PDA

View Full Version : Would skipping a section you already hiked count in a thru

TheYoungOne
04-22-2013, 14:25
I am real close to completing the PA section of the AT, and some sections I have hiked more that once.

If I was doing a thru hike, there would be an urge to skip certain sections of the AT that I did already. It would be nothing major, maybe 12 miles or so near Bake Oven Knob. The area is gross, boring and I hiked it twice already. I rather use that time to visit my family, and start up again at Lehigh Gap.

Is it cheating, and does it make your thru invalid?

Rasty
04-22-2013, 14:27
No............Don't worry about anyone else's answers!

FarmerChef
04-22-2013, 14:31
I use this as my guide for considering my hike to be "complete." http://www.appalachiantrail.org/about-the-trail/2000-milers/2000-miler-application

That said, I really think this is up to you. You've already hiked the other section(s) so you will have hiked the entire trail. Would you be technically a "thru?" Some would say, "no," while others would say "sure." To me what they think isn't really that important. It's what YOU want your hike to be when you're done that matters.

yaduck9
04-22-2013, 15:07
I am real close to completing the PA section of the AT, and some sections I have hiked more that once.

If I was doing a thru hike, there would be an urge to skip certain sections of the AT that I did already. It would be nothing major, maybe 12 miles or so near Bake Oven Knob. The area is gross, boring and I hiked it twice already. I rather use that time to visit my family, and start up again at Lehigh Gap.

The answers you may receive will most likely be similar to the quote I emphasized above. They will be gross, boring, and will have already been stated many times before.

In the end, if it important enough to ask "permission" on an internet forum, it may be important enough, to you, to take four hours, and hike the twelve miles.

:-?

max patch
04-22-2013, 15:07
Words have meanings which is why we have dictionaries.

Is it a thru? Of course not, you have a gap.

Can you still be a 2,000 miler? Absolutely, assuming you meet all the other requirements.

Cookerhiker
04-22-2013, 15:35

Can you still be a 2,000 miler? Absolutely, assuming you meet all the other requirements.

This........

perdidochas
04-22-2013, 15:40

For 12 miles, if I were in your shoes, I'd probably just rewalk it. That way, no naysayers can say anything against your thru. If it were more than 20 or 30 miles, I'd skip it. However, hike your own hike.

Train Wreck
04-22-2013, 17:01

No one should be forced to repeat any part of PA unless it's a sentence imposed by a judge. And even then, the time should fit the crime :D

The Ace
04-22-2013, 17:43
It’s a two stroke penalty. If you sign and turn in your scorecard after reaching Katadyn without adding in the penalty, then you will be disqualified and will have to hike the entire trail again.

Berserker
04-22-2013, 17:50
I usually never comment on these kinds of posts because it's really just a semantics thing, but in my opinion the words have concrete definitions and many like to try and bend them. To me it's like this:

Thru hiker - a thru hiker is someone who completes or intends to complete the trail in one attempt by hiking the white blazed AT proper (in the desired order, i.e. NOBO, SOBO, flip-flop, etc.), which encompasses any re-routes during the period in which the hike occurs.
Section hiker - anyone that completes or intends to complete the AT proper, which encompasses any re-routes during period in which the hike occurs, in multiple pieces separated by significant periods of time.

Of course you can get into a bunch of discussion over my definitions and tear them apart, but it's really that simple. If I meet someone on the trail and they say they are thru hiking I assume they're doing the whole AT in one shot. Funny thing is I run across a lot of people that say that only to find out later that they skipped a significant piece, or did part of it at some point in the past and have come back to finish. There's no shame in calling that what it is...a section hike.

So if you want to get into semantics, in my opinion you will have completed the AT as a section hiker if you skip the piece of PA you previously did when you do your "thru" hike.

And heck, does it really matter...no, because you still hiked the whole AT.

Ha ha ha, I know it's coming...so let the flamers commence to flaming :D

wornoutboots
04-22-2013, 17:55
Grab an early breakfast with your family, hand them your pack, slack the 12, they pick you up before lunch & you spend as much time as you want with them.

Dogwood
04-22-2013, 17:56
If you feel you need to ask this question what is that saying about HOW YOU ARE THINKING OF THINGS? Just be honest! HYOH.

Gotta tell ya though, be careful! When a wanna do a thru-hike person starts justifying, rationalizing, and explaining why it is OK to skip trail mileage IT GETS ADDICTIVE REAL FAST! Been there. Dun that. When I added up ALL the trail mileage I missed on my AT completion it came out to be nearly 200 miles when I thought it was only about 70 miles missed. In good conscience I could not justify saying I DID MY BEST to HIKE ALL THE AT. Took me 3 1/2 wks in several states AFTER SUMMITTING Mt K on a NOBO AT hike to get in all those missed trail miles taken care of! At least I can HONESTLY SAY I DID MY BEST! I can live with that!

staehpj1
04-22-2013, 18:01
Your hike, your call, but really... Why would you even consider casting any doubt on your thru by skipping a piddly 12 miles?

MuddyWaters
04-22-2013, 19:22
If you hike the entire thing, you are a 2000 miler.
Thats all that matters.

Even the first "thru hiker" really wasnt. Earl kept getting lost due to bad condition of the trail. No doubt he missed a few spots.

The only thing that really matters, is what YOU think.

Marta
04-22-2013, 20:05
By the time you get to Pennsylvania, you'll probably have feelings about it one way or the other. You certainly don't have to re-hike that section, but you need to ask yourself whether, when you finish your Long Hike you will be kicking yourself for having skipped it.

Mags
04-22-2013, 20:24
For 12 miles, if I were in your shoes, I'd probably just rewalk it. That way, no naysayers can say anything against your thru. If it were more than 20 or 30 miles, I'd skip it. However, hike your own hike.

Exactly! :)

It would probably take longer just to shuttle around the area you already walked. If it was 100 miles, that would be one thing. 12 miles? Well, as mentioned, quicker and easier just to walk it IMO.

kayak karl
04-22-2013, 20:35
By the time you get to Pennsylvania, you'll probably have feelings about it one way or the other. You certainly don't have to re-hike that section, but you need to ask yourself whether, when you finish your Long Hike you will be kicking yourself for having skipped it.
i agree with Marta. it's a few miles away from now. decide then :)

Malto
04-22-2013, 20:37
I would walk it. That way you don't add "except for twelve miles" in your head after you answer yes I'm a thru hiker. In 2011 many of the early hikers skipped a 60 mile section of North Yosemite on the PCT. when hikers would ask us if we were thru hikers he would always let me answer. I know for a fact that it really bothered him and he would never skip it again. I hiked with another hiker that skipped that same section and he also really regretted it after meeting others that did go through. Slightly different scenario but it i suspect it will bother you as we'll, otherwise you wouldn't have asked the question.

Lyle
04-22-2013, 20:41
You get to make the rules, no matter what anyone else says.

rickb
04-22-2013, 20:56
As one who grew up thinking that completing a Red Rose Tea album with all its the cards was a worthy goal, I will hold keep my opinions on this one to myself.

Coosa
04-22-2013, 22:46
If you have to ask ... You already know the answer.

A Thru Hike has no gaps.

A 2000 Miler is a 2000 Miler no matter if he/she Thru Hikes or not. But only a Thru Hiker (in any configuration of hiking the entire Trail) is a Thru Hiker.

Depends on whether you want the bragging rights.

— Jacques d'Amboise --- aka "Jacques the Dancer" --- claimed to have Thru Hiked in 1999. He hiked some sections & got loads of news coverage when his entourage went into towns near the trail to speak & dance in elementary schools ... But the SoBos who hiked during his publicity stunt will attest that he skipped about half the Trail when he was going into towns to get news coverage for his project -- teaching Dance in Appalachia --- (How'd that turn out? Hear of any schools along the AT which teach Ballet & Dance because of his hike? ??? ~~~ message me) He'd get off the Trail, do his "thing" complete with photographers & then get back on the Trail "Where He Figured He Would Have Been" had he not taken a 3-5 day Town/School/Publicity stop. Look him up online & the lies are still promulgated by wiki, himself & et cetera. (I followed his hike closely & waited for him ON the Trail, to get a photo, only to learn from the SoBos that he'd been shuttled by a former female Thru Hiker who'd "fallen" for him around that section of the Trail because he'd made one of his publicized Town/School stops to teach some children his "Appalachian Stomp" dance ...) Those who hiked while he was being Slacked & YellowBlazed filled me in --- but he got his "news story" and raised money -- don't know about accountability --- OR if anyone cares OR if it matters ---

[B]OH WAIT --- yes, it matters ... because a Thru Hiker cannot be Self-Proclaimed ... He must actually Hike all of the Trail in one continuous hike (in any configuration it takes for him to do so) and Honestly report his hike.

Operative phrases here are Continuous hike and Honestly report.

ATC quote:

HOW DOES THE ATC DEFINE THRU-HIKING?
We don't. The ATC uses the term "2,000-miler" as a matter of tradition and convenience. ATC defines a "2,000-miler" as anyone who has hiked the entire Trail between Springer Mountain in Georgia and Katahdin in Maine. We don't consider issues such as the sequence, direction, speed or whether one carries a pack. We do expect that persons applying for inclusion in our 2,000-miler records have made an honest effort to walk the entire Trail.

http://blackwoodspress.com/blog/6726/tips-for-thru-hikers-1/ States:
Thru-hiking is backpacking an entire trail from beginning to end in a single trip.

Emphasis on the words Entire and Single Trip.

A Purist states the hiker cannot miss one White Blaze. A Thru Hiker decides for himself if he's going to be a Purist. [Purisms matter to people like Dan Wingfoot Bruce.]

[Personally, if there is a storm a-brewing or a controlled burn or any reason that satisfies my conscience why a Blue Blaze is safer or appropriate --- I'm Blue Blazing --- I will Yellow Blaze ONLY under threat by Law Enforcement because a section is Closed To Hiking --- and I'll come back and hike that Section after the Threat is over. I have no plans to "Water Blaze" parallel to the AT --YMMV--

Nor will I lie about Thru Hiking and complete the 2000 Miler paperwork claiming that I HIKED the Entire Appalachian Trail if I did not do so.]

So there you have the long form answer from a self-proclaimed 2000-miler ----- same Mile, 2000 times!

:D
The old; the Auntie; the Coosa

10-K
04-23-2013, 07:32
It'll give you something to think about as you hike up the trail.

Considering most people don't make it that far anyway the first objective seems to be even getting there and having the choice.

Coosa
04-23-2013, 08:05
It'll give you something to think about as you hike up the trail.

Considering most people don't make it that far anyway the first objective seems to be even getting there and having the choice.

Okay, 10-K, you win the answer competition! :)

What's your next adventure? Ever consider the Bruce Trail (http://brucetrail.org/)? Has anyone talked about hiking it?

Coosa

DeerPath
04-23-2013, 08:41
I think everyone should remember claiming a Thru is on the Honors System.

Dogwood
04-23-2013, 12:06
I think everyone should remember claiming a Thru is on the Honors System.

I try NEVER FORGETTING that DeerPath. If I can't be HONEST about my hiking that, FOR ME, takes away from my hiking.

HOW DOES THE ATC DEFINE THRU-HIKING?
We don't. The ATC uses the term "2,000-miler" as a matter of tradition and convenience. ATC defines a "2,000-miler" as anyone who has hiked the entire Trail between Springer Mountain in Georgia and Katahdin in Maine. We don't consider issues such as the sequence, direction, speed or whether one carries a pack. WE DO EXPECT THAT PERSONS APPLYING FOR INCLUSION IN OUR 2,000 -MILER IN OUR RECORDS HAVE MADE AN HONEST EFFORT TO WALK THE ENTIRE TRAIL.

Seems certainly reasonable for the ATC to phrase and define things this way but that last bit - HAVE MADE AN HONEST EFFORT To Walk The Entire Trail - is what, IMHO, MANY, FAIL TO DO!

It happens in so MANY endeavors. Folks want to QUICKLY reap the potential rewards but DO NOT want to put in the necessary EFFORT to reap those rewards!

Lyle
04-23-2013, 12:27
I find it amusing how strong people feel about what someone else calls their hike. As if it made any difference at all to anybody.

Oh my God! Joe hiker only hiked 2169 miles. I hiked 2179 POINT 1 miles!!! How dare he say he is equal to me!!!

Besides that, he took a week off to attend a funeral in the middle of it! The audacity of some people. I'll never understand the dishonesty.

max patch
04-23-2013, 12:32
I find it amusing how strong people feel about what someone else calls their hike. As if it made any difference at all to anybody.

Oh my God! Joe hiker only hiked 2169 miles. I hiked 2179 POINT 1 miles!!! How dare he say he is equal to me!!!

Besides that, he took a week off to attend a funeral in the middle of it! The audacity of some people. I'll never understand the dishonesty.

Thats not the issue at all.

When someone says they did a "thru hike" or are a "2000 miler" we should know instantly what they did. An explanation should not be necessary.

10-K
04-23-2013, 12:56
Which begs the question... who would lie about hiking a trail (or not) anyway?

I mean... you would know so you'd always walk around feeling like a phony. At least I would anyway...

Lyle
04-23-2013, 13:00
Thats not the issue at all.

When someone says they did a "thru hike" or are a "2000 miler" we should know instantly what they did. An explanation should not be necessary.

Why? What difference does it make?

capehiker
04-23-2013, 13:02
It would make for an interesting conversation piece.

Curious tourist atop Mt. Katahdin: "Are you one of those 'Thru Hikers'"?
You: "No, I'm a section hiker"
Tourist: "Neat, how far did you hike this time?"
You; "2,168 miles"
Tourist: "How long is the trail?"
You: "2,180 miles"
Tourist does math in head and looks confused.

max patch
04-23-2013, 13:14
Which begs the question... who would lie about hiking a trail (or not) anyway?

Its not necessarily lying.

Many times people will say "I'm about to head out and complete my thru hike which I started last year." Thats not a lie. Thats just not knowing what the term means.

peakbagger
04-23-2013, 14:12
It would counts if you skipped it, you did a thru hike as a section hiker. Many section hikers including myself count as thru hikers even though technically it took me 40 years to cover every section. Of course some sections move almost every year plus some sections are closed some years so a continuous thru hike is always going to be a relative thing. As an example, after Hurricane Irene the AT was officially closed from the VT line to NH. Any thru hikers in New England at the time had to skip quite a section of trail. Per ATC rules their thru hike counted as much as any others hike.

I noticed a lot more "anal" thru hikers down south attempting to hike past every white blaze, usually by the time they get up to New England they have either dropped off the trail or have mellowed out.

Sarcasm the elf
04-23-2013, 14:14
I find it amusing how strong people feel about what someone else calls their hike. As if it made any difference at all to anybody.Oh my God! Joe hiker only hiked 2169 miles. I hiked 2179 POINT 1 miles!!! How dare he say he is equal to me!!!Besides that, he took a week off to attend a funeral in the middle of it! The audacity of some people. I'll never understand the dishonesty.I have to agree with Lyle on this one. Folks need to stop worrying so much about other people's lives. Contrary to popular belief, there is no universally accepted set of rules that define "thru hike" there are however plenty of guidelines, which some folks like to argue about on the Internet.

Sarcasm the elf
04-23-2013, 14:21
As an amusing aside, if you take the logic that purists use to form their definition of "thru hike" and bring it to its logical extreme, you could easily come to the obvious conclusion that each time the trail is re-routed or expanded, then all people who earned their cherished "thru-hiker" status on the older shorter trail route would then be bumped down to "section hiker" status unless they thru-hiked the updated/expanded trail all over again. ;-)

Mags
04-23-2013, 14:22
I am not getting into labels personally. Gets to hard to discuss and you then have multipage debates about it. :D

I just think it would be easier and less time consuming overall to hike 12 miles than to arrange a shuttle, get picked up, dropped off,etc.

A combo of practicality and laziness. :)

atmilkman
04-23-2013, 14:29
As an amusing aside, if you take the logic that purists use to form their definition of "thru hike" and bring it to its logical extreme, you could easily come to the obvious conclusion that each time the trail is re-routed or expanded, then all people who earned their cherished "thru-hiker" status on the older shorter trail route would then be bumped down to "section hiker" status unless they thru-hiked the updated/expanded trail all over again. ;-)
Also under this rule taking a zero day in reality negates a thru because it was not continuous.

Jack Tarlin
04-23-2013, 14:30
In a few weeks, I get some time off work and intend to hit the Trail. I intend to skip the sections I've done previously. So say hello to the newest member of the AT Class of 2013!!

Um, actually, that was not to be taken seriously. I think people should hike where they like and like where they hike and where they go and what path they follow is entirely up to them.

Lyle
04-23-2013, 14:35
I got that from your original post Mags, my comment was in no way intended to be directed at yours. I guess I agree with you, as I generally do. There is no official definition of thru hike, only lots of differing opinions as to what constitutes one. Everyone's opinion is as valid as everyone else's, so why get out of joint when someone has a different definition, even if it's substantially different.

When someone meets another thru hiker, do they grill them on what their definition is? No, not that I've seen. Does it make any difference to their further interaction with that person? No, not that I've seen. Do thru hikers get any tax breaks that other's don't? Not that I've heard of. Are thru hikers any more qualified to offer advice? Not that I've noticed.

That's my point, it makes no difference. Everyone is free to adopt the definition that makes sense to them. That is the only option absence any governing board - something I would never like to see.

By the way, I see no point or use for Royal Families either. :)

Lone Wolf
04-23-2013, 15:44

yes..........

lemon b
04-23-2013, 15:53
Hiking is not a contest.

Tinker
04-23-2013, 16:42

I have over half of the trail done, so would I consider a "thruhike" merely doing the rest in one trip?

No. But.........

The important thing is that you are hiking and enjoying it (even if it's not on the AT).:eek:

Grampie
04-23-2013, 17:50
You can call any hike on the AT a thru-hike. Some folks go home after a couple of weeks and tell everyone that they thru-hiked.

rocketsocks
04-23-2013, 17:54

Is it cheating, and does it make your thru invalid?While I look forward to doing that section, I most likely won't do it twice...nor should you if you don't care to. And yes in my book it counts as your total miles accumulated towards your 2,000 miler hike....and a job well done.

were all section hikers waiting for the next section!

RED-DOG
04-23-2013, 17:57
While I look forward to doing that section, I most likely won't do it twice...nor should you if you don't care to. And yes in my book it counts as your total miles accumulated towards your 2,000 miler hike....and a job well done.

were all section hikers waiting for the next section! Yep for most people thats true but a few of us decides to do the trail over and over again. RED-DOG

Lone Wolf
04-23-2013, 21:03
Hiking is not a contest.

thru-hiking the AT is

bigcranky
04-23-2013, 21:13
Also under this rule taking a zero day in reality negates a thru because it was not continuous.

Stepping off the trail to pee negates a thru under this rule.

Blissful
04-23-2013, 21:16
Thru hike or section hike, it doesn't matter in a completion. Only hiking the whole trail does.

Blissful
04-23-2013, 21:18
thru-hiking the AT is

I know. Which is ridiculous. In the grand scheme of things, who cares if you did it in one year or many? I rmember the guy I gave an interview to for a newspaper. He didn't care if I did it one year or two or many. Only that I did it.

Blissful
04-23-2013, 21:21
While I look forward to doing that section, I most likely won't do it twice...nor should you if you don't care to. And yes in my book it counts as your total miles accumulated towards your 2,000 miler hike....and a job well done.

were all section hikers waiting for the next section!

Yes. Nice post.

Section hikers...there is also a Facebook group for you. 800 members plus so far...

https://www.facebook.com/groups/179997858744135/

atmilkman
04-23-2013, 21:32
Another reason why Under Armor boxers are so important.

Dr. Professor
04-23-2013, 22:09

On some level, the goal of a thru hike is to be able to say you hiked the whole thing, even if you're only saying that to yourself. Do you really want to have a little voice in your head the rest of your life saying that you really didn't do it?

Kookork
04-23-2013, 23:03
Okay, 10-K, you win the answer competition! :)

What's your next adventure? Ever consider the Bruce Trail (http://brucetrail.org/)? Has anyone talked about hiking it?

Coosa

I thru hiked the Bruce Trail in 2011 . That was the beginning of the addiction to long distance hiking and I loved every minute of it it.How many thru hiker I met while hiking it? Zero. number of shelters? zero campsites: three
Hostel : one (reservation required )
serenity: Plenty

AngryGerman
04-24-2013, 11:03

x2 with further mention; I completed PA and the 4 state challenge twice before my thru and I still walked those miles. How much integrity do you want your hike to have and ultimately it is your hike so without further delay, HYOH!

Dogwood
04-24-2013, 12:51

If there are two trails to a shelter you have to go back out to the AT via the trail you went to the shelter or that negates a thru. Met a few of those anal arse holes too.

The Solemates
04-24-2013, 15:45

If it were me, I'd walk it. In fact, I walked all of GA-VA before my thru in sections. I re-walked it. I had also walked small sections like this north of VA before my thru. I re-walked them. BUT, I didnt do it so I could answer to someone else. I could care less what others think. I just enjoyed being out there. in the end, it doesnt matter. just have fun.

FarmerChef
04-24-2013, 15:53
One other tidbit to rewalking a section. Sometimes it's nice to rewalk a section so that you can experience something you didn't get to on your last trip. There are so many things I wish I had had time to stop and see, a 1 mile roadwalk this way or a half mile blue blaze that way. When I do get to thru (and I will) I plan to purposely avoid the familiar and try to hit the things I wished I had had a chance to do but didn't. To the OP's point, this is more about time, so this point is probably moot but valid nonetheless.

lemon b
04-24-2013, 17:07
Fact is no one really cares. We're not that important.
Its all personal.

atmilkman
04-24-2013, 18:05
Fact is no one really cares. We're not that important.
Its all personal.
Gets my vote for post of the day.

waasj
04-24-2013, 20:58
Is that the sound of pitchforks being sharpened and torches being lit???

HYOH!

Tree Nerd
04-27-2013, 16:01

HYOH.....Do whatever you want, I won't scold you, but there are many ***holes out there that wouldn't give you the credit of a thru hiker. Personally, I don't care for that nonsense and you shouldn't either. The hike is about you and if you think you have the right to jump a section you already did, then do it and be proud of it, don't let others get you down.

staehpj1
04-27-2013, 17:42
HYOH.....Do whatever you want, I won't scold you, but there are many ***holes out there that wouldn't give you the credit of a thru hiker. Personally, I don't care for that nonsense and you shouldn't either. The hike is about you and if you think you have the right to jump a section you already did, then do it and be proud of it, don't let others get you down.

The OP asks for opinions, people give their opinion, and that makes them ***holes?