PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone Scotch Guard their rain jacket?

wornoutboots
04-24-2013, 15:11
May be a stupid question but where my jacket bunches up water seeps in over time?

Smooth & Wasabi
04-24-2013, 21:33
They only reference I remember hearing was I believe Andrew Skurka using it to make a vapor barrier suit out of rain gear. So I don't think it would breathe well but would probably waterproof worn areas.

The Cleaner
04-25-2013, 07:54
Depending on what brand/type of rain jacket you have it may have reached it's fabric's useful lifetime.Some jackets can be retreated with various chemicals to restore it's water repellant quality.With the prices at less than 100$ new jackets are not made to last a lifetime.I have noticed on one of my rain jackets over 10 years old that the seam sealant is flaking off...

Old Hiker
04-25-2013, 08:11
I've used Camp-Dri a lot and it works pretty well. I've sprayed my hat, fleece mittens, rain jacket, boots, etc. You can find it at Wally-World, etc.

http://www.amazon.com/Kiwi-Camp-Heavy-Water-Repellent/dp/B000HJ7CLY

peakbagger
04-25-2013, 08:57
Most rain gear comes with a water resistant coating applied at the factory. Some of systems they use can be reactivated by heat using drier but check with the manufacturer. Eventually the coating wears off and Scotchguard type sprays can bring back some performance but it doesnt last as long as the original finish. Most of the products are just silicone mixed with some sort of nasty solvent. Whatever you do dont spray indoors!

The Ace
04-25-2013, 10:37
I use Scotch Guard when I am hiking through the heather in order to keep at a distance those little buggers hiking along singing:

Gin a body meet a body
Comin thro' the rye,
Gin a body kiss a body,
Need a body cry?

Works better than pepper spray.