PDA

View Full Version : help!

earli bird
04-24-2013, 18:07
I am going to start a sobo hike in Monson Me. this week. I am a little concerned that I cant find any info on starting this early? Any advice would be appreciated.

wornoutboots
04-24-2013, 18:36
You live in Maine, so you should know the weather. Other than that, you may have to road walk @ a few raging streams, Watch the weather & have a Great hike!!

bigcranky
04-24-2013, 19:37
I think that's because not many people start sobo in Maine in April.... Have a great hike, though.

earli bird
04-24-2013, 20:09
You live in Maine, so you should know the weather. Other than that, you may have to road walk @ a few raging streams, Watch the weather & have a Great hike!!

Yeah your prob right just my first time backpacking long distance. Thank you for the encouraging words.:o

Turk6177
04-24-2013, 20:36
I hope you beat the mosquitoes and black flies. Have a great time.

bigcranky
04-24-2013, 20:47
You could call Shaw's in Monson and ask about the trail conditions. I would not want to try Maine and New Hampshire this time of year, but I've lived in the South for 30 years and lost any cold-hardiness I might have had growing up in PA. Also, too, the trail conditions might be kinda sucky.

http://www.shawslodging.com/

aficion
04-24-2013, 21:05
If it really is your first long distance hike, and you are not trolling, just don't do it. You apparently can use a computer, so just look around and find out the reasons why.

earli bird
04-24-2013, 21:11
That's just what I am hoping too. Thank you!!

earli bird
04-24-2013, 21:12
Will do thanks kranky.

bigcranky
04-25-2013, 08:24
I think what people are gently trying to tell you is that it's probably not a great idea to be on the AT in Maine this time of year. Thru-hikers wait until June or July to start, not only because Katahdin doesn't usually open until late May, but also because of the trail conditions. To quote the ATC web site (and they are talking about June here): "Ferocious black flies, high water at stream crossings, wet and muddy trail characterize the A.T...." May is going to be worse, if anything.

Not to dissuade you, but make sure you are hitting the trail with your eyes wide open and all that.

Grampie
04-25-2013, 08:36
I would be very cautious starting a AT hike in Maine this time of year unless you are a experienced winter backpacker. Maine still has snow on all of it's higher elevations. Temps. can still drop to the teens at night. Snow melt causes most water to be high and run strong. You will have to ford several streams that will be over knee deep. The black fly season is just starting. These bugs can be brutal. You will probably be alone. Most folks will not venture out on the AT in Maine until mid June.
If you still want to go, be very carefull.

earli bird
04-25-2013, 21:14
I would be very cautious starting a AT hike in Maine this time of year unless you are a experienced winter backpacker. Maine still has snow on all of it's higher elevations. Temps. can still drop to the teens at night. Snow melt causes most water to be high and run strong. You will have to ford several streams that will be over knee deep. The black fly season is just starting. These bugs can be brutal. You will probably be alone. Most folks will not venture out on the AT in Maine until mid June.
If you still want to go, be very carefull.

Okay, thank you guys I'll be careful not to get in over my head if it looks too snowy at high elevations Ill avoid them we are supposed to have temps pushing the seventies at lower elevations thru next weekend so I am gonna go for it. Once again thanks for the advice. take care and trust in God!

Deadeye
04-26-2013, 01:09
Trust in common sense... god's busy. SOBO from Monson in April will lead to a failed hike. Mud in te lower elevations, snow up high. Find something else to do for a few weeks.

prain4u
04-26-2013, 22:17
High temperatures--might sound good AT FIRST GLANCE. However, warm temperatures also means--more (and more rapid) snow melt. It also means more water and more mud on trails (and more slipping and more chance of falling). More rapid spring snow melt means more little creeks becoming raging rivers and more dry creek beds becoming creeks. I am an experienced hiker with lots of survival training--and I don't think that I would want to hike the AT in Maine most years. Can it be doe? SURE! Are the risks big? Potentially. Can the weather change from pleasant to scary (or dangerous) very quickly? Yep! Will mud, snow, water and coldness PROBABLY make it a pretty miserable slog through less-than-great trail conditions? I would almost guarantee it. I would wait a month or even better--wait two months to start.