have them drop-shipped to a PO via general delivery.

redseal
04-23-2013, 12:32
If you know what works for your feet then I would go for it. For instance, I have nailed down my needs so I always have a brand new pair waiting as a backup just in case I have an unexpected footwear failure.

Blissful
04-23-2013, 21:12
I bought mine ahead of time only because I know the size and what works. I had them waiting for me in maildrops. But in your case, I'd wait and see if they are going to work out.

LAS
04-24-2013, 14:06
Assuming, if you're asking this question, that you haven't thru hiked yet, you don't even know how those shoes will work for you in a thru-hiking situation. You might not even like them in 500 miles. Shoes are easy to order while you're hiking and have them drop-shipped to a PO via general delivery.
Good point. I think Im gonna just order them as I go. Appreciate your thoughts! Thanks