PDA

View Full Version : Important Places Along the Trail?

rutherfordmills
04-24-2013, 04:44
Hello there,

I posted a thread a while ago about a photo story I'm attempting about the Appalachian Trail, asking for thru hikers who would be interested in participating (which I'm still looking for btw.) But I'd like to know what things other than hikers you guys think I should document. I'm looking for any suggestions to what you think is important to the trail or just something interesting that's related, possibly some of the best views or shelters along the trail, most accommodating hiker friendly hostels, an interesting intersection of the trail like crossing a highway or interstate, etc. Is there anyone along the trail who sets up their homes for hikers to stay in? I've heard of a man somewhere in Virginia that lets hikers pitch their tents in his yard, does anyone know who that might be? I'm heading down to Tennessee in three weeks to get started and I'm going to try to see as much as I can. I'll be in Damascus for Trail Days if any of y'all will be there, too.

I'l give you a list of some of the things I already have in mind to see.

Happy Hiker Hostel in GA
Roan Highlands
McAfee Knob
Humpback Rocks
Tom Levardi's place in MA
Franconia Ridge
Standing Bear Farm

rutherfordmills
04-24-2013, 04:45
Also, could you name any towns that the trail passes right through?

Bronk
04-24-2013, 06:18
You'll want to see the wild ponies in the Grayson Highlands of Virginia. You'll want to see Max Patch just south of Hot Springs. Seeing Fontana Dam from high up on a ridge was a sight. The ridge walks through the smoky mountains are just awesome. Whitetop just north of Damascus. There are so many places. Just get out there and hike.

flemdawg1
04-24-2013, 10:56
Springer Mtn.
Long Creek Falls

Blood Mtn.
Neels Gap
Bly Gap (GA-NC State Line)
Albert Mtn.
Wesser Bald Tower
NOC
Fontana Dam
Clingman's Dome
Views from the trail between Charlie's Bunion and Tri-Corner Knob (seems like one long stretch with awesome views)
Mt Cammerer Fire Tower
Hot Springs
Lovers Leap Rock (and the Climb to get to it)
Rich Mtn Fire Tower
Big Bald
Uncle Johnny's
Beauty Spot
Unaka Mtn
Roan Mtn.
Overmountain Shelter
Hump Mtn
Kincora Hostel
Damascus, VA
Whitetop Mtn
Grayson Highlands
Partnership Shelter
Chestnut Knob Shelter

Harpers Ferry, WV
Washington Monument (the original one in MD)
Doyle Hotel, Duncannon, PA

And thats about the extent of my section hiking

Dogwood
04-24-2013, 11:32
The BIG Oaks in VA and at Pawling NY. The Nature Conservancy Lands outside of Pawling on the boardwalks. The high elev. bogs on floating boardwalks in ME. Mahoosuc Notch. How many waterfall pics do you want? Amicalola, Long Crk , Crabtree, Dismal, Thundering, etc. Damascus VA, Hot Springs, NC, Harpers Ferry WV, Hanover NH, etc. Fire Towers - Shukstack, Cammerer, all in VT(Glastenbury, Bromley, etc), etc. Pics of native wildflowers extending virtually endless into the forest. Shelters. Overlooks - so many named and un-named! Rivers and water crossings- canoe crossing with the white blaze painted on the bottom of the canoe. Lakes, Reservoirs, Ponds. Bridges - so many - some quite large - some very small. Monasteries. Cemeteries. Old homesteads. Historical sites. Geological features - escarpments, crags, LARGE rocks, etc

I could go on and on and on....I get what you doing. It's admirable! I know folks sometimes want a highlight presentation. However, what SOME DO NOT realize, non hikers and hikers alike, is that long distance hiking DOES NOT just involve hiking. A hike can LITERALLY entail EQUAL IMPORTANCE with each and every step! Hiking the AT is about traveling through AMERICA having experiences that FEW REALIZE EVEN EXIST! And, fewer have experienced!

BillyGr
04-25-2013, 22:07
Also, could you name any towns that the trail passes right through?

Dalton and Cheshire, Massachusetts come to mind immediately