PDA

View Full Version : Top thru-hike hammock

hammockhunter
04-23-2013, 20:26
Hey guys this is my first post here. I'm a new hammock camper. I have a grand trunk skeeter beeter and I have used it a few times. I really like it but it is to large for a thru hike I think. So I was wondering what other hammock you guys have used. Thanks

kayak karl
04-23-2013, 21:06
i use a Hennessy ultra-lite explorer in summer (bug time) and a DIY in the winter.

WILLIAM HAYES
04-23-2013, 23:05
warbonnet blackbird double bottom with a McCat Delux tarp from Outdoor Equipment supply

T-Rx
04-24-2013, 09:33
WBBB 1.1 dbl with a superfly tarp.

gunner76
04-24-2013, 09:56
WB BB 1.1 and or a 1.7 BB double and a Hammock Gear Cuben tarp

scope
04-26-2013, 13:44
Hey guys this is my first post here. I'm a new hammock camper. I have a grand trunk skeeter beeter and I have used it a few times. I really like it but it is to large for a thru hike I think. So I was wondering what other hammock you guys have used. Thanks

Too large? Its a small, 9' hammock. You must mean too heavy? I would not call it too heavy at 20oz for a netted hammock. My 11' hammock is 12oz, but no net. There's an interesting lightweight option at www.arrowhead-equipment.com called a HUG - its a half net and will get you under 20oz with the more comfortable and longer hammock. There's also an interesting and lightweight hammock made by Molly Mac at this co-op site... www.outdoortrailgear.com

Deadeye
04-26-2013, 14:00
WBBB plus Speer Winter Tarp - comfy and roomy and reasonable weight

hammockhunter
04-27-2013, 16:00
Too large? Its a small, 9' hammock. You must mean too heavy? I would not call it too heavy at 20oz for a netted hammock. My 11' hammock is 12oz, but no net. There's an interesting lightweight option at www.arrowhead-equipment.com (http://www.arrowhead-equipment.com) called a HUG - its a half net and will get you under 20oz with the more comfortable and longer hammock. There's also an interesting and lightweight hammock made by Molly Mac at this co-op site... www.outdoortrailgear.com (http://www.outdoortrailgear.com)

Mine is 10.5' long and really wide and heavy. It's good and comfortable for weekends and short trips but to much for a long hike.

BigHodag
04-27-2013, 22:42
A skeeter-beater is fine for the trail. I've been thinking about upgrading to one since I use just a simple, open hammock. With a skeeter-beater, you won't need to deploy the tarp unless rain is likely or its windy. The mesh will keep out bugs and tree debris.

Why don't you just buy a tarp to over it and some stakes? If your hammock, tarp & pad are about 3 lbs or less, you're fine.