PDA

View Full Version : UL pack size/volume

Tree Nerd
04-24-2013, 22:39
For you UL hikers, what is your pack size (volume)? I plan on switching to summer stuff during my thru and I'm thinking about using my Mountainsmith 30L Centennial but I'm not sure I would have enough room for very much food unless I drop my tent & sleeping pad and replace with my hammock. Is 30L a reasonable size?

MuddyWaters
04-24-2013, 22:49
My packs are pretty big, ULA Ohm and Circuit.
I want ability to carry 7-10 days food

With a full food load, CCF pad, tent, raingear all may go in outer pockets
As food volume drops, put stuff inside if want
Dont stuff sleeping bag, never have had a compression issue, it will fill the pack as needed.

I think including the outer pockets, Ohm is about 3900, and Circuit is 4200.
The main bag of each is much smaller. about 2800 cuin with extension collar on circuit, and a little less on Ohm.

Tree Nerd
04-24-2013, 22:56
Okay, I could easily see myself using my centennial for a weekend trip but not long distance. Im going to try it when I go to trail days and see how it works for me, how much room a I have to play with, and what I can drop to make more room. If it turns out I can make enough room for a weeks worth of food I will take it but I doubt that will happen.

Swordpen
04-25-2013, 01:14
ULA Ohm 2.0.

can carry 5 days of food,3 L water. If you want more, tie it on the outside of the pack. Tis pack will handle 30 # in my experience.

for less $, use a REI flash 50. Only like 2 oz more when stripped, than the Ohm, but $100 less on REI outlet.

maybe clem
04-25-2013, 01:59
My Golite Gust is 5000+ cu in (80+ liters) and weighs 22 ounces.

Malto
04-25-2013, 07:05
I suspect you will want a larger pack but this is only based on one word, tent. I carry a MLD burn which lists a 32L main compartment. With extremely low volume gear, 8 lb base, it was overloaded for some of food carrys on the PCT. unless you ditch the tent AND have low volume tent you will have even less space than I did. Go find a bucket or box with 30L volume and start putting your gear in. Then load up say a three day THRU hiker food carry and see how much volume it takes. 2/3rds of my pack volume on my thru was food. A weeks worth of food, no way.

Finally, is there a reason you are looking to take such a small pack?

Maddog
04-25-2013, 08:29
Most of the time I carry my modified ULA CDT...17oz and 55L...$135! Maddog:D

Tree Nerd
04-25-2013, 08:55
Finally, is there a reason you are looking to take such a small pack?

I have a 55L that im taking to start with, just wondering if it would be possible to fit my summer gear into my day pack.

MuddyWaters
04-25-2013, 19:02
Important to note the actual pack volume on ULA packs are small. The main bag of the circuit is only 45L, and the main bag of the Ohm a little less, maybe 40 L. Even though the official volumes are 70L for circuit, and 65L for Ohm.

but when you start sticking stuff in the outside pockets, thats why they can carry what they do. It lets you carry a lot of food at first, then move gear inside as food volume drops. by end of trip, even my bulky CCF pads are inside, except the small one I sit on at breaks.

They are much much much much smaller packs than a 65 or 70L pack from a regular mfg that measures only the main bag, which is the industry standard.

The Elemental Horizons Aquillo, and the SMD starlight are freaking HUGE packs by comparison. My winter gear wouldnt even fill a Starlite.

Dogwood
04-26-2013, 01:12
Most of the time I carry my modified ULA CDT...17oz and 55L...$135! Maddog:D

My GO TO 3 season(sometimes for winter hikes too) UL backpack is a modified ULA CDT(med/lg torso, lg hip belt, Dyneema) weighing in a tad under 20 oz. I can comfortably haul 30 lbs in it and push it with 8 days chow but mostly resupply about every 5 days. I can get a Bear Vault BV 450 Solo in it if need be. When you find something that supports your hiking philosophy and kind of hiking you do, like a BACKPACK, even though you may be an ULer, IT IS NOT ALWAYS WISE TO ABANDON THAT TO CHASE AWAY A FEW OZS! It's a BIG misconception among ULers that to be an ULer you ALWAYS have to be shaving off ozs! I say that DOES NOT have to be! Lighter wt IS NOT ALWAYS BETTER! That's blasphemous in MANY UL circles and not always readily understood or accepted especially when ULers are riding that UL Merry-Go-Round or in hot pursuit of the UL Holy Grail but at some pt you have top ask yourself, "what am I here to do - contentedly hike or wage a UL gear war being enamored with every latest greatest slightly lighter wt piece of gear that suddenly arrives on the UL gear market?"

Dogwood
04-26-2013, 01:16
In other words, I think what MW is saying is the MAIN interior volume of ULA packs is small. Not so sure that's always the case or a fair comparison though especially when compared to like volume like backpack wt backpacks.

Dogwood
04-26-2013, 01:17
Oh, the ULA CDT is 3370 cubes(55.3 L).