PDA

View Full Version : Bald Mountain Shelter, NC

Plain Pete
04-23-2013, 09:49
Just finished as section from Sam's Gap to the Nolichucky River. The Bald Mt. Shelter was trashed. Garbage everywhere. Ripped ponchos, tent parts, bottles, cans, piles of paper debris. The previous nights occupants had even left a fire smoldering in the fire pit. Fortunately I got there about 1, so headed on to Whistling Gap.

Chaco Taco
04-23-2013, 10:08
Just finished as section from Sam's Gap to the Nolichucky River. The Bald Mt. Shelter was trashed. Garbage everywhere. Ripped ponchos, tent parts, bottles, cans, piles of paper debris. The previous nights occupants had even left a fire smoldering in the fire pit. Fortunately I got there about 1, so headed on to Whistling Gap.
Welcome to hiking season in the south

aficion
04-23-2013, 10:20
Nice views along the Nolichucky hopefully helped to mend your tortured soul.

Stir Fry
04-23-2013, 10:21
Ya, with the increase in hikers each year theres alway a bunch that have no idea what LNT is.

Tennessee Viking
04-23-2013, 12:03
http://www.carolinamountainclub.org/index.cfm/do/contact.main/id/43/page/Contact-Us

I used to have the names of the CMC maintainers that patrol that section. But here is the CMC contact page.

There have been a number of bad habit hikers this year. Trashing shelters and hostels. Demanding special treatment and stealing from people along the way.

The Cleaner
04-23-2013, 13:01
The caretaker for that shelter used to live at the gated community near the lodge. I met him year before last on the way to the shelter.I guess he's one of those types of people who when the *hit hits the fan they find somewhere else to be.....

Gray Blazer
04-23-2013, 13:59
The guy in the overalls used to do some maintaining at Bald Shelter. I'm impressed with the people who haul away trash. I feel like I'm enabling the pigs when I do. What can you do?

Chaco Taco
04-23-2013, 15:28
http://www.carolinamountainclub.org/index.cfm/do/contact.main/id/43/page/Contact-Us

I used to have the names of the CMC maintainers that patrol that section. But here is the CMC contact page.

There have been a number of bad habit hikers this year. Trashing shelters and hostels. Demanding special treatment and stealing from people along the way.
I have done this stretch a bunch of times and it aint just this year that it been bad. I walked into a frat party one night in 2010 at Bald Mtn. Trashed and kids puking!!! Luckily there is plenty of spots to camp away from the shelter.

aficion
04-23-2013, 15:45
The guy in the overalls used to do some maintaining at Bald Shelter. I'm impressed with the people who haul away trash. I feel like I'm enabling the pigs when I do. What can you do?

This pig always hikes with 1 extra trash bag to carry out detritus to the next available bin. All conscientious AT hikers might consider doing the same. Our trail and shelter maintainers deserve no less support.:)

Chaco Taco
04-23-2013, 15:55
This pig always hikes with 1 extra trash bag to carry out detritus to the next available bin. All conscientious AT hikers might consider doing the same. Our trail and shelter maintainers deserve no less support.:)
Wish more folks adopted this

aficion
04-23-2013, 16:22
Wish more folks adopted this

Some will. Some won't. So
while hiking your own hike, give.
You'll be glad you did.

Gray Blazer
04-24-2013, 09:27

+1

HikerMom58
04-24-2013, 09:36

This is one reason we think you are sooo :cool: ^

FarmerChef
04-24-2013, 09:45
I struggle with this too. We try to pack out the trash we find at the shelters we stop at as well. But how do you convince people that it's their responsibility to clean up after themselves, not someone else's? So frustrating. For those who do take a moment to pick up some or all of the trash at these sites, especially when you don't "have" to, my hat's off to you. Thanks for making the trail a better place for those who are responsible.

Oh and this is why I'm adamant about teaching the scouts in my town about LNT. All of my Tigers earned their LNT award their first year and we've reviewed it ever since on every hike.

Seatbelt
04-24-2013, 12:01
I have done this stretch a bunch of times and it aint just this year that it been bad. I walked into a frat party one night in 2010 at Bald Mtn. Trashed and kids puking!!! Luckily there is plenty of spots to camp away from the shelter.

Had a similar experience last year in bad weather--it still didn't keep the local party crowd away. I read in one of the guide books that tenting is not allowed near the shelter but I wonder if the partying can sometimes do just as much damage to the ground.

AngryGerman
04-24-2013, 12:25
As a former scout w/ a long standing and ever growing history of scouts, thanks for teaching them proper LNT practices!

I really hate seeing cig. butts and aluminum foil in and around the shelter as well. If you burn something and it is not ash when you are to leave, pack it out.

Now time for my thread jack , sorry:

I think folks also have a huge misunderstanding in terms of vandalism at the shelters as well; for instance, Scout Troop such such and such was here on blank date, is considered IMO vandalism. It's awesome that your troop did maintenance there and want the world to know your support of the AT; however, the shelter wall is not the place for that. Shelters have logs and are great tools and if none are present, leave a note at the next shelter or have a plaque made with your troop number on it. This is to be said for all the thru-hikers who feel they need to mark up the shelters as well; your flip flop, yo-yo or millionth time you've thru-hiked is really... not that important to the world and really... doesn't deserve a spot on the shelter wall, floor, picinc table etc; however, it is deserving to be in the shelter logs and would be received much better by many more that see it in the logs rather than on the walls!

Just saying folks!

aficion
04-24-2013, 12:29
As a former scout w/ a long standing and ever growing history of scouts, thanks for teaching them proper LNT practices!

I really hate seeing cig. butts and aluminum foil in and around the shelter as well. If you burn something and it is not ash when you are to leave, pack it out.

Now time for my thread jack , sorry:

I think folks also have a huge misunderstanding in terms of vandalism at the shelters as well; for instance, Scout Troop such such and such was here on blank date, is considered IMO vandalism. It's awesome that your troop did maintenance there and want the world to know your support of the AT; however, the shelter wall is not the place for that. Shelters have logs and are great tools and if none are present, leave a note at the next shelter or have a plaque made with your troop number on it. This is to be said for all the thru-hikers who feel they need to mark up the shelters as well; your flip flop, yo-yo or millionth time you've thru-hiked is really... not that important to the world and really... doesn't deserve a spot on the shelter wall, floor, picinc table etc; however, it is deserving to be in the shelter logs and would be received much better by many more that see it in the logs rather than on the walls!

Just saying folks!

You got that right!

Plain Pete
06-06-2013, 09:38
Have enjoyed all the comments and am glad I'm not alone in my observations. I have often wondered why a hiker can carry a magic marker, but not a trash bag! Or why a hiker carries a can/bottle full of a liquid beverage, and having finished the heavy part, throws the light weight can/bottle somewhere on the trail. As some have suggested, we often take out trash we find on the trail. LNT sometimes means cleaning up after the piggies have left.