PDA

View Full Version : Taking my son and wife from Springer Mountain to Neels Gap

Preacher_68
04-22-2013, 21:06
First I would like to say hello to everyone as this is my first post here. I am taking my 13 year old son and my wife hiking and plan on going from Springer Mountain to Neels Gap, spreading it out over 6 days. I plan on going about 6 miles or so a day and taking my time. Want to spend some quality time with my wife and son and not push it so hard that they are trashed at the end of each day. I have planned out food and the majority of the logistics of the trip, Shuttle, place to stay the night before, and equipment, thanks to a lot of asking and reading as I have no desire to mimic my Army days with my wife and son in tow:).

Any pointers are welcome as this will be their first hike of any kind and my first one as a civilian(although I have been out for many years). I want this to be something I can share with them for many years to come so I am trying to make it a good time for them both. Thanks in advance for any pointers.

HikerMom58
04-22-2013, 21:17
Sounds like the miles you've planned will be easy and enjoyable. If you have the proper gear, good trail food and a good attitude towards the journey, I don't see how they wouldn't have a great time. Welcome to WB!!

bigcranky
04-22-2013, 21:20
Taking it easy is a fine idea. Note that some of the better water sources are near shelters or other camping areas, and these tend to be about 8 miles apart in that area. Springer > Hawk Mountain > Gooch Mountain > Lance Creek > Neels Gap is a pretty common itinerary for a low-key hike. The first day is relatively flat, too, which is nice.

Have fun!

Freedom Walker
04-22-2013, 21:32
For a special treat, how about getting picked up by the folks at Hiker Hostel at Woody Gap, and spend a night there for a hot shower and great breakfast. They will drop you off back at Woody Gap to continue the hike. I did that two years ago when I did that section.
Check out their website.
http://www.hikerhostel.com/

Freedom Walker
04-22-2013, 21:33
For a special treat, how about getting picked up by the folks at Hiker Hostel at Woody Gap, and spend a night there for a hot shower and great breakfast. They will drop you off back at Woody Gap to continue the hike. I did that two years ago when I did that section.
Check out their website.
http://www.hikerhostel.com/
Correction, they at at Dahlonega, GA. They pick you up at Woody gap

Preacher_68
04-22-2013, 21:34
Thanks, good to know about water sources. I am planning on picking up a map before I go any recommendations? I looked at the AT guide but I'm not sure I will need something that extensive for a hike that short. Thanks Big Cranky. HikerMom they are both excited, my son is totally uninterested in all the amusement parks here but is through the roof about this hike and camping trip.
Any thing I should not miss between those two points? I figure I'm on a pretty loose schedule so side trips won't be any issue.

Preacher_68
04-22-2013, 21:36
FreedomWalker I am going to make reservations to spend the day before the hike and the last day at the Hostel and take the shuttle from there to Springer and hiking back to my car.:)

map man
04-22-2013, 21:45
You ask about stuff not to miss even if they are on a side trail. Long Creek Falls, just 4.9 miles into your trip, is worth the very short side trail to get to (just be careful to notice where the white blazes lead when you get back to the AT -- there is another trail intersecting in that very spot!). Also, take a little time to poke around and take photos up on top of Blood Mountain on your last day.

HikerMom58
04-22-2013, 21:51
Thanks, good to know about water sources. I am planning on picking up a map before I go any recommendations? I looked at the AT guide but I'm not sure I will need something that extensive for a hike that short. Thanks Big Cranky. HikerMom they are both excited, my son is totally uninterested in all the amusement parks here but is through the roof about this hike and camping trip.
Any thing I should not miss between those two points? I figure I'm on a pretty loose schedule so side trips won't be any issue.

Sounds great Preacher_68! I don't know that section real well so I can't speak to what's not to miss between those two points. I'm sure someone else will chime in that knows better than I. Let us know how it all works out for y'all. We'll cross fingers and toes for great weather. :)

Preacher_68
04-22-2013, 22:57
Got to come up with some place safe to park the car in Neels Gap and then get to the Hostel without paying a small fortune. Any Ideas anyone?

Preacher_68
04-22-2013, 23:20
Never mind on parking did a search and figured it out, this is really a great forum.

BuckeyeBill
04-22-2013, 23:53
Remember if you plan on camping between jarrod gap and neels gap you will need a bear canister for your food. If you follow Big Crank's route, you wil be ok.

Theosus
04-23-2013, 06:58
Remember if you plan on camping between jarrod gap and neels gap you will need a bear canister for your food. If you follow Big Crank's route, you wil be ok.

Doesn't that expire in June sometime?

bigcranky
04-23-2013, 08:12
The official AT map for Georgia was redesigned a few years ago and is excellent. I would also recommend getting The AT Guide -- you can download a PDF version for half price ($8) and just print the pages you need to carry. Together, these two resources will provide significantly more information than either will by themselves, especially about water and campsites.

+1 on Long Creek Falls.

BuckeyeBill
04-23-2013, 22:39
Doesn't that expire in June sometime?

June 1 if I remember right, but how many bears do you know that can read a calendar?

Preacher_68
04-23-2013, 23:22
Looked at that BV500 but it's hard to tell how much stuff I can shove into it, and I heard that a bear up in the Adirondacks figured out how to open one, but I like the fact that's it's waterproof. Where can I get a copy of the official AT map?

BuckeyeBill
04-24-2013, 00:34
Guide Books and Maps can be found at http://www.atctrailstore.org/

BuckeyeBill
04-24-2013, 00:39
If you don't have one already, get AWOL's AT guide here http://theatguide.com/

bigcranky
04-24-2013, 10:08
You're not going to be able to fit six days of food into a Bear Vault for one hiker, let alone three of you. Just don't camp in that 5 mile section -- if you pull up at Lance Creek on the last night, then climb over Blood Mountain to Neels Gap in one day, you'll avoid it.

flemdawg1
04-24-2013, 10:31
First I would like to say hello to everyone as this is my first post here. I am taking my 13 year old son and my wife hiking and plan on going from Springer Mountain to Neels Gap, spreading it out over 6 days. I plan on going about 6 miles or so a day and taking my time. Want to spend some quality time with my wife and son and not push it so hard that they are trashed at the end of each day. I have planned out food and the majority of the logistics of the trip, Shuttle, place to stay the night before, and equipment, thanks to a lot of asking and reading as I have no desire to mimic my Army days with my wife and son in tow:).

Any pointers are welcome as this will be their first hike of any kind and my first one as a civilian(although I have been out for many years). I want this to be something I can share with them for many years to come so I am trying to make it a good time for them both. Thanks in advance for any pointers.

Ya'll will most likely get really bored sitting 18-21hours a day at camp. I took my 4 yo and 6yo daughters on the Standing Indian Loop 2 years ago, we did 8 miles a day at a painfully slow pace.

bear bag hanger
04-24-2013, 10:35
+ on bigcranky's comment on a bear vault. BUT remember to hang your food and do not keep any food inside your tents. There are a lot of bears in that section.

Preacher_68
04-24-2013, 23:36
Yea I figure the pace won't be as fast as I'd like but I am willing to keep a slower pace and on stops I want to teach my son and wife knots, more detailed map reading skills, etc. Once they are used to hiking with a pack our next stretch will be more miles and less stopping. I think I will do that just pull up short and hike that whole section the last day.

bigcranky
04-25-2013, 07:27
...on stops I want to teach my son and wife knots, more detailed map reading skills, etc.

Just make sure this doesn't become too much like boot camp. Remember, when the student is ready, the master will appear. It doesn't really work well the other way around. :)

The strategy of taking long breaks during the day works very well for my family.

Preacher_68
04-25-2013, 21:48
Yeah I thought about that but then my son and wife asked me to show them to tie some useful knots and asked about map reading so we made a night out of both, it was a great time:). Truth be told this is the first thing that everyone in my family is equally excited about and I feel like this could bring an already close family even closer, to not only one another but to God's magnificent creation.

bigcranky
04-26-2013, 07:15
That's awesome. Have a great hike. I have many fond memories of hiking with my daughter when she was that age.

kcnal
05-02-2013, 22:15
Never mind on parking did a search and figured it out, this is really a great forum.

Out of curisoity (I'm planning the same trip end of May/June and was researching myself) which parking areas did you decide on?

jesse
05-03-2013, 04:48

You could Park at Amacalola Falls State Park, and include the Approach Trail. Total 38 miles, very doable in 6 days. You could spend the first night at the lodge, eat a hardy buffet breakfast, then set out.

MuddyWaters
05-04-2013, 17:45
You could Park at Amacalola Falls State Park, and include the Approach Trail. Total 38 miles, very doable in 6 days. You could spend the first night at the lodge, eat a hardy buffet breakfast, then set out.

Its a standing debate, but IMO the falls on the approach are one of the highlights of GA and really shouldnt be missed, especially if you can catch them after a heavy rain when they are really flowing.

Otherwise, not many views between springer and Neels until you get to top of Blood Mtn.

North of Neels is more scenic with more frequent views.

Preacher_68
05-05-2013, 09:53
I am going to park at Lake Winfield Scott where I will be camping for two days before beginning my hike on the third day. I will leave the car there and shuttle to Springer, hike back to my car, and drive to a Hotel after for some hanging out with the family before heading home. The reason I chose Winfield Scott was that with my Access Pass for National Parks it cost me 7.50 to camp and nothing to get in, and I can jump on two different trails off the AT and walk right in after our hike is over. Its 2.50 a day after I start my hike on Sunday, but the car is in an area where someone is there so I'm alright with that. There is a parking area also at 34.742031,-83.922686 just up the Road that is driven through by the Forest Service, I was told that it is a high traffic area during weekends but not to clear about during the week. Maybe will will run across each other out there sounds like we will be in the area about the same time. Sorry for the delayed response.

MJW155
05-07-2013, 15:42
I might be in minority but I thought Hiker Hostel sucked. Got my ticket months in advance and was told I'd be included in a 3 hour window. Had to wait 5 hours. Then we waited another 2 hours for 1 last hiker. Landed in Atlanta at 10 AM and didn't get to hostel until 9 PM. Was never given an apology, explanation or discount. I know people rave about them, but I was not impressed compared to people doing the same stuff farther up the trail.

max patch
05-07-2013, 16:39
I hope you were informed about the wait and at least could spend the time at the airport. Hanging out at the Marta station for all that time would really suck.

MuddyWaters
05-07-2013, 19:13
I might be in minority but I thought Hiker Hostel sucked. Got my ticket months in advance and was told I'd be included in a 3 hour window. Had to wait 5 hours. Then we waited another 2 hours for 1 last hiker. Landed in Atlanta at 10 AM and didn't get to hostel until 9 PM. Was never given an apology, explanation or discount. I know people rave about them, but I was not impressed compared to people doing the same stuff farther up the trail.

I fly thru Atlanta all the time. Its one of the busiest airports in the country. When traffic problems hit another major hub somewhere, it spills over to atlanta too, in addition to its own weather issues. Chances are it was airlines that caused the issues, not the Hiker Hostel. They dont have the resources to provide you an individual pickup when they are also waiting on others. You probably wouldnt want to pay for it either.

When they shuttled me, my shuttle with other folks in the vehicle was darn near free, just a couple of bucks. More than fairly adjusted.

max patch
05-07-2013, 19:43
Chances are it was airlines that caused the issues, not the Hiker Hostel. They dont have the resources to provide you an individual pickup when they are also waiting on others. You probably wouldnt want to pay for it either.

I've sent a lot of people to the HH, and I know they can't make any money if only 1 person is in the van, but if they promise a 3 hour window they need to suck it up and make it happen. No excuse to make anybody wait 7 hours.