PDA

View Full Version : Sawyer Squeeze Mod for Platypus soft bottles?

TheYoungOne
04-23-2013, 09:57
I would have sworn I saw somewhere on the interweb a modification where you take the washer out of the Sawyer squeeze intake and replace it with something, possibly another washer, and it will make the sawyer squeeze work with Platypus soft bottles and bladders.

Does anyone know if its possible or how to do it. I really don't want to tear apart my water filter and find out I was wrong.

Carry-On
04-23-2013, 16:09
I would have sworn I saw somewhere on the interweb a modification where you take the washer out of the Sawyer squeeze intake and replace it with something, possibly another washer, and it will make the sawyer squeeze work with Platypus soft bottles and bladders.

Does anyone know if its possible or how to do it. I really don't want to tear apart my water filter and find out I was wrong.

Two of the women in my group had the Sawyer Squeeze system. Each filter had a slightly different design. Both of my friends started with the Sawyer bags and all of the bags had seam failure that allowed dirty water into the already filtered water. So they both switched to Platy bags. Not every Platy worked though. But they each found a Platy bag that did work.

The Badger had also had his Sawyer bag fail and he used a 1 Liter Orange Fanta bottle the whole rest of his hike.

I don't think you have to modify the filter (I'm pretty sure none of them did), but you do have to do a little trial and error to make sure the bag or bottle you end up with will fit and screw on tightly without leaking.

Also, Sawyer was not helpful to either of my friends, wouldn't replace anything and when the filters clogged almost completely, Sawyer just said they should have been backflushing them after every single use. So, backflush every time, and I'd add that you should pre-filter the water with a bandanna if it has anything at all in it (including swimming parasites). Those will clog a filter immediately (I know from experience).

theoilman
04-23-2013, 19:09
The Sawyer bags are definitely the weak link! Solution? Don't get in a hurry. Yes, it is advertised as a "squeeze" so you think squeeze the bag to force the water through - not a good idea. The bag seam near the fitting will not hold up to very much pressure.

I have learned, take it easy, don't squeeze - just hold it up and let gravity do its thing. It is not much slower - I'm not sure if it is even any slower. Works great and my current bag is lasting very well.

I've heard that the new ones have a better bag, but I haven't seen one yet.

l84toff
04-24-2013, 04:56
Not sure if this (http://www.rei.com/product/858765/sawyer-fast-fill-hydration-pack-adapter-kit) will help

Ironbelly
05-12-2013, 22:11
garden hose washer from any hardware store

leaftye
05-13-2013, 10:19
You can add another washer. It's a gamble that it will continue to work though. I would not take that gamble, but gamble your own health, goyh. :) Fwiw, the new Sawyer bags are supposed to be a lot better and resolve the durability issues with the old bladders. They're still cheap too. Mountain Laurel Designs is selling this. This is how I'd resolve the problem.
http://www.mountainlaureldesigns.com/shop/product_info.php?products_id=200

Namtrag
05-13-2013, 14:56
I had heard they redesigned their bags to not break so easily. We bought one last year and have had no problems with it yet, but I asked at the store when I saw the new bags looked different.

I believe some (not all) of the failure problems might be due to impatient people squeezing them too quickly as opposed to letting the water drain itself through the filter while squeezing gently..

memphistiger02
05-13-2013, 16:28
Evernew bags work well with my sawyer. I think sawyer must have changed the designs on the filter, mine doesnt have the o-ring like some of the older ones.

Swordpen
05-13-2013, 23:26
I have a Sawyer Squeeze that I bought from REI in 10/2012.

I bought a 1 liter Platypus from REI last month 4/2013. It fits the Sawyer Squeeze & doesnt leak. I have read Platypus redesigned the 2013 version, because of all the complaints that it didnt fit the Sawyer & people were trying to get the Evernew bottles which worked but have been out of stock in the USA for months.

BTW, the Sawyer also fits on the Smartwater bottle fine.

Since, however, the pores on the Sawyer are so small (which is the thing tho, thats makes this a safer (lightweight) filter), I would prefilter with a plain jane paper coffee filter, or a bandana, so as not to clog/ruin the Sawyer (& try to prevent having to backwash it so much).

If anything, the Sawyer backwash syringe, can also be used to irrigate wounds (so if you carry it, it at least can serve double duty).

HTH

Ironbelly
05-14-2013, 06:10
You can add another washer. It's a gamble that it will continue to work though. I would not take that gamble, but gamble your own health, goyh. :) Fwiw, the new Sawyer bags are supposed to be a lot better and resolve the durability issues with the old bladders. They're still cheap too. Mountain Laurel Designs is selling this. This is how I'd resolve the problem.
http://www.mountainlaureldesigns.com/shop/product_info.php?products_id=200

changing the washer would in no way affect the operation of the filter. you can replace the internal washer if it ever falls out, as well as put a washer on bags/bottles that don't mate well to prevent leaks.

leaftye
05-14-2013, 13:34
changing the washer would in no way affect the operation of the filter. you can replace the internal washer if it ever falls out, as well as put a washer on bags/bottles that don't mate well to prevent leaks.

Read again.

leaftye
05-14-2013, 13:37
I bought a 1 liter Platypus from REI last month 4/2013. It fits the Sawyer Squeeze & doesnt leak. I have read Platypus redesigned the 2013 version, because of all the complaints that it didnt fit the Sawyer & people were trying to get the Evernew bottles which worked but have been out of stock in the USA for months.

I've heard that too, but unless they're going to publicize it and give it a different model #, I'm not going to bother with it. I don't want to gamble and end up with the hassle of doing a return or exchange or having another Platypus that has no place in my system. I think it'd be great if that rumor was true, but it shouldn't be up to the customer to confirm it.

memphistiger02
05-14-2013, 13:55
See if you can find an evernew one. I know mountain laurel designs has them in stock. I got mine from greatoutdoordepot. Im sure other places have them as well. It seems solid.

kidchill
05-14-2013, 16:25
Is this the redesigned filter? I used a sawyer squeeze on my thru last year and the supplied bag broke before I got outta NH. I had a platy bag on me (I think the 2L bag) and just used that. It does screw into the filter, but you have to make sure the threads are just right...it does take some trial and error. As far as the filters being completely clogged and back-flushing; this makes absolutely no sense to me. I used the same filter for an entire thru and only back flushed 2, maybe 3 times. I would always think to do it when going into town, but always forgot. How often are they using this filter and what kind of water are they putting into it? I mean, I used only that filter for 2200 miles and it never clogged...It did, however, freeze...oops!

memphistiger02
05-15-2013, 09:41
Kidchill do you still use it after it froze? Ive been wondering about that

Wise Old Owl
05-15-2013, 10:10
Two of the women in my group had the Sawyer Squeeze system. Each filter had a slightly different design. Both of my friends started with the Sawyer bags and all of the bags had seam failure that allowed dirty water into the already filtered water. So they both switched to Platy bags. Not every Platy worked though. But they each found a Platy bag that did work.

The Badger had also had his Sawyer bag fail and he used a 1 Liter Orange Fanta bottle the whole rest of his hike.

I don't think you have to modify the filter (I'm pretty sure none of them did), but you do have to do a little trial and error to make sure the bag or bottle you end up with will fit and screw on tightly without leaking.

Also, Sawyer was not helpful to either of my friends, wouldn't replace anything and when the filters clogged almost completely, Sawyer just said they should have been backflushing them after every single use. So, backflush every time, and I'd add that you should pre-filter the water with a bandanna if it has anything at all in it (including swimming parasites). Those will clog a filter immediately (I know from experience).

Is that common? and what the hell are we supposed to back flush with?

Trail Ponderer
05-15-2013, 10:21
I have the older version bags and have not had a problem yet but I am very gentle with putting pressure on the bag. Squeezing the bag doesn't seem too increase the flow very much as others have said. I use the Smartwater bottles also and have seen some hikers using the smartwater bottle as their dirty reservoir and attaching to the filter using no bags at all. I have a Evernew bladder as a backup that I picked up from traildesigns.com. They look like they are currently in stock.

Trail Ponderer
05-15-2013, 10:25
To Wise Old Owl - there is a syringe that is included with the filter that you use to backflush the filter.

memphistiger02
05-15-2013, 11:10
I watched a video of a thru hiker that said he backflushed his by putting clean water in his mouth and forcing it through the sawyer squeeze, he said he only did it like 3 or 4 times on the trail.

bfayer
05-15-2013, 11:46
To Wise Old Owl - there is a syringe that is included with the filter that you use to backflush the filter.

I dumped to syringe and picked up a tornado tube and a couple of hose washers.

Once I fill my platy with my squeeze, I flip the whole thing over and squeeze the platy for a second to back flush.

Works like a charm and keeps my platy from falling over when I fill it with the squeeze filter.

markdek
05-15-2013, 17:44
The Sawyer bags are definitely the weak link! Solution? Don't get in a hurry. Yes, it is advertised as a "squeeze" so you think squeeze the bag to force the water through - not a good idea. The bag seam near the fitting will not hold up to very much pressure.

I have learned, take it easy, don't squeeze - just hold it up and let gravity do its thing. It is not much slower - I'm not sure if it is even any slower. Works great and my current bag is lasting very well.

I've heard that the new ones have a better bag, but I haven't seen one yet.

I can confirm, in an email from Sawyer, that there is no Sawyer Squeeze bag.......it's just a redesign of the graphics/text and the color blue. Sawyer says, the bags have always been fine and that the only problem was that the public/us needed to be educated not to force the bags when the filter was clogged etc. So once again, the functional design/materials of the squeeze bags have NOT changed for 2013.

markdek
05-15-2013, 17:45
Sorry, apparently you can't edit posts...so let me add, there is no "new" bag for 2013.

Namtrag
05-15-2013, 19:26
Evidence to the contrary. Wonder what the real story is?

http://hikelighter.com/2013/01/20/sawyer-squeeze-updated-2013-version/

memphistiger02
05-16-2013, 09:54
I bought a bag from mountain laurel and it is different than the old bags. Either way I now use an evernew because I know it will hold up.

markdek
05-16-2013, 12:58
Evidence to the contrary. Wonder what the real story is?

http://hikelighter.com/2013/01/20/sawyer-squeeze-updated-2013-version/

Direct email response from Sawyer:

"Thanks for taking the time to find out the facts. (Because everyone knows if its on the internet its just got to be true -LOL). Our marketing people decided the old grafics were not "fun" enough for the outdoor crowd and we switched to a more colorful bag. At about the same time we added a warning sheet to the product that the pouches were not indistructable and that if you squeeze to hard - either trying to get water too fast through the filter or trying to push water through a dirty filter - the pouches with fail. The problem went away. All it took was a little education, not a design change.
But you gotta love the inter net..............
"

This is not an "article" or a "review", but an email from Sawyer................

Namtrag
05-16-2013, 16:20
Pretty cool Markdek.

Just question why someone would blatantly lie about the product. It's not bending the facts, it's actual lying.

Oh well.

memphistiger02
05-16-2013, 16:51
That is weird.

TheYoungOne
05-16-2013, 22:36
Actually there are new options out there since the first time I posted this question. You may already have noticed more and more knock-off hiker gear for the "civilian" market. Apparently like patagonia nano puff jacket, and sea to summit collapsible cups and bowls, Platypus soft bottles are the new knock off victim. The First one I bought was the Vaspur soft bottle. About the same price as a playpus, and unfortunately they copied platypus so well that the thread are almost the same, and will not line up with the sawyer and will leak everywhere.

However yesterday in my travels I noticed a "Sun & Sky" 16oz collapsible water bottle in CVS for only "$1.99" !!! I said what the heck, and bought it. Well so far in my testing, its a perfect match for the sawyer squeeze and works great. Weight of the bag without the included I even squeezed the bag and got "rough" with it and still no issues. I noticed another similar looking but different brand name 16oz soft bottle knock off in Wallgreens, for $2.99 that I might also buy and try. I'll keep you all posted

TheYoungOne
05-16-2013, 22:39
Arrgghh I hate when WB crashes when you post. The bag weigh only .8oz without the carabiner. At least now was have other options.

markdek
05-17-2013, 16:06
Despite no "new" bag, I've decided to go w/ the squeeze system, and also ordered the line adapters AND the batter quick connection adapter. Got 20% off on current REI anniversary sale.

zukiguy
05-18-2013, 20:25
I love the squeeze but use it as a "closed" system. My camelbak has a quick release at the bite valve. I have a short length of hose attached to the output adapter of the filter and the matching quick disconnect on the other end. I use it strictly as a gravity setup. First thing I do at a lunch stop or in camp is scoop some water and get it re-filling. This way my bladder never has to come out of my pack. I can refill my 3L bladder in about 2 minutes with no squeezing or pumping. It doesn't get much easier.

Swordpen
05-19-2013, 02:27
Here is some more evidence to the contrary:

"January 15, Ron Bell from Mountain Laurel Designs announced on their facebook page that a new 2013 version of the Sawyer Squeeze had been released."

https://www.facebook.com/groups/131793047725/permalink/10151349142532726/

markdek
05-19-2013, 03:25
Here is some more evidence to the contrary:

"January 15, Ron Bell from Mountain Laurel Designs announced on their facebook page that a new 2013 version of the Sawyer Squeeze had been released."

https://www.facebook.com/groups/131793047725/permalink/10151349142532726/

I also emailed Mountain Laurel Designs, and got, what I can only say, is a nonsensical answer in poorly written english. No direct comment about my email from Sawyer.

They say: "*Basically, the ones we have are the newest ones and are quite tough and are very different from the ones of a year ago."

But, Sawyer themselves say NO.

You figure it out.

Swordpen
05-19-2013, 13:51
I know, its confusing. I just took a leap, & bought that Platy from REI & its working (as is the slim 1 L Smartwater bottle).

markdek
05-19-2013, 14:59
I know, its confusing. I just took a leap, & bought that Platy from REI & its working (as is the slim 1 L Smartwater bottle).

Which "Platy" did you get specifically?

TheYoungOne
05-19-2013, 22:19
Just an update from my last post. It seems the Wallgreens bottles are almost exactly the same as the CVS ones. Both work fine with no leaks. At least there are cheap mylar bag replacement options for those thru hiking, and those wanting a flat folding 16oz dirty water container for their Sawyer Squeeze.

Swordpen, you tested the new Platy with "water" right? Sometimes everything seems to fit fine when dry, but it turns into a complete dribbling mess when you test it with water. It would be nice to have something larger than 16oz and very durable like a 1L platy softbottle .

markdek
05-21-2013, 20:40
Just got my Sawyer Squeeze from REI, w/ the bladder and inline adapters. It does come w/ the outflow (gray) adapter, and .5, 1, and 2 liter bags (the new blue ones). Seems to be working. I also can confirm that the smart water bottle fits.

I heard people mentioning also using Gatorade bottles, but they don't fit because the mouths are too large.

Once the filter is wetted, it basically will flow/filter the water without any squeezing.

More to come later.

markdek
05-21-2013, 21:14
Just got my Sawyer Squeeze from REI, w/ the bladder and inline adapters. It does come w/ the outflow (gray) adapter, and .5, 1, and 2 liter bags (the new blue ones). Seems to be working. I also can confirm that the smart water bottle fits.

I heard people mentioning also using Gatorade bottles, but they don't fit because the mouths are too large.

Once the filter is wetted, it basically will flow/filter the water without any squeezing.

More to come later.

Sorry, it comes with the "dirty" side hose adapter, not the clean side.

CenAZwalker
05-23-2013, 16:37
I am really curious about this. Two people who claim the "new" bags are more durable, per Sawyer . . . and a quoted email from Sawyer stating, aside from the graphics, they are the same bags.

Direct email response from Sawyer:

"Thanks for taking the time to find out the facts. (Because everyone knows if its on the internet its just got to be true -LOL). Our marketing people decided the old grafics were not "fun" enough for the outdoor crowd and we switched to a more colorful bag. At about the same time we added a warning sheet to the product that the pouches were not indistructable and that if you squeeze to hard - either trying to get water too fast through the filter or trying to push water through a dirty filter - the pouches with fail. The problem went away. All it took was a little education, not a design change.
But you gotta love the inter net..............
"

This is not an "article" or a "review", but an email from Sawyer................

Namtrag
05-23-2013, 16:47
I asked if they were new on their facebook page, and no one ever responded.

CenAZwalker
05-23-2013, 16:56
I just sent them an email. I'll post the reply when/if I get one.

Swordpen
05-23-2013, 22:39
I got this one, & yes I put water in it, & used the sawyer squeeze.

http://www.rei.com/product/768123/platypus-plusbottle-1-liter-water-bottle-with-pushpull-cap

daddywoodsman
05-24-2013, 00:59
I purchased the new bags and they are different. I can't speak of durability yet.

bfayer
05-24-2013, 17:41
I purchased the new bags and they are different. I can't speak of durability yet.

Can you weight them? Changing the color of the ink should not change the weight, so if they are measurably heavier that would be a good indication.

TheYoungOne
05-28-2013, 16:25
I got this one, & yes I put water in it, & used the sawyer squeeze.

http://www.rei.com/product/768123/platypus-plusbottle-1-liter-water-bottle-with-pushpull-cap

Sweet...thanks.

daddywoodsman
05-30-2013, 00:37
I will weigh them this weekend and let you know.

aclawrence
06-01-2013, 22:11
I just got my Sawyer squeeze in from REI but haven't got to try it out yet. There are a lot of mods for the filter on the Hammock Forum site. It's a little disappointing seeing the lack of support from the Sawyer company. I had a part break on my Katadyn Hiker and sent them an email. They responded the next day and sent me all the stuff I needed to fix the filter. Sounds more like Sawyer is just going to blame the user anytime there is an issue. Either way it seems to be a winner of a filter.

daddywoodsman
06-03-2013, 12:26
the new one is 7 grams heavier

bfayer
06-03-2013, 13:43
the new one is 7 grams heavier

Not much change. I don't see how the bags could be much different with only a 7 gram change from the original.

OK, now sacrifice your new bag, cut it open and tell us what the inside looks like :)

OK not really. But if you do have a blow out, it would be nice to be able to compare the material side by side with the old.

CenAZwalker
06-03-2013, 14:08
No reply yet.