PDA

View Full Version : Would someone please explain this "...." for me?

Sailor (The other one)
04-22-2013, 12:31
I am an old man, way behind the times. So would someone please explain what all these periods like this "......" means? For example, in a recent thread about the denial for a hiker hostel in Front Royal, Lone Wolf answered a question with "no......."
What does that mean?
Thanks.

Rasty
04-22-2013, 12:35
I am an old man, way behind the times. So would someone please explain what all these periods like this "......" means? For example, in a recent thread about the denial for a hiker hostel in Front Royal, Lone Wolf answered a question with "no......."
What does that mean?
Thanks.

A post requires 10 characters so the ..... are to extend the post so it will be accepted.

Old Hiker
04-22-2013, 12:35
Aw, c'mon, other Sailor ! Deleted profanity, which is supposed to make us look more sophisticated and/or elegant instead of coming out and saying it. Plus, it slips the thread past the mods.

max patch
04-22-2013, 12:36
Because for some reason you have to have 10 characters in a post. Even if a simple "yes" or "no" answers the question. Many people add the periods when needed to get up to 10 characters.

The Ace
04-22-2013, 12:37
If I only had the time . . . . .

TheYoungOne
04-22-2013, 14:09
Aw, c'mon, other Sailor ! Deleted profanity, which is supposed to make us look more sophisticated and/or elegant instead of coming out and saying it. Plus, it slips the thread past the mods.

If Sailor is an old man like me, he probably learned from comic strips and Bugs Bunny cartoons. Censored profanity should look like this, @%#&* ! not like this .......

Lone Wolf
04-22-2013, 14:35
What does that mean?
Thanks.

it means i can't just post NO because the message is too short

10-K
04-22-2013, 15:07
I often use it as a way to put inflection on a word.

No..... = Noooooo

rocketsocks
04-22-2013, 15:51

No..... = NooooooThis.....^......and sometimes it just means the thought is open ended or up for interpretation......(ie; ......."what say you"), kinda begs a question that is rhetorical.

at least that's my interpretation......

Train Wreck
04-22-2013, 16:48

No..... = Noooooo

Really.......? :D

Rasty
04-22-2013, 16:52

No..... = Noooooo

Really.......? :D

I sense some sarcasm in that "really"

Train Wreck
04-22-2013, 16:53

Really....?

moytoy
04-22-2013, 17:10
What does that mean?
Thanks.
I'm old and I use it when I don't feel like typing Yadda Yadda Yadda...... Now see what you made me do:)

Gray Blazer
04-22-2013, 17:35
Yadda yadda, yadda, blah blah blah, etc. etc. etc....

Old Hiker
04-22-2013, 20:13

No......... :D

Teacher & Snacktime
04-22-2013, 20:22
It's a casual punctuation technique used to indicate pause, much like a comma. It is often used in "stream of consciousness" writing. Like slang, it's a tool of modern usage and grammatically incorrect...so I use it all the time.

Elipsis lapses
usage in a passage
very often passes
for a silent pause.

Make delays
in punctuated phrases
hidden in the maze
of clause.

Take a shot
at using quite a lot
the little written dot
to speak when you do not.

HikerMom58
04-22-2013, 20:25
It's a casual punctuation technique used to indicate pause, much like a comma. It is often used in "stream of consciousness" writing. Like slang, it's a tool of modern usage and grammatically incorrect...so I use it all the time.

You had me at grammatically incorrect...............I use it all the time 2. :D

Rasty
04-22-2013, 20:27
.................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .

Old Hiker
04-22-2013, 20:30
.................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .

OOOoooooo, what you said !!! I'm tellin' the moderators ~!~~~~~!

rocketsocks
04-23-2013, 01:41

Elipsis lapses
usage in a passage
very often passes
for a silent pause.

Make delays
in punctuated phrases
hidden in the maze
of clause.

Take a shot
at using quite a lot
the little written dot
to speak when you do not.For you.....well done!

Train Wreck
04-23-2013, 07:19
For you.....well done!

You....Teacher's Pet.....

Capt Nat
04-23-2013, 07:23
OK! Thats enough of the dots!!! Don't make me put my hands on my hips!!!!!!!!!!

Wise Old Owl
04-23-2013, 07:27

Wait ...no ... Wait four .... reflects sarcasm? "gasp!"

http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg275/MarkSwarbrick/opus_bill.gif

Capt Nat
04-23-2013, 07:32
OK, That's enough of the dots!!!! Don't make me put my hands on my hips!!!!!!!

Wise Old Owl
04-23-2013, 07:36

UHHH that's his line..... its a diabolical plot to increase the number of posts to make you king....

http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg275/MarkSwarbrick/TheAligatorKing.jpg

Sailor (The other one)
04-23-2013, 09:27
That clears that up......

Thanks.

aficion
04-23-2013, 09:31
That clears that up......

Thanks.

Train Wreck
04-23-2013, 09:39

I disagree .....

Rasty
04-23-2013, 09:53

.................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. ..................

Train Wreck
04-23-2013, 10:10
Samuel Morse called. He wants his dots back. The dashes are complaining about all the overtime.

aficion
04-23-2013, 10:14
I disagree .....

Forgive me my Queen. Forsooth and forthwith my dotage is upon me!

atraildreamer
04-23-2013, 10:16
Sometimes I use the dots to indicate a partial quote, such as what I overheard from a conversation between two WB members:
"Sometimes the moderators are ...", "on the other hand, they can also be such ...", "I agree, lets tell them to...". :D:banana

Teacher & Snacktime
04-23-2013, 14:29
Samuel Morse called. He wants his dots back. The dashes are complaining about all the overtime.

Love This....

@Rocketsocks: Thanks for the apple. Anyone who can stand my is definitely "Teacher's Pet". I've been trying to figure out what part of Jersey is neither North nor South...I grew up in Burlington County, which is smack in the middle, but South. Anything south of Brunswick is South. according to Trentonians.