PDA

View Full Version : Dry camping along AT in SNP

Coffee
04-22-2013, 12:59
I'm thinking about section hiking the length of the AT within SNP sometime over the next few weeks. I have read quite a bit about how the AT doesn't have much water right along the trail since it sticks to the ridge in most places. However, I don't want to be restricted to staying at the shelters in the park and I'm not sure how many miles per day I will want to do and would prefer not to plan it in advance. I don't have a problem with taking some extra water from water sources and dry camping. Especially if I hike all day, eat dinner at a water source, and hike on to dry camp for the night. From a hike this past weekend, I noticed a number of relatively flat areas along the AT between a mile south Big Meadows and Fisher's Gap. None of these areas appear to have any signs of campsites and I'm wondering whether people just avoid dry camping or if there are other reasons why people stick to the shelters. As best as I can tell, these are all legal for camping (away from the campground, roads, etc...). As far as food storage is concerned, I have a Bearikade that I will most likely take, not so much because I don't want to bear bag but because this is a dry run for my JMT hike later this summer and I want to practice hiking with the canister and also fitting things into my pack with the canister in it.

Malto
04-22-2013, 13:47
I was the complete opposite. I avoided the shelters and only camped away from the shelters. I had no problem but then again I just cowboy camped which I can do just about anywhere.

rsjrny
04-22-2013, 14:25
I just completed the North District (Luray to Front Royal) on the 13th and 14th of this month. There was plenty of water in the streams that crossed the AT. I did not stay at a shelter either. One note, The Elkwallow wayside was not yet opened, hopefully it is by now.

Deer Hunter
04-22-2013, 17:09
Water shouldn't be a problem at all this time of year. I was in the southern end hiking this past weekend and there was plenty of water flowing there. Below is a link with the opening dates for the waysides and such.

http://www.goshenandoah.com/Dine.aspx

Coffee
04-22-2013, 17:15
Thanks for the replies. There's definitely lots of water around the Big Meadows area, at least based on my nine mile circuit hike yesterday which included the AT south of Big Meadows, Lewis Spring Falls, Fisher's Gap, Rose River, and Dark Hollow Falls. I'll probably take an extra Platypus in case I decide to dry camp along the ridges. This short section of the AT has some great views. I want to do the AT through SNP before the leaves come in on the trees so the views are maximized. I saw leaves on trees creeping up the hillsides but everything is mostly bare up on the AT still and my guess is that this will be the case at least for a couple of weeks. Also, no bugs to speak of yet.

Dogwood
04-22-2013, 17:28
It's been raining about 1-2 per week along much of the southern AT so H20 shouldn't be a huge issue. You might be able to get water at the waysides too. Nice to grab a blackberry shake or a nice dinner at one of the restaurants too. Personally, when I hike through SNP I try mixing up the AT( much ridge or edge of an escarpment type hiking) with some of the other trails/areas to get a BETTER feel for this NP. The waterfalls in SNP can be AWESOME to experience particularly after a HEAVY rain. White Oak Canyon can be a TOP FLIGHT hiking experience. After a heavy rain IT IS STUNNING! IMHO, this is one of the BEST loops in SNP! http://www.hikingupward.com/SNP/ThreeFalls/ You can even throw Old Rag in there in a overnight side trip that includes this loop too!

In addition to the lodges at Big Meadows and Skyland, there are daytime restaurants and snack bars at Big Meadows (Mile 51), Elkwallow Wayside (Mile 24.1), Panorama-Thornton Gap (Mile 31.5), and Loft Mountain (Mile 79.5).

Picnic areas with tables, fireplaces, water fountains, and restrooms are at Dickey Ridge (Mile 4.6) and Elkwallow (Mile 24.1) in the Northern District; Pinnacles (Mile 36.7), Big Meadows (Mile 51), and Lewis Mountain (Mile 57.5) in the Central District; and South River (Mile 62.8) and Loft Mountain (Mile 79.5) in the Southern District.

It mainly seems to hikers that SNP is dry because they are so spoiled with the generally ABUNDANT water south of the NP.

chiefiepoo
04-23-2013, 22:47
If you're going south to north from Rockfish Gap, there is no water on the trail for about 12 miles between the spring north of Calf Mtn shelter and Black Rock hut. Miles 866.1 to 878.0 .I went through June of 2010 with 92* actual and feels like in the upper 90's and used 2.5 l before running out past Rip Rap parking lot. Plan to set some out if you're driving the Skyline.