PDA

View Full Version : interesting new stove

elytis
04-23-2013, 10:21
My dad found this the other day and since its so cool and interesting I figured I would share it

http://shop.biolitestove.com/BioLite-CampStove_p_15.html

I'm thinking of getting one. At 2lbs it's a bit heavy but maybe worth it for the charger as I use my iPhone for pictures and videos

treesloth
04-23-2013, 10:26
Not necessarily that that new, but definitely interesting... And heavy. Read the reviews on it... It does not have the charging performance of a solar charger (with a fair amount of sunlight available).

aficion
04-23-2013, 10:29
Not necessarily that that new, but definitely interesting... And heavy. Read the reviews on it... It does not have the charging performance of a solar charger (with a fair amount of sunlight available).

It turns out to be like alot of new energy tech...............it works, but not well enough to replace existing tech.

da fungo
04-23-2013, 14:44
In the date I've read on this stove, it puts out only 400 milliamps. Typically, I believe, an iPhone is rated to use a 1 amp (1,000 milliamp) charger. So, this stove WOULD charge your iPhone, if you kept it burning all night long.

You might want to sleep, though.

da fungo
04-23-2013, 14:45
In the date I've read on this stove, it puts out only 400 milliamps. Typically, I believe, an iPhone is rated to use a 1 amp (1,000 milliamp) charger. So, this stove WOULD charge your iPhone, if you kept it burning all night long.

You might want to sleep, though.

That should be "...data I've read...". Sorry about that.

Hot Flash
04-23-2013, 16:31
It probably won't charge an iPhone at that amperage, because you're going to get that lovely pop-up message on your phone that "This device is not supported".

Wise Old Owl
04-23-2013, 20:09
As a group backpacking... 2 lbs is more about back of car camping... Wait for TEGS to get attached to something better.

fizz3499
04-23-2013, 20:50
Some people out on the trail have already sent theirs home. Not only are they heavy, they take forever to charge anything ( the heat powers the fan first). You also need just the right size of dry wood for them . I had thought about buying one myself glad I didn't.

HooKooDooKu
04-23-2013, 22:24
It probably won't charge an iPhone at that amperage, because you're going to get that lovely pop-up message on your phone that "This device is not supported".

iPhone 5 and iPhone 4s are on their list of supported devices: http://www.biolitestove.com/media/BioLite_DeviceCompatibilityList.PDF
(Based on Lab Tests and user feedback).

2 lbs isn't AWFUL when you facter in not having to carry any fuel or a solar charger. To me, the real question is performance... just how much effort do you have to put into the device to charge a phone or cook a meal?

Kookork
04-23-2013, 22:36
It is a base camp type of stove and an emergency charger ( not a practical routine charger). The design is nice and works as a smokeless stove but nowhere near a charging device. If you want to make one emergency call and your cell phone has run out of battery , it is a viable option but not for regular charging.

Theosus
04-25-2013, 23:08
The computer USB port puts out 500 ma and it charges a phone... I don't think you equate amperage with charging speed. After all an iPad charger is 2 amps, but it doesn't charge my phone 4 times as fast as the pc.
I would rather take a Cat stove and my little iPhone AA battery charger.... Of course I'm not thru hiking, that would be a lot of batteries.