PDA

View Full Version : Best way to Northern Terminus from St. Albans

Donde
04-23-2013, 16:34
Does anyone have a suggested shuttler in the area or any knowledge of the hitching situation? This would be for July of this year. Thanks.

Donde
04-25-2013, 04:55
Nobody?? Ok let me see if I can make this more interesting. So my on a SOBO LDH my dog is thinking on detouring around the AT from Hanover to Rutland (which he already did on a NOBO) taking Amtrak from White River Junction to St. Albans and hitching or shuttling to Journey's End, and going doing the LT SOBO and then continuing on. So if anyone has any thoughts on that thanks. FYI the dog has a CCL and will be armed, doesn't filter water and does not want to start from Amicola.

That should get an answer!

Deacon
04-25-2013, 05:30
I will be headed to St. Albans on June 25th and will hike the LT into July, so I've done a little research. Here's what I know unless someone has a better plan.

There is a local shuttle bus that runs from St. Albans to Richford. The problem is it only runs once a day, and the morning bus runs the wrong direction, Richford to St. Albans. However, I called the bus line and they said the buses are actually stored in St. Albans, and if you get to a specified pickup point early enough (4:30 - 5:00am) you can hitch free to Richford.

Once you are at Richford, you're only about 10 miles from the trail. I'm not sure from that point but should be fairly easy to find a ride to the trailhead.

If you want to talk to the shuttle, their number is 802.527.2181. Maybe I'll see you on the trail!

peakbagger
04-25-2013, 06:35
Most of the traffic on the highway from Richford is heading east over to Newport and I-91, you have a good likelihood of getting picked up. The highway goes right across the LT. If you want to go to Journeys end Shelter, you would have to get a ride from a local who is in the mood to go out of their way as its very rural at the end of a dead end road. I have hiked from the highway to the Border post in about 2 hours so there is a lot to be said for just doing an out and back from the highway to the border and then hike back again and skip Journeys end Shelter (which is not on the LT). The woods are fairly open on the LT north of the highway so I expect you could find a camping spot in there.

Old Hillwalker
04-25-2013, 06:39
I hitchhiked from the VT 100 intersection below the Long Trail Inn to North Jay in 6 hours. Late June. Nice day, lots of rides. Make a sign "N Jay". I stayed at a B&B in N Jay and they took me to the Journey's End trailhead the next AM.

Donde
04-25-2013, 09:18
Thanks for the great info gang! See you on the high ground.