PDA

View Full Version : SNP Facilities

kolokolo
04-22-2013, 22:48
Hi All,

I expect that I am going to take some abuse for this post. So be it.

I have sectioned almost a third of the AT so far. Mostly I have hiked alone, but I have done sections with my son, with a colleague from work, and with some fellow Scout dads. I would really love to do a week or so section with my wife, and while she is a fine hiker, she refuses to go on any hikes where there are no restrooms available at least every day, preferably with running water. On the AT, it seems to me that the only stretch that might be a possibility would be SNP. I know that there are restrooms in the developed areas (campgrounds, visitor centers, etc), but there are a couple of stretches (like South of Dundo) where there may not be restrooms for 15 - 20 miles.

For those who have hiked the AT through Shenandoah, do you think it's possible to hike 12-15 miles per day, and hit an area with restrooms each day? I appreciate any suggestions.

Thanks.

shelb
04-22-2013, 23:28
Hi,

There are several places to stop in SNP that have a bathroom. We hiked 110 miles and I remember we had the opportunity to shower 4 times without hiking off the trail. While I realize that you are looking for showers 15 miles apart, you may find them in the central area.

Check out this link for preliminary planning: http://www.nps.gov/shen/planyourvisit/campbc_at_trips.htm.

Do not miss: Burgers at Big Meadows, Breakfast at Skyline, Shakes at Elkwallow, other campground = Lewis Mountain?

bigcranky
04-23-2013, 08:12
There are bathrooms with running water at the developed campgrounds, and also at many of the picnic areas. I think we passed 4 or 5 places with "real" bathrooms (though maybe it was Dundo that had composting privies and cold water spigots -- does that count? It should.) Let me check my Companion and the NPS Shenandoah map:

Dundo Picnic Area
Loft Mountain campground and camp store
Loft Mountain Wayside
South River Picnic Area
Lewis Mountain Campground
Big Meadows Wayside
Skyland
Pinnacles Picnic Area
Thornton Gap entrance station
Elk Wallow

OK, so way more than I thought. Might actually be possible if she can hold it through certain sections :)

I think we hit all of these on our hike through the area. What's not to like about running water and a real toilet? Also, too, food and cold drinks. (Beer at the Loft Mountain Camp Store!)